Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type coupe experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:59 AM
baege
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 116 Posts
Default F type coupe experiences

Seriously considering the f-type coupe as a replacement for my manual 2016 981CS.
I have driven various examples of the f type including awd S, manualS, rwd r, awd r

The one I liked best was the awd r, made me laugh and giggle, loads of fun and great low end torque which I miss having

things holding me back:

will the larger size and poor visibility wear on me?
will it be reliable?
will I miss the manual?

any experiences from rennlisters would be most welcome!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:27 AM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2015 Type R

Fantastic car, it is a blast to drive, power and noise intoxicating
Bought it when I still had my 2010 GT3
Used as road trip car
No problems at all with your concerns
Sold GT3 bought GT4
Thinking of selling R and just using 4 for road trips
I track and instruct but with TWS closing not many track days
Let me know if you have anymore questions
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2017, 03:50 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackRain
Fantastic car, it is a blast to drive, power and noise intoxicating
Bought it when I still had my 2010 GT3
Used as road trip car
No problems at all with your concerns
Sold GT3 bought GT4
Thinking of selling R and just using 4 for road trips
I track and instruct but with TWS closing not many track days
Let me know if you have anymore questions

thanks

why do you prefer the GT4 over the R?
Old 10-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I've only ridden in my friends F Type S a handful of times, but I thought it was bloody awful compared to my 911. Big, poor visibility, sounded tinny and the car didn't seem to be anywhere near as responsive as I expected it to be. Seemed laggy and floaty, like a faux sports car. Even the RS5 I had at the time seemed way sportier. That was an S though, not an R.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:36 PM
johntomferg
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a Jag F-Type S Vert (2014, so it is the v8 Supercharged) and a 2016 Porsche CGTS.

The Jag is the wife's and the Porsche mine.
They feed different driving styles.

The Jag is the hammer when you need to go quickly in a straight line, but it will corner and give you strong on throttle over-steer when you want to hang the rear end out. For me, the seating position (my CGTS has the x73) is better in the Porsche as I sit lower. i'm 6'2". But the Jag is not "uncomfortable.

Gas mileage is surprisingly good in both even when having 'fun.' The mid engine of course feels completely different in a corner at 8+/10th than the Jag. The Jag also feels heavier, but that could be due to the actual weight difference in combination with significantly wider tire patch. I have not driven one of the new 4 wheel Jags and wonder how much enjoyment is lost by not being 100% rear wheel?

I've had good experience on the quality of both so far with only minor issues typical of a car.

Prior to the CGTS, I had a 13 M5 for around 72K miles. That was a 4 seater hammer and comparable to the driving style required to appreciate the supercharged v8 in the Jag.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:31 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 596 Posts

Never owned one but test drove the R both red and awd multiple times. Certainly the rwd was out of question: most unstable car I have driven , a lot of over steer without trying. I thought car was dangerous , and this is why they moved to awd after 2016 if i am not mistaken.
awd is ok but it is not a Porsche
a friend of mine , sold his CS and bought the f type R and actually was talking to him yesterday and he is missing the CS big time
Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by pitt911
Never owned one but test drove the R both red and awd multiple times. Certainly the rwd was out of question: most unstable car I have driven , a lot of over steer without trying. I thought car was dangerous , and this is why they moved to awd after 2016 if i am not mistaken.
awd is ok but it is not a Porsche
a friend of mine , sold his CS and bought the f type R and actually was talking to him yesterday and he is missing the CS big time
yikes...that is what happened to me with the C7...missed the Cs right away
i missed the compactness, precision, throttle response, visibility, refinement

what does he miss about the CS?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

compactness, precision, throttle response, visibility, refinement
Old 10-10-2017, 08:25 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

basically, the jag is a good car but not a Porsche
I think it is more suited for highway cruising rather than twisty back roads
Old 10-10-2017, 11:30 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
Seriously considering the f-type coupe as a replacement for my manual 2016 981CS.
I have driven various examples of the f type including awd S, manualS, rwd r, awd r

The one I liked best was the awd r, made me laugh and giggle, loads of fun and great low end torque which I miss having

things holding me back:

will the larger size and poor visibility wear on me?
will it be reliable?
will I miss the manual?

any experiences from rennlisters would be most welcome!
I have a RWD V6S Brit Design Edition. It was not on my wish list, but my brother works for JLR and therefore it was so heavily discounted for me that I basically stole the car. I’ve had a Cayman, M3, and most recently an S2000. The F-Type does feel heavy. That is IMO it’s biggest flaw. I think the visibility is quite good actually. But it does feel wide and the nose is long. The BDE only comes with the ZF tranny. Surprisingly, I don’t miss the manual, but that might be because I have a Ducati for the weekends, which is my “fun” vehicle. Also, if you do decide to get the 6spd car, do some research on the many many recalls and service bulletins on the manual cars. It might discourage you from getting one. There’s something like a 21 page thread on Jaguarforums.com about their unreliability.

