Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder vs 981 GT4 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:04 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 981 Spyder vs 981 GT4 comparison

Last year, by the time I got to considering the GT4, there were no allocations to be had. I ended up "settling" for a Spyder, ordered through a dealer 4 hours away who had sold me a 987 Spyder a few years ago.

Fast forward to October, I get a call from one of the more local dealers about a GT4 deal that had fallen through. It was spec'd very close to what I would have ordered except for the missing LWB . With a "reasonable" markup, I decided to go for it - with the assumption that it would not depreciate as quickly as other cars. I still had the Spyder order and was going to wait till the very last minute before cancelling the order. I ended up deciding to keep the Spyder order and decide later which one to keep...

Fast forward again to today. The Spyder arrives! Drove it about 10 miles to get it's clear paint protection installed.

Initial impressions....
Exterior
The Spyder is very attractive. If I baseline it at a 10.0, the GT4 would be a 9.99. Even with the top up, it looks special - maybe not as special as the 987 top - but the tradeoff in usability is worth it. With the top down, it's a "poor man's" Spyder. The Spyder is not as hunkered down looking compared to the GT4 - probably due to the 10mm higher ride height, the slightly more set in wheels/tires and the smaller front spoiler. The wheel designs are different but each look good in their own way and well suited for each car.

But, that's just IMHO and each of you can come to your own conclusions from pictures or looking at other's cars...

Interior
The GT4 has 2-ways and the Spyder LWBs. The LWBs look AMAZING! They are a little more snug (5'7", 160lbs and about 20 lbs heavier than I should be for cycling purposes). If I lost the 20 lbs, the LWBs will probably be as less snug as the 2-ways. The 2 ways are a little more comfortable initially but once you settle in, they both feel good. The LWB's electric height adjustment raise the rear of the seat but differently than the manual height adjustment on the 2-ways. the LWBs pivot on the front of the seat whereas the 2-ways just raise the rear proportionately more than the front. the LWBs don't have as fine a fore-aft adjustment as the 2-ways. But the LWBs look AMAZING

The GT4 had dark aluminum trim while I left the Spyder with the stock painted trim. At quick glance, one would think the trim was identical. I think the painted trim pops more for any non-silver color. I spec'd the Spyder's center console trim in leather because I if it were painted, it would look a bit out of place given the leather sides.

The Spyder has Sport Chrono standard. Left for me to decide, I would not have preferred to not have the timer/clock or the g-meter in the dash. However, the Sport Chrono is needed for two - auto-blip which I gotten accustomed to in the GT4 and the dynamic engine mounts (to minimize/eliminate axle hop).

One interesting difference. the platinum stitching on the GT4 is a light platinum - slightly darker than the optional silver stitching. The Spyder's platinum stitching is actually closer to black.

The small but noticeable differences make it harder for me to decide which to keep.

Driving
Right off the bat, in sport plus mode on slightly damp roads, the Spyder's rear end is noticeably more lively than the GT4. In sport mode, the PSM seems to keep the rear end pretty well planted. After getting back into the GT4, I realized that the GT4 has either ESC/PSM on or off whereas the Spyder has an in between setting...

The shift feel on the Spyder is lighter though just as precise as the GT4s. I expected it to be the same but I actually like the shift feel tune for each of the cars - fits their respective intent well.

The steering feel on the Spyder is a little lighter and a little less sharp in feel than the GT4's - but that was to be expected. I didn't realize I'd be able to notice. The X73 suspension in the Spyder is slightly softer in feel compared to the GT4 in regular PASM mode over the small speed bumps but the GT4 does smoothen the rough road surfaces more than in the Spyder. Net is, the GT4's more sophisticated suspension is noticeably "better" even on the street - or at least I prefer it.

The Spyder has no drone from the exhaust/engine whereas the drone from the GT4 is noticeable in the 2000-3500 rpm range - likely due to the rear hatch area acting as a sound chamber in the GT4 whereas the Spyder gets some the rear trunk lid for some sound isolation. With the roof up, the Spyder's exhaust is less noticeable - maybe the exhaust is not broken in yet. With the roof down, the Spyder sounds much better than the GT4 with windows down.

The Spyder's throttle response in normal or sport mode is not as sharp/direct as that of the GT4. Have to try it in Sport Plus later.

The Spyder's brake pedal is noticeably softer than the GT4's. I'd say by at least 20%.

still undecided on whether to sell the GT4

will have more once I get the car back from the detailer...

