Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get GT4 when I already have a 981 Spyder Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Should I get GT4 when I already have a 981 Spyder Boxster?

I own a 981 Boxster Spyder and it is spectacular! I also own a 2015 991 Turbo S coupe. I am beginning to get in to car racing training as a hobby. I hesitate to track the Spyder or the 991 turbo S. I have an opportunity to purchase a GT4. Should I or should I not go for it. Getting it at MSRP, has standard seats (I would have loved to have LWBS). I just cannot make a decision. Does any one have experience with tracking the Boxster or the 991 Turbo S coupe? Should I even be looking at a GT4 when I already have a Spyder? Please help!

Raghu
Old 02-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are just getting into DEs the GT 4 is perhaps more car than you need. It might be wiser to find a cheaper DE car with safety equipment that has already been set up. A new GT 4 will be great on the track, but you will probably want to get different seats and add harnesses. You will also want non-drilled rotors and track pads. I would want to have clear bra over high wear areas, so that will cost some money. It will also be costly to track due to insurance.

The same considerations apply to the Spyder, which will be an awesome track car as well.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Raghu
Pro

Thanks Pep!RRRR. I see your point. It may be better to get a low priced car, perhaps a used Miata or such and make it track ready and get a lot of track experience before committing a porsche to the track. I appreciate your point immensely.
Raghu
Old 02-20-2016, 09:27 PM
cheechs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2011 turbo s cab and tracked it. Handles very well in green and blue run groups. It was not the car for white or advanced run groups. The car is just to heavy and I feel the all wheel drive takes away the experience of tracking. Your better off buying a gt3 over a gt4 in handeling and over all horsepower.

C2s 2007
Turbos s 2011
Gt3. 2014
Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 PM
FrugalB
Advanced

Go for an AP2 S2000. Well balanced car easy to track and affordable.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:38 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

I would put some clear bra on the spyder and use that for DE. Well balanced and should serve you good for a couple of years. Then you will know if you need a track specific car. Enjoy and stay safe.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:39 PM
Raghu
Pro

Originally Posted by cheechs
I had a 2011 turbo s cab and tracked it. Handles very well in green and blue run groups. It was not the car for white or advanced run groups. The car is just to heavy and I feel the all wheel drive takes away the experience of tracking. Your better off buying a gt3 over a gt4 in handeling and over all horsepower.

C2s 2007
Turbos s 2011
Gt3. 2014
I have started to look at gt3. I was somewhat concerned by people talking about the gt3 engine. Is that no longer a concern? Will a standard driver seat work in a GT3?
Old 02-20-2016, 10:43 PM
Raghu
Pro

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I would put some clear bra on the spyder and use that for DE. Well balanced and should serve you good for a couple of years. Then you will know if you need a track specific car. Enjoy and stay safe.
I have put a clear bra. Very pragmatic to let the Spyder first test the driver and hone his skills.then look at more accomplished vehicles like the GT3 down the road. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:05 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

If you got the allocation for a GT4, I would say go for it. You will build up the skill in a couple of seasons to exploit the potentials of GT4. 997 GT3 is also a good option. If you are after lap time, PDK is the way to go. But, if you want to have fun on the track, I would stay with a MT. As others pointed out, cheaper options can be a Spec Miata or S2000; or, 987 Boxster/Cayman.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Fadi1
Pro

I have a 991 GT3. I do about 4 maybe 5 events at the track/year. The car is awesome and a GT4 can't much the raw feel/power and handling. My buddy has a GT4 that he tracks all the time. He is an expert driver. But if he could afford it he would switch to the GT3. Just got my Spyder and I think it's a keeper as well, for the fun/transmission/soft top. MHO
Old 02-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Raghu
Pro

Originally Posted by the_rider
If you got the allocation for a GT4, I would say go for it. You will build up the skill in a couple of seasons to exploit the potentials of GT4. 997 GT3 is also a good option. If you are after lap time, PDK is the way to go. But, if you want to have fun on the track, I would stay with a MT. As others pointed out, cheaper options can be a Spec Miata or S2000; or, 987 Boxster/Cayman.
I have simply fallen in love with the MT on my 981 Spyder since I bought it on new year's eve. The connection between the driver and the motorcar is like that between the fetus and the placenta. The MT is truly that proverbial umbilical cord. So I simply cannot think of getting another PDK when I already have a 991 turbo S. So I think the Spyder will help build my skill on the track and if my track exploits ever reach a level that I need a true track car then perhaps I may start hunting for one.
On another note, 'The_rider', the GT4 was not going to be an allocation but simply a car that was on a dealer lot that he is willing to sell at MSRP because it has sat on the lot now for over 60 days. I would have liked to have LWBS on a GT4 and it does not have those. Hence the hesitation and plea for help from the forum.
I must say that this forum has a lot of good people on it that offer real world advise when one is torn between decisions. Thanks guys!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:46 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

I had a similar quandary on the 991 Turbo S thread when considering ordering a GT4 and selling our Boxster S. In my own naval gaze, the most fun I ever had on the track was with my 996 GT3 which I enjoyed for three years.....I mean it was a blast.....so given you have some of the best technology Porsche has to offer now, why not look for a properly enjoyed 996 GT3 which to me is the best 'value' out there for the track ? I enjoyed building mine with a harness bar, LWBs, wheels, suspension parts - mufflers...goofing around with the car in the garage was half of the fun - then I sold it after three years for $ 1,500.00 more than I paid for it....and it looked wicked with my old Turbo in the garage!
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Raghu
Pro

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I had a similar quandary on the 991 Turbo S thread when considering ordering a GT4 and selling our Boxster S. In my own naval gaze, the most fun I ever had on the track was with my 996 GT3 which I enjoyed for three years.....I mean it was a blast.....so given you have some of the best technology Porsche has to offer now, why not look for a properly enjoyed 996 GT3 which to me is the best 'value' out there for the track ? I enjoyed building mine with a harness bar, LWBs, wheels, suspension parts - mufflers...goofing around with the car in the garage was half of the fun - then I sold it after three years for $ 1,500.00 more than I paid for it....and it looked wicked with my old Turbo in the garage!
Overdraft,
You do make a good point there about the 996 GT3. Now that would be something to play with while the turbo S and the Spyder could be just for the regular road. I am considering trying the Spyder on the track and although I have a clear bra on it I am still a little apprehensive about the effect a track would have on the car's overall cosmetics. I do have the option to use my 991 turbo S on the track. It has a clear bra as well. I would probably switch the exhaust system to a GMG racing exhaust and perhaps add the headers and then give it a shot. I just can't think of using a PDK on the track though when the MT is simply so much more fun. I really don't care about lap times.
Raghu
Old 02-21-2016, 10:07 AM
dntlvet
Pro

You do not want to track a Turbo S. GT4 is more balanced. As others stated, you could get a 944 to track or an older m3.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:04 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 984 Likes on 427 Posts

I recommend getting a 991 GT3. Much more attainable than the GT3RS but offers 97% of the same thrill. If you do get it, you would have the perfect combos of cars. Spyder for the weekend canyon driving, Turbo S for the daily commute, and the GT3 (with proper track set up, alignments and other little upgrades from BBI) for the canyon/track duty!

If you go with the GT4, the LWB seats is a must in my opinion. On the Spyder, not so much because it's a very different kind of car compared to the GT4.

Quick Reply: Should I get GT4 when I already have a 981 Spyder Boxster?