Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 981 Spyder Buyers: What allocation build date did you receive?
June 2015
0.97%
July 2015
3.88%
August 2015
1.94%
September 2015
15.53%
October 2015
17.48%
November 2015
9.71%
December 2015
18.45%
January 2016
3.88%
February 2016
8.74%
March 2016
13.59%
April 2016
3.88%
May 2016
1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

981 Spyder Order Tracker Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That just showed up late last night on autotrader. Guess they're moving after all
Old 10-08-2015, 03:21 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the price as listed?
Old 10-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Edit: this was still on my home screen when I opened the iPad.
No price listed online

Last edited by Milehigh981; 10-08-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveInNj
I looked into this with my red/black Spyder classic interior. The PCNA folks said the leather will be black, not red. I also,told them about the pics online, but they said unless I provide a vin number and they could look it up if it was special order. Otherwise, they are black. I would have ordered if red leather.

I didn't go alcantara sun visors as, unlike the GT4, there is no alcantara trim around the windshield of the Spyder and I worried they would look out of place.

The price can't be beat if you order with the car though. But for red, I think I will go aftermarket covers if I bother at all.
Was able to sneak in a change in sun visors back to alcantara thanks to your info. Disappointing that the leather was black not red as in the picture. I kept the leather steering column though as I've seen in in real life and it adds a really nice element to the interior
Old 10-09-2015, 07:34 PM
SteveInNj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Was able to sneak in a change in sun visors back to alcantara thanks to your info. Disappointing that the leather was black not red as in the picture. I kept the leather steering column though as I've seen in in real life and it adds a really nice element to the interior
Either would still look great. I wish this wasn't true, but I even have the email from PCNA stating that leather visors are black. I'm still bumming that I couldn't have them in red. After a very long debate in my head, I didn't go with leather steering column, but I did spec leather instrument surround. Maybe I should have.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:24 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Either would still look great. I wish this wasn't true, but I even have the email from PCNA stating that leather visors are black. I'm still bumming that I couldn't have them in red. After a very long debate in my head, I didn't go with leather steering column, but I did spec leather instrument surround. Maybe I should have.
The question though is specifically if they are black if you order the red interior? We've all seen the red interior car for sale with the red visors which started this whole question.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

I am not one to tell others what to do, these are all very very personal decisions however… I went to see a car with leather instruments around and could barely tell the difference with the normal plastic… Whereas I have seen many cars with the leather steering column, and to me it made a huge difference. The plastic on the steering column has a big joint along the sides and is a very large chunk of plastic… I think that the $300 or so for the leather steering column is one of those high value ratio items on the options list which makes the car look very custom finished.

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
The question though is specifically if they are black if you order the red interior? We've all seen the red interior car for sale with the red visors which started this whole question.
Well I have a red interior, and my sales advisor checked with Porsche cars North America and said that both the steering column and the visors my black leather… It would seem like the pictures we saw were special ordered? I'm hedging my bets: i'm getting the Alcantar sunvisors because it matches with many parts with the interior and they look very special to me... Black leather sunvisors really don't look that different from the standard ones to me.If by chance the leather steering column ends up being red, I'll be super happy.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

I've never actually been the leather steering column...it looks that good?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
I've never actually been the leather steering column...it looks that good?
Just think how often you see a leather steering column, almost never except on something really high-end like a Bentley Rolls-Royce… What makes it so striking to me is seeing the stitching on such a large piece, for the price I feel like it's a no-brainer. If you go to the dealership at least one or two cars there will have it and you can decide for yourself.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:06 AM
SteveInNj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to decide if the black leather on the column is what you want. If you have the leather wheel and shifter and maybe some other trim, it is really nice. For my car, everything is red leather or alcantara. The black leather would not match anything. Alternately, if they made it in garnet red leather it may throw off the balance of the red/black interior. I don't think alcantara is available for the column.

But however it is done, it is very personal and there is no wrong choice.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:21 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

You have to decide if the black leather on the column is what you want. If you have the leather wheel and shifter and maybe some other trim, it is really nice. For my car, everything is red leather or alcantara. The black leather would not match anything. Alternately, if they made it in garnet red leather it may throw off the balance of the red/black interior. I don't think alcantara is available for the column.

But however it is done, it is very personal and there is no wrong choice.
My only lingering regrets are not getting the leather inner door sill and not getting the pcm Painted or in Leather; however, as good as it looked the painted or leather PMC was 2k and pushed me over by budget. The Leather Doors sills probably won't wear well so even at several hundred dollars it seemed a waste. But still I really would have like to have gotten both options to really feel in all the detail and make it look bespoke. Once I hit 100k+ I stopped. Plus I'm V250 Status!!!! I wanted a 85k car and I got a 101k car before taxes.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Just think how often you see a leather steering column, almost never except on something really high-end like a Bentley Rolls-Royce… What makes it so striking to me is seeing the stitching on such a large piece, for the price I feel like it's a no-brainer. If you go to the dealership at least one or two cars there will have it and you can decide for yourself.
The dealer I'm using is small, so they mostly have standard options.

Did find a good pic though and it does look nice. Certainly a better bargain the the Pcm or extended dash leather. Does the deviated stitching extend to that piece? Edit : looks like it does on the configurator

I freaking hate having all this time to change my build! Lol
Old 10-10-2015, 11:41 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
The dealer I'm using is small, so they mostly have standard options.

Did find a good pic though and it does look nice. Certainly a better bargain the the Pcm or extended dash leather. Does the deviated stitching extend to that piece? Edit : looks like it does on the configurator

I freaking hate having all this time to change my build! Lol
With the red interior there is no deviating stitching unfortunately... I sacrificed deviation at the altar of natural red leather LWB's ...
Old 10-12-2015, 02:20 PM
iflywoe
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im v270 !!!!!!
Old 10-12-2015, 03:40 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Congrats on V270! When are you expecting delivery? Asking because I'm wondering if I should bug my SA about my current status.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Order Tracker Thread...