Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X73 suspension: PDK vs Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 09:54 AM
bminingham
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
1) Was it a dealership tech that did the installation or a highly experienced indy Porsche tech?
2) Are you 100% sure the parts were all correct for a complete X73 kit? IOW, where did you get the parts?
3) The car you are comparing to, are you sure it has no other mods, is a correct OEM X73 suspension installed correctly?
4) Where are you measuring? I assume both cars are 981 cars. If so, measure from the bottom edge of the fender open, over the top of the tire, down along the tire and wheel to the ground. Compare both cars measuring the same way. What is the difference?
5) It's possible to not let the struts settle all the way to their fully seated position and clamping them in place, thereby causing a higher than normal ride height. Back to question 1, was it a qualified tech? Some Porsche dealer techs may have never done a X73 retrofit. I had a Porsche dealer botch a PSE retro fit, had another dealer un-f**k it for me.
I purchased the car from Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota, FL. I had their sales dept. order the X73 kit from Suncoast Parts which happens to be on the same property. The car was originally spec'd with stock suspension so it definitely was lower when I took possession, plus they gave me all of the original OEM suspension parts. The dealer did the install, not an indy shop. However, I was told that the tech doing the install does most of the dealers work on their cayman race cars that they race - so he is experienced and my sales guy was excited to put him on the job. They also installed the updated steering wheel and OEM spacers at the time without issue.

I just measured from the ground to the wheel arch. It's just a tick under 27" on the front right, and just a tick over 27" on the front left. Both rears are 27.75". The fronts from the center of the lugs to the wheel arch are both basically 14.25". All tire pressures are equal. I have 20" OEM wheels with OEM size Eagle F1 tires.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:02 AM
bminingham
Racer

OK so a friend of mine, also with X73, just measured the same; 26.5" from the ground to the wheel arch on the fronts and 13.5" from the center of lugs to the wheel arch. Guess that says it all - I am basically .5" higher up...

Can anyone else with X73 post their measurements?
Old 04-02-2020, 10:43 AM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Did the dealer give you a receipt with the part numbers on it? Can you see the part numbers on the struts?
Old 04-02-2020, 10:50 AM
bminingham
Racer

Originally Posted by WAILN6
Did the dealer give you a receipt with the part numbers on it? Can you see the part numbers on the struts?
I can't see the part #'s on the car itself, would need to take into a shop to do that. But I do have the original invoice for the parts when I bought the car. The suspension purchased was part # 981-055-400-04. This looks like the correct #, but it does mention it as a "retrofit kit". Not sure if that' the same as the OEM X73 that would have been installed form the factory. The parts originally shipped from Germany.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:47 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

For additional reference data (I got curious), here are the specs from my '14 Boxster S with factory equipped X73, 17,000 miles, new Continental Extreme Sports in OEM sizes on 19 inch OEM wheels.:

RF 26.75"
LF 26.75"
RR 27.75"
LR 27.75"

Front wheel centers to wheel arch were both 14"

Last edited by RWPinNC; 04-02-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:00 PM
HokieJoe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bminingham
OK so a friend of mine, also with X73, just measured the same; 26.5" from the ground to the wheel arch on the fronts and 13.5" from the center of lugs to the wheel arch. Guess that says it all - I am basically .5" higher up...

Can anyone else with X73 post their measurements?
I have a 2014 CS MT, and I just ordered the x73 kit from suncoast, and its being installed end of April. My part numbers are different than yours (9813398011 & 98134398015). I measured from wheel arch to center cap on the front and it was 15" without x73 installed.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:56 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Here are some notes i took with a bunch of pics and part numbers from my x73 install:
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...all-notes.html

My kit PN (Cayman S PDK) was 981-044-400-05
Old 04-03-2020, 09:37 AM
bminingham
Racer

Well I confirmed the part # installed on the car is in fact the exact same part # that Suncoast Parts has for their X73 suspension kit. I guess it's a matter of figuring if that exact set-up is indeed on the car. I also have a tech at my local dealer looking into how there could be a ride height disparity. As soon as I get it on a lift I'll update.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:22 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

From the Porsche WSM for 981 cars, for X73 equipped cars:

Quick check: Distance from wing (lower edge) to centre of wheel: 364 +/-10 mm
The following values relate to the empty weight, i.e. full fuel tank/fluid reservoirs, vehicle with tools, but without driver or additional weights!

EDIT: The 364 mm dimension is for the front axle. The rear axle quick check dimension is 374 +/- 10 mm.

