Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type coupe experiences

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:05 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I rented one in Germany for 4 days and drove from Frankfurt to Nuremberg and back on the autobahn and I was nicely surprised and impressed. While not my GT4 when I took it on a few back roads, it was comfortable and felt very solid at speed (several sprints and extended driving between 100-140 mph) The one I rented had the supercharged V6 and the sound was intoxicating, the fit and finish was nice and I didn't notice any rattles but their roads are WAY better than the crap we have in Socal.

Overall I think it made a great road or GT car, but I will say that I didn't think it had the best visibility in mirrors and rear.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:38 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 312 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-161753/
Old 04-10-2018, 03:22 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
test drove a 2015 RS5 and then a 2016 AWD r f type coupe yesterday

the rs5 has a great smooth wonderful engine, with good throttle response and great sound
I walked away "not bad"

then I drove the awd f type r, second time driving one, and the car blew me away again, the sound, the instant throttle response, the immense effortless power, the car had me grinning and laughing out loud, haven't had that reaction since my first drive of a 981 S

the zf 8 speed is very responsive, much more so than the audi dual clutch, it gave a real sense of connection

my worries about missing manual were muted driving it again

I walked away "I want this car"

...now it's all about working it out with the rest of the moving parts in my life

wish me luck! It does feel good to have a car I really want!
Had an almost identical experience today after test driving an AWD S. I was laughing almost the whole time, my teenage daughter said she had rarely seen me like this. What did you do in the end?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:59 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow lot of F Type lovers which is great. I noticed a pattern that the V8 seems to be the way to go! Those Jags depreciate like crazy!
Old 04-10-2018, 05:32 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,347 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Wow lot of F Type lovers which is great. I noticed a pattern that the V8 seems to be the way to go! Those Jags depreciate like crazy!
In December 2017, when I bought my Spyder, I was a phone call away from buying a new 2017 F-Type R that stickered for $115,000 for $85K plus TTL. It just seemed like more car for the money compared to the 981 Spyder. And it was an absolute monster. But the dealer would not help me put the wheels from the carbon brake package on the car. Not a penny of discount from the parts department. Someone here said something like "yeah, and it'll drop another $30K in the first year you own it" and the rest is history. Best decision to walk away I've ever made.

That said, the R was a very nice, capable roadster that made lovely noises and was easy on the eyes. You could do worse.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:35 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

deleted
Old 04-10-2018, 07:55 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
In December 2017, when I bought my Spyder, I was a phone call away from buying a new 2017 F-Type R that stickered for $115,000 for $85K plus TTL. It just seemed like more car for the money compared to the 981 Spyder. And it was an absolute monster. But the dealer would not help me put the wheels from the carbon brake package on the car. Not a penny of discount from the parts department. Someone here said something like "yeah, and it'll drop another $30K in the first year you own it" and the rest is history. Best decision to walk away I've ever made.

That said, the R was a very nice, capable roadster that made lovely noises and was easy on the eyes. You could do worse.
Oh wow thanks for sharing your experience! I myself test drove the V6 roadster automatic and at that time I had my E92 M3. I was quite disappointed overall though I didn't get a chance to really drive it in anger. I always thought the V8 would be a better car for me to try. Then I ended up with the Spyder and have not looked back.

So that price you mentioned was for a new V8s? Or was it lightly used? Cause that's one HELL of a discount on a brand new car!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:01 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Oh wow thanks for sharing your experience! I myself test drove the V6 roadster automatic and at that time I had my E92 M3. I was quite disappointed overall though I didn't get a chance to really drive it in anger. I always thought the V8 would be a better car for me to try. Then I ended up with the Spyder and have not looked back.

