Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oily engine/underbody parts after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 03:16 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,347 Likes on 808 Posts

Regarding the mess created during a 981 oil change, someone I respect has indicated that when he does oil changes in these cars he first drains the oil from the pan and then starts the engine and lets it run for 3-4 seconds. This takes most of the oil out of the filter housing and makes for a far less sloppy situation. Comments, shock, disbelief, horror?
Old 10-30-2018, 09:16 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

So I had the car back in the dealership and they told me they didn't clean up properly, they took it in and cleaned it but no apologies. Insane enough that they are charging 400 bucks for a simple oil change, but than doing a dirty job and not apologize? I had to drive 1 hour each way and wait another 30 minutes to have their mess fixed. They did as it was normal. Good that Porsche has these surveys, even though I am still not sure if I want to throw the mechanic (who makes probably less than 15 bucks per hour) under the bus. It is more the dealership and how they handle all this. I also think they should better train their people. Anyway, lesson learned, next time I will go to my indy and save time and headache.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I wouldn’t be shy about noting your issues when you submit the review.

I threw the local KC dealer service department under the bus when they didn’t reset my service light after an oil change. They literally said it wasn’t part of the fee and I would have to pay $150 more to have the full inspection done before service light can be reset. Needless to say the service manager emailed me after they got a poor review from me to offer a reset at no charge. Too little too late, I already decided I wasn’t going to bring the car back there.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:26 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I wouldn’t be shy about noting your issues when you submit the review.

I threw the local KC dealer service department under the bus when they didn’t reset my service light after an oil change. They literally said it wasn’t part of the fee and I would have to pay $150 more to have the full inspection done before service light can be reset. Needless to say the service manager emailed me after they got a poor review from me to offer a reset at no charge. Too little too late, I already decided I wasn’t going to bring the car back there.
I just broke up the survey, If I would have answered all questions honestly, one or two people might have been in big trouble. I think this whole thing is not worth it, I rather have a good night sleep than having people potentially fired based on my survey. It is very simple, I will just avoid this dealership in the future and for oil changes and other simple service issues I will go to my indy.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:04 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I wouldn't be happy to have other people subject to incompetence (or myself for a warranty claim). Let them explain to Porsche.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:04 AM
dj97223
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there anyone in, or formerly in, the business that can comment on how Porsche uses these survey results?

Quick Reply: Oily engine/underbody parts after oil change