One thing is for sure, the F-Type is drop dead gorgeous. If you need a car to track once or twice a month, the Cayman will be better, simply due to its weight advantage if nothing else, but for the occasional HPDE, mountain roads, and/or daily, you might like the Jag.

Also, I’m on my phone. I apologize if the photos are too big.
Attached Images    
Old 10-10-2017, 11:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

To me, the F Type looks and feels like what a Chinese made Aston Martin knock off would if the Chinese made one.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
To me, the F Type looks and feels like what a Chinese made Aston Martin knock off would if the Chinese made one.
I think that's a bit harsh, the F Type looks to have very nice materials of construction and it definitely has good looks.

They sound really good too.

But.....Porsche, there is no substitute!
Old 10-11-2017, 04:52 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

To me, the Cayman (at least in GTS trim) is a true sports car. And I bought it accordingly, meaning all performance options, including X73. The F-Type more of a GT car, like the C63 AMG coupe IMO. My problem is my wife thinks my CGTS is too harsh for trips, and don't want to go with me anymore. To me it's perfect. But just started a quest for the perfect compromise for my wife and myself, meaning more GT than all-out sport. Another complaint of hers was no room to recline the seat to sleep, something will still be true on an F-Type. Rented one for a SoCal trip that ended yesterday (it probably was the 4-banger), but Sixt canceled on me at the last minute (mechanically related), so had to rent a C63AMG at Hertz. I was expecting a lot better car, but it wasn't the coupe, which is the one I'd buy if anything. Next time will rent the Jag, and a 911, although I don't like them compared to my Cayman. But if I'm going to compromise anyway, it might be better than the competitors I'm considering. The good thing about the 911 is you can have SPASM, wihch is more or less X73 and PASM combined; probably the best of both worlds. And should be quieter too, and with reclining space. Might rent one of those too; I think Hertz has one. We'll see. But it won't happen anytime soon. Will take my time.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a V8S convertible and it's by far the most fun car I own...and I own some cool stuff.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:23 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Thats harsh Archimedes!

So, I'm a Porsche guy who owns an F-Type R AWD. I had to dispense with my presuppositions once I really learned the F-Type

Here are some facts you can take home...

Pros:
1. The F-type R V8 AWD is a hoot to drive. Everyone that has one smiles - a lot.
2. The sound it produces is out of this world. A complete hooligan. Not at all matched to conservative British look of the car, but a heck of a lot of fun.
3. Fit and finish is excellent, but not perfect.
4. The AWD engineering is incredible. It basically is in standby and runs like a RWD car until need, and kicks in like a giant nanny but works like a charm every time. My Porsche GT4 would slide around in the rain on Cup2 tires. The F-Type AWD is planted solid, back end in check.
5. Leased very cheap - 50% of a 911S.
6. 10X more compliments in the Jag - people really are attracted to its look.
7. The Supercharged engine provides instant linear power at every RPM level.

Cons:
1. Even with the 550 hp, it is not as fast on a circuit as the GT4. 2:07 for F-Type vs 2:01 for GT4. (The F-type is wicked fast 0-60 in the mid 3s).
2. I prefer a lighter car, the Cayman feels more sporty.
3. The Jag looks big (even though it is actually smaller than a 911).
4. On a track, the Cayman rules.
5. Service is dependent on your local dealer (just like Porsche) but my Jag dealer is 200 miles away.
6. Depreciation - my car list for $106. Lease buy out residual is $58k but it may not be worth even that amount after 24 mos. Cayman S, GTS, and GT4 hold up much better.
7. Way complex of a car - the computers control most everything.

I miss my GT4 and would choose it over the Jag.

The 981 GTS was the most complete car I ever owned.

My wife likes the Jag much better.

Quick Reply: F type coupe experiences