Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:38 PM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plan to mount my cell phone clip to the space where the clock goes so SC option is pointless waste of money.

I have no history nor care for historically "cool" options to put in. I'm here for the car and trying to avoid too many expensive options to jack up the price.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

All...... thanks for the input, appreciate it!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:44 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

So, in the Boxster S, stock, you get a sport button with a quicker throttle response but it is still a bit lifeless. Sport chrono adds the sport plus button which significantly livens up the throttle response and yes, adds the throttle blipping. The feeling in that mode is similar to a lightweight flywheel and is quite nice. You can remain in this mode and turn off the throttle blipping by shutting off the PSM.

It would be really nice if we knew if there is a sport AND a sport plus mode on the GT4 or just a sport mode. I'd happily skip SC as long as you still get the sport plus mapping. Throttle blip is not all evil (and I love heel toeing myself). The feel is actually quite transparent and is a bit of a safety net on the track for your tranny in case you botch a heel toe in a hectic braking Zone.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:04 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

^AFAIK, the GT4 has only one engine mapping and the only thing the "sport" button does in the GT4 is turn on the rev matching feature. There is a separate sports exhaust button which probably has some effect on torque curve from the reduced back pressure? From the press kit -

Active gear shifting assist: automatic throttle-blips at push of a button
The driver can use two buttons on the centre console to adjust engine-relevant functions for even sportier dynamics. One of them activates automatic throttle-blips in downshifts. This enables better matching of engine speed during quick downshifts and optimal gear shifting. The other button controls the flaps of the sport exhaust system between cultivated damping and reduced back pressure with passionate sound.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chrono on the GT4 is only the clock and the lap timing software package (which I'm told doesn't work well). There is no link between sport chrono and any mechanical or mapping upgrade as in other past non GT cars. In my view it's a waste of money unless you really want a dash clock.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:58 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
NOOOOOooo!! Learn from my mistake! Don't get the track app! It's garbage!

You can't export video (hence my video recording of the phone), it doesn't interface with PCM and the sport chrono clock (they work independently), it's unreliable (see video above), it only uses either your phones GPS or the car's GPS antenna which only runs at 1Hz (only accurate to one second), and it doesn't auto start/stop.
Damn Joe! you were drifting your GT3? Really impressed how the steering wheel was pointing left and right when you fly down the straight. Must have put on a great show

Old 02-22-2015, 10:13 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

So Sport Chrono on the GT4 doesn't adjust the rev limiter or throttle response like on other cars? It's just the wart and timer?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Damn Joe! you were drifting your GT3? Really impressed how the steering wheel was pointing left and right when you fly down the straight. Must have put on a great show
Lmao! I didn't post the video where the app overlaid data from Sonoma onto video from Thunderhill!!! The app is a disaster.

Originally Posted by sjfehr
So Sport Chrono on the GT4 doesn't adjust the rev limiter or throttle response like on other cars? It's just the wart and timer?
Let me be clear on this one more time because there seems to be rampant confusion on this:

Sport chrono on the GT3 AND GT4 (therefore any GT car) only gives you a clock and the lap timer app.

Nothing else. No change in throttle mapping, Rev limiter, PSM programming, PDK (duh) shift points, extra buttons, or whatever else you might think or Porsche has done in the past with the NON GT cars.

Spread the word to dealers and stop the mass confusion and misinformation.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:59 AM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by edwin814
hmm...I feel that this is an issue that should be brought up to Porsche.
I have talked to the Porsche folks about it, plan on having more detailed talks in the future as well. Dropped 1800 on my GT3 for this thinking it would save me from hard wiring a solution in, and it is just crap.

Even drawing the PCM data direct from the car has NOTHING, all the fields are null entries other than lap time (self triggered) and lap counter.

the phone data is better, but you cannot pair it reliably with any external video, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

save the 2k, buy red seatbelts - they make you go faster...
Old 02-22-2015, 11:15 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
I have talked to the Porsche folks about it, plan on having more detailed talks in the future as well. Dropped 1800 on my GT3 for this thinking it would save me from hard wiring a solution in, and it is just crap.

Even drawing the PCM data direct from the car has NOTHING, all the fields are null entries other than lap time (self triggered) and lap counter.

the phone data is better, but you cannot pair it reliably with any external video, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

save the 2k, buy red seatbelts - they make you go faster...
Thanks for chiming in with another data point.
The problem is using a PHONE as your processor. It's not dedicated hardware. Porsche should have taken advantage of the PCM system instead as the main unit since it is all hardwired. Wireless connections are always unreliable.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:49 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for chiming in with another data point.
The problem is using a PHONE as your processor. It's not dedicated hardware. Porsche should have taken advantage of the PCM system instead as the main unit since it is all hardwired. Wireless connections are always unreliable.
So is the problem the pairing with the phone, the software, or the slow phone GPS? You can get cheap, fast, bluetooth GPS units that are 10hz like this one:

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...T-Q818XT-F.htm

I used to pair this with my phone and use the Trackmaster app and it gave pretty darn good resolution. Can something like this be connected up to the track app. or are you just better off buying an AIM or trackmaster for 2k?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by johnr265
So is the problem the pairing with the phone, the software, or the slow phone GPS? You can get cheap, fast, bluetooth GPS units that are 10hz like this one:

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...T-Q818XT-F.htm

I used to pair this with my phone and use the Trackmaster app and it gave pretty darn good resolution. Can something like this be connected up to the track app. or are you just better off buying an AIM or trackmaster for 2k?
The slow GPS antenna is only a small problem. As you point out, you can remedy that with an external gps linkup.

The biggest problem is the software. It's really buggy. Video doesn't sync properly, Video isn't matched to the correct session, and will sometimes not trigger.
The 2nd problem is the wireless connection. It links up just fine, but a wireless connection is always 'iffy' and you WILL get dropouts and lost sessions.
The 3rd problem is the hardware. A phone is not dedicated and not in Porsche's control. There is only so much someone can do with a phone app. For $20, it's acceptable. For $1850, it is NOT
The 4th problem is the limited use of the app. You CANNOT export the video. The data channels that you can export are very limited too.

If you can't tell, I'm very disappointed with the 'track app'. I won't use it again.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:01 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The slow GPS antenna is only a small problem. As you point out, you can remedy that with an external gps linkup.

The biggest problem is the software. It's really buggy. Video doesn't sync properly, Video isn't matched to the correct session, and will sometimes not trigger.
The 2nd problem is the wireless connection. It links up just fine, but a wireless connection is always 'iffy' and you WILL get dropouts and lost sessions.
The 3rd problem is the hardware. A phone is not dedicated and not in Porsche's control. There is only so much someone can do with a phone app. For $20, it's acceptable. For $1850, it is NOT
The 4th problem is the limited use of the app. You CANNOT export the video. The data channels that you can export are very limited too.

If you can't tell, I'm very disappointed with the 'track app'. I won't use it again.
This is very good feedback, thank you.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! You saved me $1850 + tax.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:45 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cutlass476
Really?...Dealer's profit margin on that $1800 is probably $1200.
No. Porsche dealers' profit margin on selling a customer this US$1850 MSRP option should only be around US$277.50!

Cutlass: Where did you come up with the $1200 profit margin figure?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: GT4 Sport Chrono