Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

BRZ vs. Spyder??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun stuff. Thanks joe!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! I had a 2012 Miata before (and still have) I got my Spyder. I replaced the header to exhaust and tuned it and it makes a pretty decent noise, but it's still a 4-banger for sure. When I first got the Spyder I was asking myself what I was going to do with the Miata and at this point I've made up my mind. The Spyder's for very low to no chance of rain days, and the Miata's for up to like 50% chance days and also for autocross.

Now I'm trying to decide what I want to do to it for autocross prep. I have 3 groups I can run with: SCCA, Renegage Miata, and PCA. SCCA has rules against forced induction on stock NA engines, and since I'm also feeling the power deficit now that I've got the Spyder, I'm thinking that I may supercharge it and get it some fatter tires.

Sidetracking the thread a little, but it's very similar to the BRZ.... I just really like being able to take the top off.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:07 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Just a heads up for those who own a BRZ/FRS or are considering buying one, a Nameless full header back exhaust and a tune gives the car another +/-50whp. That and a proper clutch type LSD and some decent rubber and Pobst's time will fall easily to a mere mortal...
I WANT TO KNOW MORE!!!!!

From my research it is very hard to extract 2-3 hp from these 2.0L engine. 50+ hp will transform the car
Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
I WANT TO KNOW MORE!!!!!

From my research it is very hard to extract 2-3 hp from these 2.0L engine. 50+ hp will transform the car
It's about to get better. Last night Nameless and Cosworth announced a new US market partnership. Go find nameless on FB for the press release.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'll be a monkey's uncle if you can get 50whp from a tune and exhaust upgrade on a BRZ.

It will take forced induction to get that kind of power.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
It's about to get better. Last night Nameless and Cosworth announced a new US market partnership. Go find nameless on FB for the press release.
when you said nameless I thought you meant that you did not want to mention the company name for some reason. Here is the article link: http://namelessperformance.com/about/

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'll be a monkey's uncle if you can get 50whp from a tune and exhaust upgrade on a BRZ.

It will take forced induction to get that kind of power.
If I can get additional 50 hp without force induction I will get a BRZ tonight!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

just got off the phone with nameless, they will be coming out with full header/cat back exhaust system combine with software tune for BRZ and their conservative estimate for HP gain is around 25. That's not an official figure and we should know more once their software/exhaust products are released in couple weeks ... maybe more than 25 hp by then?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks for all the updates! When I bought my 996 in April of this year, I was wrestling with buying a brand new BRZ (full warranty, new car, etc.), -vs- a 10 year old car that has no warranty and is rather expensive for parts, etc.

I opted for the 996, but I'm still thinking of getting a BRZ too (the dealer never seems to have any in stock for me to test drive!). Everything I have read about the BRZ has been very positive (other than the relatively low power). Then, the Consumer Reports magazine that came out a few days ago gave it very low marks, but did not provide one word of explanation. Do you have any idea what their complaint is? Lots of times it's something that I couldn't care less about, such as a low roofline that makes entrance difficult, or some such non-issue to me.

For me, the BRZ would be just a fun additional daily driver, the 996 for daily driving and for the track.

I've owned about 10 Subarus over the years, and have always been very pleased with them.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:51 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Thanks for all the updates! When I bought my 996 in April of this year, I was wrestling with buying a brand new BRZ (full warranty, new car, etc.), -vs- a 10 year old car that has no warranty and is rather expensive for parts, etc.

I opted for the 996, but I'm still thinking of getting a BRZ too (the dealer never seems to have any in stock for me to test drive!). Everything I have read about the BRZ has been very positive (other than the relatively low power). Then, the Consumer Reports magazine that came out a few days ago gave it very low marks, but did not provide one word of explanation. Do you have any idea what their complaint is? Lots of times it's something that I couldn't care less about, such as a low roofline that makes entrance difficult, or some such non-issue to me.

For me, the BRZ would be just a fun additional daily driver, the 996 for daily driving and for the track.

I've owned about 10 Subarus over the years, and have always been very pleased with them.
my research and feedback from orthojoe there are several issues with BRZ/Scion FR-S. One major issue is leaky fuel injector seal that allow extra air into cylinder and make the engine burn lean which can lead to failure. The other issue is wheel bearing failure and both cases are seen with just street driving and track duty may enhance the failure. There are couple minor cosmetic hiccups but like you say most of us don't care. In any case these engine and wheel bearing are so cheap even if you have a catastrophic failure warranty will take care of it or you can just buy a used engine from ebay for $3K

Last edited by mikymu; 11-09-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks, useful info.

Much appreciated!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:17 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks, vet. The minivan was there to boost my confidence. LOL. The engine note is embellished because of the mic proximity. In reality, it sounds more like a sewing machine. LOL. The best place to put a mic for our spyders is behind the license plate frame.
Joe,

I've started removing the engine covers when I go to the track. Cooling is greatly enhanced (the aux fans never came on, even after 40min sessions), and the sound is great.

Aaron
Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Joe,

I've started removing the engine covers when I go to the track. Cooling is greatly enhanced (the aux fans never came on, even after 40min sessions), and the sound is great.

Aaron
Makes sense. I have yet to remove the engine cover on my spyder.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

is this the foam piece holding the roof if it is stored in the car?

since I sold the spyder in the U.S, i have been thinking about a replacement vehicle but more FRS than BRZ. The toyota dealer is just 2 mins away and it is such great value compared to the U.K.

anywho, looking to track the spyder more this season.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medtech
Joe,

Aaron
could you do a quick how-to on removing the engine cover Aaron ? thanks !

Donn

Quick Reply: BRZ vs. Spyder??