Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

18" track wheel for my spyder: which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Very tough to find RA1's in 18" sizes. If you do find them, you have to worry about production date, storage, etc., i.e. dry rot, cracking.
R888's are an option in that case .
Old 07-30-2012, 02:39 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 4forme
Joe - have you thought about the Forgeline GA3R's? Can custom order to your offset and color specs plus they are 3 piece so if you mangle a lip you can always have it rebuilt. I think black centers with a polished lip would look great on your car. Jeff at Pacific Western Performance has always taken excellent care of me and has unbeatable pricing. They will be cheaper then the Volks and are forged.
That is a great looking wheel. The website pricing looks like it would be much more expensive than the volks, though. Are the website prices inflated?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
As I told you Joe, in my email, I did bend a wheel first time out at TH with the forgestars (unless it happened some other way?). So yes they are light, and cheap, and look great.... just not too sure how strong? It drives totally fine, but I'll order a replacement and keep the other as a spare for when I bend the next one! Total failure would be my only real concern.
There is an expression in the cycling world in regard to frames/components that also fits here. That expression is: Strong, Light, Cheap... pick two.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:07 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
There is an expression in the cycling world in regard to frames/components that also fits here. That expression is: Strong, Light, Cheap... pick two.
Great expression! Wonder how OZ wheels stack up..
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Great expression! Wonder how OZ wheels stack up..
I am going to use them on my race car and will report back if there ever is a problem. I searched Rennlist, Pelican, Google, and Yahoo and could not find any real negative stuff on them. Damon at Tire Rack swears by them and said he has had no complaints from customers tracking them.

OZ makes Formula 1 wheels so they must be doing something right.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 PM
its about time...
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Any other vendors besides tirerack that sell the OZ wheels? Frustrating that tire rack doesn't sell Nitto tires.
is there a Discount Tire in your area? I got a quote on 18" Nitto's from them last week.

Jim
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
I am going to use them on my race car and will report back if there ever is a problem. I searched Rennlist, Pelican, Google, and Yahoo and could not find any real negative stuff on them. Damon at Tire Rack swears by them and said he has had no complaints from customers tracking them.

OZ makes Formula 1 wheels so they must be doing something right.
Yeah, that's why I brought up OZ wheels. What ducky said is very true but OZ Allegerita wheels could be a rare exception. Not exactly cheap, but relatively cheap compared to other Porsche wheels (OEM and AM).
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah, that's why I brought up OZ wheels. What ducky said is very true but OZ Allegerita wheels could be a rare exception. Not exactly cheap, but relatively cheap compared to other Porsche wheels (OEM and AM).
I have a pair of OZs and I would agree that they seem to be an exception to that rule. Though I wouldn't call them cheap relative to all wheels on the market. But they are cheap relative to other wheels of similar weight & strength.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

BBS are 4500, Fikse 4000, CCW a relative bargain at 2800 . There are some nice wheels at formula43.com they are the former guys from Fikse but still in the lowe 3k range. What sucks is needing 3 sets.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by its about time...
is there a Discount Tire in your area? I got a quote on 18" Nitto's from them last week.

Jim
I've got BigO and America's tire that sell the Nittos locally. It's finding a distributor that sells both the tires and wheels I want that's tough. It would be nice to get a package deal.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I got my OZ wheels from Tire Rack in a package with RE-11's mounted. The RE-11 gives up very little to the NT01. Once this set of tires is used up, then I'll go with the NT01's.

I've also purchased just the OZ wheels and had NT01's mounted at the local Discount Tire store. They were confused at first - you want NT01's on this!? Just make sure they don't charge the standard 'tire disposal' fee.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't post much here, but I am in a similar situation and figured I'd chime in.

I am also considering auto-x specific 18" wheel/tire combo that will clear my PCCBs on my '06 Cayman S.
I emailed Damon yesterday and he confirmed the 18" OZ Alleggeritta HLT will not clear PCCBs.

The two front running choices (keeping cost in mind) seem to be CCW 10/14 and Forgestar CF5s. I'd appreciate anyone's opinions on any additional choices.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by switchface
I don't post much here, but I am in a similar situation and figured I'd chime in.

I am also considering auto-x specific 18" wheel/tire combo that will clear my PCCBs on my '06 Cayman S.
I emailed Damon yesterday and he confirmed the 18" OZ Alleggeritta HLT will not clear PCCBs.

The two front running choices (keeping cost in mind) seem to be CCW 10/14 and Forgestar CF5s. I'd appreciate anyone's opinions on any additional choices.
Thanks for posting and filling us in! Bummer the Alleggerita's don't fit over the PCCBs. Here's the summary of my findings:

1) Forgestar: cheap, look good, but questionable reliability
2) CCW: good, strong forged wheel, pricing is about $700 per wheel. The designs of their wheels just aren't quite what I'm looking for
3) Forgeline: awesome, strong wheels. GA3R is priced slightly above CCW, but again the look isn't quite right for me. GA1R and CF3C are very nice and what I'm looking for in terms of looks, but the price goes up into the $1000+ each range.
4) Volk TE 37: my front runner right now. In the same price range as GA3R, and the look I want.
5) Alleggerita: won't fit over PCCBs

Stay tuned...
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Pulled the trigger. Volk TE37s have been ordered with NT01 tires mounted on them. I found a fantastic deal, which made the choice a no-brainer. Forged, lightweight, and direct Porsche fitment.
18x8.5 +50 weigh 16lb
18x10.5 +41 weigh 19lb.

If anyone is interested in getting a set for a great price (less than CCW), PM me.

Last edited by orthojoe; 08-03-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Joe I don't have enough posts on rennlist to send a PM. Can you shoot me an email?

c.chiappinelli @ yahoo

Quick Reply: 18" track wheel for my spyder: which one?