Last edited by s2ktaxi; 02-13-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:24 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

Nice written out comparison of the two! Will be interesting to see if you keep the GT4.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:25 AM
Dark Kauphee
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for the write-up! Can we look forward to some side by side pics before you sell one?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking forward to the X87 suspension. I had a 2006 Cayman S with the first generation of PASM and definitely felt the difference in the two settings. In my 991 GT3 most of the time I could not feel any difference between the settings. Possibly I needed to be at track conditions to feel it.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:33 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
The X87 suspension in the Spyder is slightly softer in feel compared to the GT4 in regular PASM mode over the small speed bumps but the GT4 does smoothen the rough road surfaces more than in the Spyder. Net is, the GT4's more sophisticated suspension is noticeably "better" even on the street - or at least I prefer it.
This is very interesting. What is the difference between the X87 and the X73 sports suspension offered on the "vanilla" 981's?
Old 02-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm curious about this too. I've only driven my Spyder briefly before tucking it into the garage for the winter, but the suspension seemed much stiffer than my base Cayman.

JimC
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

the Spyder's X73 (not X87) is supposed to be 10-15% stiffer than regular X73
Old 02-03-2016, 10:56 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by graemeiam
Thank you for the write-up! Can we look forward to some side by side pics before you sell one?
yes maybe if I get bored, I'll even swap the front bumper and the seats
Old 02-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great write up thanks. Can you tell us more about the driving and performance differences?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:22 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Great write up thanks. Can you tell us more about the driving and performance differences?
Just added a bit to the review as it pertains to throttle - the Spyder's accelerator is less sensitive at tip in than the GT4's. need to get more miles on the Spyder before I can compare the full power curve. I am now wondering if the power curve is actually different across the power band instead of just missing the second peak in the Spyder...
Old 02-05-2016, 04:03 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just added a bit to the review as it pertains to throttle - the Spyder's accelerator is less sensitive at tip in than the GT4's. need to get more miles on the Spyder before I can compare the full power curve. I am now wondering if the power curve is actually different across the power band instead of just missing the second peak in the Spyder...
Misses the second peak? It's an identical engine, no?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 AM
sandy59
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting write up especially as I also have a Spyder and GT4 so can relate to most of what you say.

The only area where I have a different experience is the throttle response issue, where my Spyder seems to have a sharper response and also a sharper exhaust bark, especially at lower revs.
The GT4 seems to be a bit more refined and just not as fast as the Spyder, BUT both my cars have very low miles so far, so I'm expecting the GT4 especially to 'loosen' up a good bit over the next few hundred miles.

The impression I have is that the Spyder already feels nicely loosened up and run in - 200 miles, but that the GT4 is still very tight at 90 miles. I would also add the Spyder was like this from new so not quite sure why there appears to be so much difference.
The Spyder also seems to easily match the GT4 in driving enjoyment for me, although again I haven't really pushed either car very hard yet.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:32 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Subscribed
Old 02-05-2016, 11:04 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sandy59
Interesting write up especially as I also have a Spyder and GT4 so can relate to most of what you say.

The only area where I have a different experience is the throttle response issue, where my Spyder seems to have a sharper response and also a sharper exhaust bark, especially at lower revs.
The GT4 seems to be a bit more refined and just not as fast as the Spyder, BUT both my cars have very low miles so far, so I'm expecting the GT4 especially to 'loosen' up a good bit over the next few hundred miles.

The impression I have is that the Spyder already feels nicely loosened up and run in - 200 miles, but that the GT4 is still very tight at 90 miles. I would also add the Spyder was like this from new so not quite sure why there appears to be so much difference.
The Spyder also seems to easily match the GT4 in driving enjoyment for me, although again I haven't really pushed either car very hard yet.
The Spyder feels more loose to me because the steering is a little lighter and less direct/precise. The shifter also feels easier to shift into the gears. The suspension is a little softer. The brakes feel noticeably softer than the GT4. All these add up to make the Spyder feel lighter - aside from the fact that it actually is lighter.

Drove the Spyder for the 2nd time today - much much easier to break the rear end loose - and the PSM has more settings.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:06 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

The Spyder feels more loose to me because the steering is a little lighter and less direct/precise. The shifter also feels easier to shift into the gears. The suspension is a little softer. The brakes feel noticeably softer than the GT4. All these add up to make the Spyder feel lighter - aside from the fact that it actually is lighter.

Drove the Spyder for the 2nd time today - much much easier to break the rear end loose - and the PSM has more settings.
I have a Spyder on order. I fnd my 981S with PASM to have outstanding handling characteristics. I never had an issue with snap oversteer or loosing the rear end. Does the Spyder suffer from oversteer like the 911? One of the reasons I went from rear engine Porsches to mid engine Porsches is due to handling. While I like being able to throttle steer a touch and dislike cas that are too prone to under steer "much much easier to break the rear end loose" sounds like the Spyder might need a revised suspension

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder vs 981 GT4 comparison