Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder vs 981 GT4 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
Drove the Spyder for a couple of hours today around town. Just realized a major difference!

The front spoiler doesn't scrape in all of the areas the GT4's normally would.
.. you must not live in NorCal.. i scrape in many places but agree with you.. I don't think I could drive a gt4 around with that front spoiler.

I still have the gt4 replacement spoiler still in the box to sell to anyone who wants it at the group buy price $225. I also confirmed that it does not fit on the spyder.. no way.. no how. there is an entire part on the gt4 bumper on which that spoiler/splitter fits which is missing from spyder.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:40 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Good comparison, s2ktaxi. Very few will have an opportunity to own both; so, it's cool to know how these two stack up from the viewpoints of the same driver.

An open top car always adds to the drama vis-a-vis closed top. With narrower tires and chassis/suspension setup, the break-away and playfulness are carefully designed-in. It is pretty impressive how Porsche has mastered the art of differentiation across the models. I also feel that the GT cars may have gotten too good for their own sake, for street-driving. They have such a high limit, only the track conditions allow them to be exploited. Someone (forgot his name) indicated that he is moving from 991 GT3; read about couple of more such moves.

So, for the street, a GT car may not be all that fun. I guess most of the GT guys already know that!!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:40 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GT4 brake pedal is noticeably firmer as well.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

I just signed up for the Boxster Spyder class at the Atlanta Porsche Experience center. The Spyder was the closest car I could find to replicate my GT4 at the center. The learning the manual class would've only put me in a GT4 for a much shorter duration.

I won't be taking the class until April unfortunately but will come back here with a full report.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 AM
SMLaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
I just signed up for the Boxster Spyder class at the Atlanta Porsche Experience center. The Spyder was the closest car I could find to replicate my GT4 at the center. The learning the manual class would've only put me in a GT4 for a much shorter duration.

I won't be taking the class until April unfortunately but will come back here with a full report.
Very nice...anxiously await your perceptions of how it handles the track.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:58 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Now that I've had more seat time between both the GT4 and the Spyder, I'm beginning to really discern the differences between the two.

The Spyder's Sport Suspension is a little more chatty on the little road imperfection compared to the PASM even On mode. This makes the GT4 feel a lot more solidly planted.

The steering of the GT4 is superior in feel and weighting than the Spyder's. I find the Spyder steering a bit on the light side - possibly too much for a sports car. On this note, the 987.2 Spyder felt better. Interestingly, after jumping in to S2000, there is more similarity in feel between the S2000 and GT4 than the Spyder and S2000 in terms of feel and loading.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:11 AM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone have ballpark #'s of Spyders sold vs. GT4's? I am starting to wonder if the Spyder will actually be the more desirable car long term than the GT4. I know if $100k fell out of the sky I'd buy a Spyder in a heart beat to add to my GT4.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:19 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Great write-up! I don't get the comment about stitching though. With the leather interior option, the GT4 has platinum as standard, with red and yellow as options. The Spyder has black stitching as standard (decorative, not deviating stitching), with silver, red, and yellow as options. There's no optional silver on the GT4 nor platinum on the Spyder, so if your Spyder's stitching seems closer to black, it's because it is!
Old 02-23-2016, 05:11 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Given the differences between the suspension, wheels/tires, purpose, etc., everything you say makes sense.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:54 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by volksjaeger
Does anyone have ballpark #'s of Spyders sold vs. GT4's? I am starting to wonder if the Spyder will actually be the more desirable car long term than the GT4. I know if $100k fell out of the sky I'd buy a Spyder in a heart beat to add to my GT4.
I'm anticipating the Spyder for the 2016 model year to be about 1000 cars based on current rate of product and expected last month to be April.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-database.html
Old 02-23-2016, 10:55 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jphughan
Great write-up! I don't get the comment about stitching though. With the leather interior option, the GT4 has platinum as standard, with red and yellow as options. The Spyder has black stitching as standard (decorative, not deviating stitching), with silver, red, and yellow as options. There's no optional silver on the GT4 nor platinum on the Spyder, so if your Spyder's stitching seems closer to black, it's because it is!
My mistake - I originally thought the Spyder came with platinum stitching standard as well. so much for swapping seats
Old 02-26-2016, 08:14 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Now that the Spyder is a bit more broken in, I'm finding the exhaust MUCH more intoxicating than the GT4. above 5k rpm, the Spyder let's the driver and passenger hear sounds the GT4 driver and passenger can't get. Drove the GT4 today with windows up and it feels sterile compared to the Spyder with top down.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:28 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Now that the Spyder is a bit more broken in, I'm finding the exhaust MUCH more intoxicating than the GT4. above 5k rpm, the Spyder let's the driver and passenger hear sounds the GT4 driver and passenger can't get. Drove the GT4 today with windows up and it feels sterile compared to the Spyder with top down.
This is a remainder that I should never get a coupe! Even with the windows down, the aural pleasures won't be the same.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This is my issue with the gt4 also (per my exhaust thread in that forum). Windows up and the exhaust is not loud enough inside. Spider with the top down would be aural bliss!

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder vs 981 GT4 comparison