So that price you mentioned was for a new V8s? Or was it lightly used? Cause that's one HELL of a discount on a brand new car!
Brand new 2017 F-Type R convertible with every option except carbon ceramic brakes. The wheels were about $1200 each and I just wasn't willing to go that far. No regrets. The dealer actually did me a favor. But I did love the car. Nothing to dislike about it.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:01 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Brand new 2017 F-Type R with every option except carbon ceramic brakes. The wheels were about $1200 each and I just wasn't willing to go that far. No regrets. The dealer actually did me a favor. But I did love the car. Nothing to dislike about it.
Wowza!!! My friend who has been eyeing one will be happy to hear he can get that kind of a price for a new F type!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:04 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Wowza!!! My friend who has been eyeing one will be happy to hear he can get that kind of a price for a new F type!
There are still a few out there. This one was in Plano, TX. Last I looked it was still on the lot.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:04 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A former coworker of mine had a 987 Spyder and traded it in on an F Type S. He has said he misses certain aspects of the Porsche, but he has had the Jag for over 2 years at this point whereas he only had the Porsche for less than one. He has another vehicle for a more typical daily, but he drives the Jag more than he ever drove the Porsche.

The Jag is a beautiful car, but I haven't driven it. I have driven several other sports cars and always come back to the Porsche brand, personally.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:37 AM
baege
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by kris
Had an almost identical experience today after test driving an AWD S. I was laughing almost the whole time, my teenage daughter said she had rarely seen me like this. What did you do in the end?
well in the end, the compromise that comes with domestic partnership meant a much more practical car won out. A 2018 m240i xdrive. Just picked it up yesterday coincdentally. It's a fun little car, but it doesn't knock my socks off like the jag did...one day...
Old 04-11-2018, 10:41 AM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Lexus RC-F and really liked it. Sold after a couple of years and bought the Jag F-type (coupe). Loved it, but after a year traded the Jag for a 2018 Boxster S. Glad I did.

Shortly before buying the Boxster, I bought an ND Miata. Deadly slow, so I supercharged it. A really fun car to drive and modify. I probably wouldn't have bot the Boxster except that the Miata tuners haven't gotten the tunes quite right. I think, for me, in certain circumstances the Miata can be more fun to drive than the Boxster, and when the tunes get right, I'll drive it along with the Boxster.

There's an old saying among motorcyclists that it's more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than to ride a fast motorcycle slow. After 50+ years of riding, I have found that to be true. Same can apply to cars.

In any case, the Jag is a great car for what it is, just not "flickable" like the others.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:51 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by abstruse1
I think, for me, in certain circumstances the Miata can be more fun to drive than the Boxster...
That's unquestionably true in my experience.

I have a 2001 Miata and a 2015 Boxster GTS.

Strictly in terms of driving pleasure, if you offer me my favorite curvy road on a 65-80 degree day I'm taking the Miata. It's so light and direct, and mine is so dialed-in I might as well be one with it. But where I live it isn't always 65-80 degrees, and some of the best roads only have short spots to pass. That is where the Boxster comes in.

The Boxster is superior to the Miata in every way but weight. Cold outside? No problem. Drive with the top up (with heated seats, if you like). Over 80 degrees? No problem! Turn on the AC and activate the ventilated seats. Going on a driving-oriented road trip with the wife? Great! Can fit all the luggage we'd possibly need and then some. Stuck behind someone that slows darn near to a stop in the curves then drives like they are trying to break a land speed record when the road opens up to pass? Oh that is no problem at all, and they are probably going to get an earful of Sport Plus Sport Exhaust for their trouble.

And then there is the sound. Oh that glorious noise...

But for my money the Miata is king of the curvy public road.

I truly feel sorry for any driving enthusiast that has never experienced a Miata on their favorite public road. ANY Miata.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

The V8 if you want oversteer ALL.THE.TIME. It is a beast of a power plant. If you want to actually drive it then get the big V6 option. The V8 will feel dangerous in the mountains or on a twisty road. Of course, if you're not that type of driver then YMMV. Think of it as an upper class mustang or Challenger. With those expectations you'll love it. As a Porsche competitor it stands no chance, because it has such a different objective.

Quick Reply: F type coupe experiences