OP, your car is almost spot-on the middle of range, 14.33 inches (364mm / 25.4 mm/in). Notice the +/- 0.400" tolerance (+/- 10 mm).

For this height check, the WSM makes no distinction between PDK and manual cars.

After I did my X73 retrofit, it took about 2,000 miles and one track day to get the suspension "settled". By this I mean the suspension had settled in so much the wheel alignment done during the X73 install had change so much, the car was requiring very noticeable steering input to maintain straight ahead course on the highway. I had another wheel alignment done, and all related fasteners re-checked for proper torque by the same dealer who did the install. After that, I never had any noticeable alignment changes due to track use or thousands of miles of driving. The Porsche dealer and tech who did my installation are very experienced in suspension modifications.

Last edited by okie981; 04-04-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:03 PM
bminingham
Racer

Originally Posted by okie981
From the Porsche WSM for 981 cars, for X73 equipped cars:

Quick check: Distance from wing (lower edge) to centre of wheel: 364 +/-10 mm
The following values relate to the empty weight, i.e. full fuel tank/fluid reservoirs, vehicle with tools, but without driver or additional weights!

OP, your car is almost spot-on the middle of range, 14.33 inches (364mm / 25.4 mm/in). Notice the +/- 0.400" tolerance (+/- 10 mm).

For this height check, the WSM makes no distinction between PDK and manual cars.

After I did my X73 retrofit, it took about 2,000 miles and one track day to get the suspension "settled". By this I mean the suspension had settled in so much the wheel alignment done during the X73 install had change so much, the car was requiring very noticeable steering input to maintain straight ahead course on the highway. I had another wheel alignment done, and all related fasteners re-checked for proper torque by the same dealer who did the install. After that, I never had any noticeable alignment changes due to track use or thousands of miles of driving. The Porsche dealer and tech who did my installation are very experienced in suspension modifications.
This is really helpful, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-04-2020, 12:03 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by bminingham
This is really helpful, thanks for sharing!
I just realized I didn't specify if the dimension was front axle or rear axle. The front is 364 +/- 10mm, the rear is 374 +/- 10 mm.

I edited my previous post with the correction.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:18 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts

Suncoast had a 981 Cayman PDK x73 kit in stock so I jumped on it since these kits seem to be very unobtainable lately. I do have a manual trans though. I spoke to a guy on the phone at Suncoast and he said they've never tried to fit a pdk kit on a 6mt. Presumably they don't want to be responsible for selling "technically" incorrect part #s. I've run into the same issue when inquiring about the smaller gt4/sport steering wheel fitment into the CS too. Anyway....
He mentioned different part # for the rear spring (As we know from the chart above, different spring rate by 2-3 n/mm) and that it was due to the heavier pdk trans. He said he believes the rear bar might be a different shape, too. But again, no commitment to fit between transmissions.

I'm going to roll with it for now, BUT did anyone here actually verify fitment between the pdk/6mt versions personally yet? If not, I guess I'll be the guinea pig and best case is that fitment is seamless. Worst case, I'll have a kit to sell to a pdk owner lol.

Last edited by IndigoInkTaco; 06-13-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:48 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
Suncoast had a 981 Cayman PDK x73 kit in stock so I jumped on it since these kits seem to be very unobtainable lately. I do have a manual trans though. I spoke to a guy on the phone at Suncoast and he said they've never tried to fit a pdk kit on a 6mt. Presumably they don't want to be responsible for selling "technically" incorrect part #s. I've run into the same issue when inquiring about the smaller gt4/sport steering wheel fitment into the CS too. Anyway....
He mentioned different part # for the rear spring (As we know from the chart above, different spring rate by 2-3 n/mm) and that it was due to the heavier pdk trans. He said he believes the rear bar might be a different shape, too. But again, no commitment to fit between transmissions.

I'm going to roll with it for now, BUT did anyone here actually verify fitment between the pdk/6mt versions personally yet? If not, I guess I'll be the guinea pig and best case is that fitment is seamless. Worst case, I'll have a kit to sell to a pdk owner lol.
There is a 60 lb. weight difference between the manual and PDK trans, with all that weight being very rearward in the car. Surely they will fit, but I suspect it may be slightly stiffer in the rear and possibly several millimeters higher. All these parts are interchangeable from a 'fit' standpoint. They will bolt up.

This thread now belongs in the 981 forum...

Last edited by Zach L; 06-17-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: X73 suspension: PDK vs Manual?