Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:48 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

A power top would undoubtedly be more practical but without the speedster style humps the Spyder loses its charm. Just looks like another boxster then... meh
Old 12-13-2018, 06:13 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by DR1VEN
A power top would undoubtedly be more practical but without the speedster style humps the Spyder loses its charm. Just looks like another boxster then... meh
Spyder can keep its humps, manual top, and charm. Many prefer the cleaner and simpler lines of the Boxster and the more practical auto top. Why not give those folks the big NA engine too? Along the lines of wingless 911 R and GT3 Touring.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:37 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

3.8 Boxster T would be a must buy.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Friend of mine says that mule sounds like a 2.0 Turbo!!!! I think he is crazy. Anyone else think that sounds like a turbo?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zoaPG454vkg

The latest mule is sounding good. We might just get a 4.0 NA motor on a Boxster with adequate ground clearance and a regular top for those who prefer its practicality.
Hate to break it to you, but that video is not recent. Look at the trees and weather. Also, the ring has been closed for awhile while it’s being repaved.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm all in on a humpless N/A Boxster....I don't think that is going to happen though, will need to live with the humps
Old 12-13-2018, 11:45 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Spyder can keep its humps, manual top, and charm. Many prefer the cleaner and simpler lines of the Boxster and the more practical auto top. Why not give those folks the big NA engine too? Along the lines of wingless 911 R and GT3 Touring.
I get what you are saying... why doesn't porsche make a powerful NA practical boxster. Sort of a Boxster Spyder "Touring" that's not a spyder... while some folks may want this, unfortunately Porsche is not here to cater to every niche... the niche needs to be big enough to be more profitable against the existing offer. My guess is those that are hassled by the roof either get over the hassle and get a 718 Spyder anyway, will concede the NA and get a 718GTS or will concede the roof altogether and get a GT4. The remaining ones miss out but probably not enough to build an extra model around. I've had a Spyder for 3 years now and the roof hasn't stopped me once- if the weather is bad, the top just stays up- it's not the end of the world and not enough of a reason to miss out on the glorious NA... IMHO.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:49 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Closertotruth
Friend of mine says that mule sounds like a 2.0 Turbo!!!! I think he is crazy. Anyone else think that sounds like a turbo?
Your friend isn't crazy! I happen to think that's not NA as well. However, sounds nicer than rest of the 982s. As pointed out, that footage may not be recent. It could as well be a very early proto of next gen Boxster; or, some random proto testing some random stuff.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:26 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I get what you are saying... why doesn't porsche make a powerful NA practical boxster. Sort of a Boxster Spyder "Touring" that's not a spyder... while some folks may want this, unfortunately Porsche is not here to cater to every niche... the niche needs to be big enough to be more profitable against the existing offer. My guess is those that are hassled by the roof either get over the hassle and get a 718 Spyder anyway, will concede the NA and get a 718GTS or will concede the roof altogether and get a GT4. The remaining ones miss out but probably not enough to build an extra model around. I've had a Spyder for 3 years now and the roof hasn't stopped me once- if the weather is bad, the top just stays up- it's not the end of the world and not enough of a reason to miss out on the glorious NA... IMHO.
My guess is Porsche could sell 3x more NA Boxster T vs Spyders and all of them for full and high MSRP instead of discounts on lower MSRP base/S/GTS. If there’s a small niche here, that would be the Spyder. The NA Boxster T would have appeal to a much wider audience.

Regarding the manual top hassle... On a typical sunny day drive I may make 2-3 stops — meet with friends, stop at the grocery, or pick smth else up on the way home. Doing TWO close/open dances around the Spyder each time I park it and leave it unattended (for a total of SIX dances per drive) will get old fast. Not to mention closing the top for the highway/fast sections and opening it up for the local roads, or closing it into a sudden rain shower. I know without asking that my wife too would rather avoid the hassle. All of this is pretty standard stuff that concerns most typical roadster users — I don’t think I’m in the minority.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That's one of the reason's I love the Spyder, it wasn't built for the majority. Porsche gave the engineers free reign to focus on the driving aspect of the car rather than the convenience.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:26 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

The 20lbs saved in the top must change the driving aspect completely.
I even doubt that it’s 20lbs savings all-in if you consider the much bulkier humps-trunk. It’s mostly “purist” marketing either way.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

. . . I've had a Spyder for 3 years now and the roof hasn't stopped me once- if the weather is bad, the top just stays up- it's not the end of the world and not enough of a reason to miss out on the glorious NA....
Bingo. As far as the top being a "hassle," I suppose it could be if one doesn't employ a modicum of common sense.

If you plan to run a series of chores (i.e., groceries, dry cleaning, dropping something off, picking something up, whatever) and repeatedly leave your car unattended, then perhaps consider not putting the top down while doing that series of activities. Problem solved!

If you plan to drive on freeways and for some reason don't like having the top down when you do so, then here's an idea . . . . maybe leave the top up.

If it looks like it's going to rain, uh, maybe reconsider putting the roof down.

Bottom line: You can make anything a "hassle" if you truly want to. For the rest of us, it's really no big deal.

Personally, I wouldn't trade push-button convenience for the weight savings, exotic looks, and the consistent Spyder design elements the roof and humps afford. No way.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That's one of the reason's I love the Spyder, it wasn't built for the majority. Porsche gave the engineers free reign to focus on the driving aspect of the car rather than the convenience.
+1. The Spyder isn't meant for everyone. Porsche comes flat out and states in its Spyder press release that the lightweight design of the roof was prioritized over convenience. You either get it or you don't.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:58 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Bingo. As far as the top being a "hassle," I suppose it could be if one doesn't employ a modicum of common sense.

If you plan to run a series of chores (i.e., groceries, dry cleaning, dropping something off, picking something up, whatever) and repeatedly leave your car unattended, then perhaps consider not putting the top down while doing that series of activities. Problem solved!

If you plan to drive on freeways and for some reason don't like having the top down when you do so, then here's an idea . . . . maybe leave the top up.

If it looks like it's going to rain, uh, maybe reconsider putting the roof down.

Bottom line: You can make anything a "hassle" if you truly want to. For the rest of us, it's really no big deal.
Never thought of this common sense idea efore. Thx. Would be even better if I could maximize my top down driving by easily opening and closing the top whenever I want. Hope someone invents a solution.

Personally, I wouldn't trade push-button convenience for the weight savings, exotic looks, and the consistent Spyder design elements the roof and humps afford. No way.
Personally, I would.

The Spyder isn't meant for everyone. Porsche comes flat out and states in its Spyder press release that the lightweight design of the roof was prioritized over convenience. You either get it or you don't.
Exactly, I don’t get it. The folks that do, can still have their Spyder, the rest can have the Boxster T. Thankfully, people have different preferences all the time.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:28 AM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Never thought of this common sense idea efore. Thx. Would be even better if I could maximize my top down driving by easily opening and closing the top whenever I want. Hope someone invents a solution.

Personally, I would.

Exactly, I don’t get it. The folks that do, can still have their Spyder, the rest can have the Boxster T. Thankfully, people have different preferences all the time.

time me to move along, to the 718 Boxster thread maybe?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Kinda funny wasn’t the Spyder originally designed without a top?

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?