Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:12 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
........., they only need to comply with the 75db limit but that is lower than current cars. The 981 GT4 was in the 90s. That's a massive jump. Fixing the muffled sound is presumably easy. See: Povic, Akra. If it's N/A, you can make it scream again provided the particulate filter and all the other stuff doesn't contribute heavily to the muffling. Even then, I'm sure there's ways around it.

As for the launch, the GT4CS will be testing publicly this summer (starting next month non-publicly) and all of the clubsport racers and members with cleaning ladies seem to think the next GT4 is N/A.
That's a massive drop indeed! Spyder isn't a Spyder without a good sound! Hope you are right about ways to make it sing again, if NA. I still think it is NA. There is some funny business going on with that proto. Chances are, as soon as it debuts, we will have to start looking into clearing it's musical channels. I am sure technically-minded members will dig into this whole particle filter thing. But, it is emission related; so, we can't mess with it much. In any event, regardless of the engine, the sound is gonna suck, out of the box! It is gonna need work to be on par with 981 Spyder.

If GT4CS is going to be let loose in a month, at least privately, we don't have to wait long for answers.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:21 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

The thing about noise limits is that I don't believe they apply to whatever happens when you turn PSE on. It will be measured with everything in its default condition. They may need to stop opening the valves automatically at high RPM and loads but other than that I don't think they'll suddenly need to become very quiet.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:02 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

If that's the case, then we are in luck! If PSE opens everything up, regardless of the regs, we wouldn't have to worry about it. Thanks for clarifying; great relief!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
The thing about noise limits is that I don't believe they apply to whatever happens when you turn PSE on. It will be measured with everything in its default condition. They may need to stop opening the valves automatically at high RPM and loads but other than that I don't think they'll suddenly need to become very quiet.
Similar to the turbo fours compared to the NA flat sixes. Done to meet a regulation that doesn't mean much in the real world.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:26 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
You're right. They will use the stock exhaust as well. However, they do have to have a period of WOT where the "throttle is depressed as rapidly and safely as possible to the floor". If the flaps open on load in addition to RPM, then they would need to kill that as well. All that said, flaps closing isn't going to muffle 20db of sound. The cruising speed tests are done at 1/2 RPM essentially so that automatically is quieter. Really, though, who knows. This might be the sound of the 4.0 at low to mid revs after it's been restricted in some fashion and the noise regulations. Or it could be turbo. It's nothing like the F4T in the 718 so we at least have that going for us.

Obviously, Porsche also gets away with the GT3 sound being what it is, though I'm pretty sure that one only has to comply with 80db because they can wave it away with "this version of this car has 4 seats therefore, it is a different class".
Old 04-18-2018, 07:20 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Actually, GT3 doesn't have 4 seats! And, shouldn't a 4-seater have even lower limit since it tends to be just sporty (or, a regular family type) as opposed to a sports car?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:10 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Actually, GT3 doesn't have 4 seats! And, shouldn't a 4-seater have even lower limit since it tends to be just sporty (or, a regular family type) as opposed to a sports car?
What I was getting at is they might be able to say, for the GT3, car x has 4 seats and this is based on it so therefore, we are in a different class. As for the 4 seats thing, after seeing what AMG do, I'm not convinced they could get away with calling it "a family saloon". haha.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:13 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Regarding the new Europe Sound Regulations
“The standards would only affect which vehicles can be sold from 2019. The new limits would be 68 decibels for cars, 70 decibels for vans and 78 decibels for lorries. The regulation will also introduce a new noise test method for vehicles.”

For reference, the 2016 Carrera S max is 78db
Haha this would be fantastic then maybe I could pass sound at laguna with a stock car.

This car is 3.0T for sure. I'm actually wondering if that diffuser is a clever way to mount an inter cooler? Wouldn't a big cutout like that allow air to move from some front intakes perhaps underneath through the middle with the happy side effect of providing extra downforce. dunno.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

That's a 4-Cyl sound

What a pity.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:11 AM
4nroots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
That's a 4-Cyl sound

What a pity.
I like how people hate on the H4 engine for its sound, but in reality don't even know what it sounds like lol
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4nroots
I like how people hate on the H4 engine for its sound, but in reality don't even know what it sounds like lol
Disagree. People are having a hard time accepting and understanding the sound that remotely does not sound like the sound that should be generated by the motor Porsche said the car would be powered with. So that sort of a "am I hearing that right" doubt pops in to mind. Every magazine is harping on about the gt3 4 liter flat 6 when it sounds like a turbo setup.

I fall in to the camp where there's no doubt it's a turbo motor albeit the 6 cylinder.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:18 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

That's a 4-Cyl sound

What a pity.
Which is more pitiful, a new turbo Spyder or the fact that you sold your 6 cylinder NA Spyder? :-)
Old 04-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer

Which is more pitiful, a new turbo Spyder or the fact that you sold your 6 cylinder NA Spyder? :-)

I think the new PTS GT3 is helping him over the pain :-)
Old 04-19-2018, 07:30 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a 4-Cyl sound

What a pity.
Sounds more like the 6 turbo in my Cayenne GTS...
Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

My Cayenne GTS has the V8. Between the Spyder and the Cayenne, I ride with wonderful motor noises!

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?