Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 981 Spyder Buyers: What allocation build date did you receive?
June 2015
0.97%
July 2015
3.88%
August 2015
1.94%
September 2015
15.53%
October 2015
17.48%
November 2015
9.71%
December 2015
18.45%
January 2016
3.88%
February 2016
8.74%
March 2016
13.59%
April 2016
3.88%
May 2016
1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

981 Spyder Order Tracker Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:05 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by IAortho
Just curious about what you guys would choose for the interior trim options on a Sapphire blue Spyder with red seatbelts? I like the standard painted trim pieces on the dash, but am not sure about it surrounding the center console.

Also, I feel it is sacrilegious to spec a Spyder without LWB seats, but if the car will not be tracked, I'm starting to think that HEATED standard sports seats would be very nice for Spring and Fall around here. Not to mention ease of ingress/egress. I loved the old gt2 sport buckets and wish I could get them with heating as in Europe, but no. Does anyone happen to know the weight difference between the new LWB seats with height adjust motor and the standard sport seats?.....it can't be that much of a difference?

Anyway, opinions appreciated! And thanks!
Your thoughts mirror mine on the seats. I'm choosing standard seats with heat for ease in out.

As far as trim, I like leather and aluminum in your build...a classic look. Leather around the center console. Just my 2 cents. This what I did as far as trim and leather http://www.porsche-code.com/PGVCV8Y7
Old 08-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious about what you guys would choose for the interior trim options on a Sapphire blue Spyder with red seatbelts? I like the standard painted trim pieces on the dash, but am not sure about it surrounding the center console.

Also, I feel it is sacrilegious to spec a Spyder without LWB seats, but if the car will not be tracked, I'm starting to think that HEATED standard sports seats would be very nice for Spring and Fall around here. Not to mention ease of ingress/egress. I loved the old gt2 sport buckets and wish I could get them with heating as in Europe, but no. Does anyone happen to know the weight difference between the new LWB seats with height adjust motor and the standard sport seats?.....it can't be that much of a difference?

Anyway, opinions appreciated! And thanks!
Agree with the aluminum as noted above. I love the blue painted trim but think it might not go well with the red.
When I was looking at a sapphire build , that was a concern as well.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:01 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts
Default 981 Spyder Order Tracker Thread...

Just spent The evening at the Porsche Zentrum event at pebble beach, I learned something.

LWB: the seats are hard but comfortable.. Good amount of recline, not much lumbar support. Here's the kicker though... I'm pretty limber but these things are impossible to get in and out of without literally sliding over them to get in... I can't imagine how the leather will get worn on them, so fast. Very uncomfortable ingress and egress.. Tried everything I could, planting my hand on the handle. The door.. Etc.. I either slid-fell into them, or scuffed something getting out. May just be me but.. ****.. I have all sorts of doubts now.

COLOR: the yellow is AMAZINGLY in real life.. With aggressive gt4 bodywork and black wheels it was stunning. Carrera white metallic is also very beautiful. Gt4 overall looks like a total different beast to a cayman.. Can't WAIT for the Spyder with lower profile, it's going to be insanely aggressive and beautiful.

WEIRD OPTIONS: they had the yellow turbo S 911 there, the 180k car with $75k of options bringing it over $250k... It's a show piece with every possible options... Great demo vehicle...SO:
leather visors .. Not worth it..
Alcantara visors: very cool
leather instrument surround, not worth it.
-Inner leather door panel (on the ground)... TOTALLY WORTH IT!! Amazing look
-steering column in leather... Should be obligatory.. Beautiful with contrast stitching
-leather lined floor mats... Not obligatory but very very nice..

Problem is... I'm back to square one with colors and even debating the LWB now.. Damn damn damn!!!!!!

Thinking yellow spider again with PCCB and black/yellow interior... I'm so screwed, I'll never be able to make a final decision.

I'd post pics but phone app again isn't working and doesn't allow for pics.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Yeah me SA discouraged the LWB for that reason Calexio. I'm sure there is a trick to get out of them easier but it wasn't practical for my use either. Sat in buckets in a GT 3 and they were ok comfort wise but difficult to get out of. Not sure why they're the holy grail of seats for a road car.

Color: with you on yellow. If PTS was denied I would likely go yellow with black wheels and deviated stitching.

Re weird options.. The inner leather door panel.. You mean the lower door panel or the leather sill?
Never seen the steering colum in leather, wonder if the deviated stitching extends to there on a Spyder
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Yeah me SA discouraged the LWB for that reason Calexio. I'm sure there is a trick to get out of them easier but it wasn't practical for my use either. Sat in buckets in a GT 3 and they were ok comfort wise but difficult to get out of. Not sure why they're the holy grail of seats for a road car.

Color: with you on yellow. If PTS was denied I would likely go yellow with black wheels and deviated stitching.

Re weird options.. The inner leather door panel.. You mean the lower door panel or the leather sill?
Never seen the steering colum in leather, wonder if the deviated stitching extends to there on a Spyder
There is a trick getting in and out of the Sport Buckets. Hard to describe... Easier to show. If I had my 987.2 Spyder, I would do a video.

From CAlexio's description I think it is the lower inner door sill. I was actually told they look amazing, but they are subject to wear with feet going across them for entry and exit.

Photos of the steering column casing in leather I have seen for the GT4 are contrast stitching. If they weren't I wouldn't have ticked that box for my order.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:07 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Not sure why they're the holy grail of seats for a road car.
There not.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Was writing after a lot of wine. Yes I meant the leather door sill... Deviating stitching.. That and steering column were must have's for me. Would agree that LWB + leather door sills has got to be the most delicate combo ever.. Even if I figure it out, passengers are going to get an instruction manual to memoriZe before even touching the car.. Not sure j want to be that guy.
Oh who am I kidding
I AM that guy..
Old 08-15-2015, 04:20 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Does anyone know if PTS still open on soyders?
Old 08-15-2015, 04:23 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Does anyone know if PTS still open on soyders?
PTS has been closed since August 1st.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:26 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

It's almost unfair, you have to pick your color from a chart, and then you finally see a car in the flesh and the whole perception changes. Oh well... Deciding between CWM and jet black and yellow now. I'm so screwed
Old 08-15-2015, 05:03 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's almost unfair, you have to pick your color from a chart, and then you finally see a car in the flesh and the whole perception changes. Oh well... Deciding between CWM and jet black and yellow now. I'm so screwed
What was the color you were originally thinking of?
Porsche and PTS is a weird one. You have to know the system or it doesn't work. Timing is key. I attempted PTS on the 987.2 Spyder and was declined multiple times to the point I missed the window. You need to pre-plan your color selection prior to it even opening up to avoid delays. They window can close super quick.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:33 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard silver or Satin platinum wheels w/ sapphire blue?

Just curious if you'd choose the standard silver wheels or the satin platinum ones with a sapphire blue Spyder build? I know there isn't a right answer, but I'm starting to lean toward the platinum. Thx.

(Sorry, can't seem to find a sapphire Spyder with the platinum wheels.)
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Just curious if you'd choose the standard silver wheels or the satin platinum ones with a sapphire blue Spyder build? I know there isn't a right answer, but I'm starting to lean toward the platinum. Thx.

(Sorry, can't seem to find a sapphire Spyder with the platinum wheels.)
I prefer the platinum with sapphire
Old 08-16-2015, 07:46 PM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djlynch
I prefer the platinum with sapphire
I had the same quandary with my BSM GT3. After seeing both in person I prefer platinum/bronze look.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:06 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Both look good but after seeing the Sharapova pics I like the silver a little better with sapphire.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Order Tracker Thread...