Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type coupe experiences

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:19 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Think of it as an upper class mustang or Challenger. With those expectations you'll love it. As a Porsche competitor it stands no chance, because it has such a different objective.
It was really hard for me not to get an F Type coupe when I was considering a Cayman. I've been in love with the Jag since the first time I saw one in person. And still ogle every time I see one. But in the end I cared more about driving than styling, so I got the Boxster GTS.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:24 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
It was really hard for me not to get an F Type coupe when I was considering a Cayman. I've been in love with the Jag since the first time I saw one in person. And still ogle every time I see one. But in the end I cared more about driving than styling, so I got the Boxster GTS.
I had an XKR and XKRS. LOVED both of them in spite of the imperfections. If driving (as in turning and braking) are more important then Porsche wins hands down. I feel like the media wanted to make the direct comparison to Porsche since Porsche is THE standard - just like any sport sedan will be compared to the M3.... but, Jag certainly didn't intent on creating a Porsche rival. More like an Aston rival - which objectively was better in every quantifiable way. Things like motorized A/C vents... they KNOW gadgets like that add weight and are about form> function. If one speaks to you, then by all means it is a fantastic car. Porsche it is not - but then again a Porsche is not a Jag either.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:35 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

I had an XKR and XKRS. LOVED both of them in spite of the imperfections. If driving (as in turning and braking) are more important then Porsche wins hands down. I feel like the media wanted to make the direct comparison to Porsche since Porsche is THE standard - just like any sport sedan will be compared to the M3.... but, Jag certainly didn't intent on creating a Porsche rival. More like an Aston rival - which objectively was better in every quantifiable way. Things like motorized A/C vents... they KNOW gadgets like that add weight and are about form> function. If one speaks to you, then by all means it is a fantastic car. Porsche it is not - but then again a Porsche is not a Jag either.
My biggest fear was wiping out in the Jag. Like, catastrophically.

I'm a Miata guy. I love balance, handling, and tackling curvy backroads with gusto. The Corvette and the F Type were just too much for me. Felt like one wrong twitch of the steering wheel or just a bit too much throttle was going to put me upside down in a ditch.

The Boxster struck a better balance. Fast and competent, but didn't feel like it was trying to kill me.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

My biggest fear was wiping out in the Jag. Like, catastrophically.

I'm a Miata guy. I love balance, handling, and tackling curvy backroads with gusto. The Corvette and the F Type were just too much for me. Felt like one wrong twitch of the steering wheel or just a bit too much throttle was going to put me upside down in a ditch.

The Boxster struck a better balance. Fast and competent, but didn't feel like it was trying to kill me.
My racecar is a calico colored NA miata. I know telepathically when I am at 7, 8 and 9 /10ths so I know well in advance when the car is going to need correction. Another interesting thing about these newer cars is the lack of body roll; even in my 911. My opinion is that is takes away from the car. If I had to do it again - I think I would get my exact car without PDCC. That body movement is feedback as well as a sensation that IMO adds to the fun factor. The 911 is very predictable - the Jag is numb and absolutely not. My 911 is a mountain car and not a track car. The Miata would be a ton of fun in the mountains, but unbearable hell getting there. The Jag would be my choice going to the mountains but hell once I got there. The 911 is okay going to the mountains and nirvana once there. There is a place for each of these. At times, I contemplate getting rid of the 5 Series for a 12 XK Touring. All great cars with different purposes.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:03 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

My racecar is a calico colored NA miata. I know telepathically when I am at 7, 8 and 9 /10ths so I know well in advance when the car is going to need correction.
This. So much this.

I autocross my NB2. ES class, so stock aside from a front sway bar, lighter wheels, and a performance alignment. Telepathic is the perfect way to describe it (if jinba ittai is too cliche).

I love my Boxster but I don't trust it like I trust my Miata. Maybe that will come in time (along with a switch from Contis to Michelins).
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM
R_Rated
Banned

This. So much this.

I autocross my NB2. ES class, so stock aside from a front sway bar, lighter wheels, and a performance alignment. Telepathic is the perfect way to describe it (if jinba ittai is too cliche).

I love my Boxster but I don't trust it like I trust my Miata. Maybe that will come in time (along with a switch from Contis to Michelins).
Get the Michelins.

Also - I'm not so worried if I hit something in the Miata. The most I have had to spend on a body panel is $150. The mismatched color is a tribute to outlaw I'd cry if I hit something in my Porsche.... And since I'm sponsored by my level of discretionary income it works out.

People talk a lot about lap times and tracking... there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in maintenance and consumables as well as fun factor. If you are okay with the notion of totaling your Porsche and not caring about the financial ramifications then go for it. If you want to become a better driver and have fun... Start with a Miata, <10K Boxster or E30. Start with Autocross on stock suspension and learn how to shift the car's weight, when to brake and how to make a good line. Starting on a high speed road course in a new 911 is ignorant and will take much longer to actually learn how to drive. We all wish we were Steve Macqueen and F1 sure is more glamorous than carting or a dirt oval but nobody really gets good by starting with something that seems prestigious online or in a car review.

BTW - The jag will really suck if you're starting out.... but I don't want to digress too much from the topic. The Jag is a great car, just very different.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:13 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Get the Michelins.
I'm kinda kicking myself for spending $1,500 on a third set of wheels and tires for the Miata (O.Z. Ultraleggeras and Michelin BFG Rival 1.5 S) when I could have spent that for Michelins on the BGTS. Problem for me is the Contis are only a few months old. Dealer put them on as part of the CPO inspection. Wanted the extra set for the Miata so I wouldn't have to daily my autocross wheels and tires (Konig Heliums and BFG Rival 1.5 S). Stock wheels have all-season tires for when it gets too cold.

I'm not going to autocross the Porsche. I brought it to test and tune day and did some runs in the morning just for fun but switched to the Miata in the afternoon. On our tiny courses the Miata is just more fun. Plus all the other stuff you said!

Quick Reply: F type coupe experiences