Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD muffler sound Vid on my 981 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:43 PM
mtmilam
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FVD muffler sound Vid on my 981 Boxster

I just added the FVD muffler, sound version to my new 981 boxster….It now finally sounds like it should..….No Drone….and if you're easy on the gas, its not to loud….But Put your foot down…and that Baby will Scream like a Banshee!!…Gurgles and pops sound much better than Video…but here is a idea.

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Sounds great! I still can't get over how the pdk lever selector is backwards. Totally wrong.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:31 PM
mtmilam
AutoX

..What do you mean Backwards….Push it Forward to upshift….flick it Backwards to Downshift….took a little getting used to….but I "think" Forward for Faster and Backwards for slowing down or downshifting…..

It is sort of not what I was used to….but I got used to it now.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mtmilam
..What do you mean Backwards….Push it Forward to upshift….flick it Backwards to Downshift….took a little getting used to
Exactly. I'm very surprised that Porsche did it this way. Acura, Lexus, Nissan, etc, I can sort of understand why they do it that way because of their customer base. Porsche? I don't care what their customer base is, it's still no excuse for a company like Porsche. Then there's the buttons on the steering wheel. Why they don't just use the paddles for all PDK wheels doesn't make sense to me either. They switched everything around for it to all make sense on the new GT3, but it shouldn't be limited to just the GT3.

In any case, the exhaust note and burble on the new 981 sound awesome. That FVD makes it sound even better!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:27 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Sounds great. How much for that system, and where did you get it ?
I have a new Cayman and agree that the PDK shift action is intuitive. I use to drive a BMW 530i and it was the other way around. I much prefer the way the PDK shifts.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Eh... Joe was saying that he does NOT like the way PDK shifts.

Sequential shifter (e.g. Cup) = opposite of PDK.
991 GT3 = sequential way.
All other PDKs = opposite of sequential.

BTW, that exhaust sounds very good. I used to have FVD Sound on my Spyder and thought mine had sounded much quieter. 987.2 vs. 981 though.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:13 AM
mtmilam
AutoX

The Whole system was 2400.00 including shipping and Taxes….ask for the Planet 9 discount. Rhonda is very helpful….takes about 2-3 weeks as it comes from Germany….Quality is excellent, probably outlast the Car

http://www.fvd.net/us/en/Porsche-0/B...d_Version.html
Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Sounds great! How would this compare to the OEM PSE?

I too don't like that pdk shift direction. Looks unnatural. There is a reason why upshifts are backward on most race car sequentials (Cups). When you're accelerating, inertia is pulling your arm backwards (easier upshifts backward). When you're braking, inertia is pulling your arm forward (easier downshifts forward).

Plus, the most used gears/shifts in a H-pattern manual on both road and track are 3to4-th upshifts and 4to3-rd downshifts. A sequential or pdk should mimic the direction of these shifts.

It's weird that Porsche would neglect the above when making this decision. Good sign they fixed it in the GT3. Hopefully this (and no buttons, paddles only) will be done across the model range going forward.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 676 Posts

That sounds great! Do you feel like the power/torque is increased at all?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:13 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

$%&# I wish you had not posted this. Now I have to do this mod as it clearly makes the car sound the way it should. That sounds great! Have you had the car out for a long drive with the top up? I had a different aftermarket exhaust on our 987.1 and it droned badly between 2600-2800 rpm at a steady cruise, and was too loud in the cabin with the top up.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
I too don't like that pdk shift direction. Looks unnatural. There is a reason why upshifts are backward on most race car sequentials (Cups). When you're accelerating, inertia is pulling your arm backwards (easier upshifts backward). When you're braking, inertia is pulling your arm forward (easier downshifts forward).

Plus, the most used gears/shifts in a H-pattern manual on both road and track are 3to4-th upshifts and 4to3-rd downshifts. A sequential or pdk should mimic the direction of these shifts.

It's weird that Porsche would neglect the above when making this decision. Good sign they fixed it in the GT3. Hopefully this (and no buttons, paddles only) will be done across the model range going forward.
+1000. Exactly. However, I highly doubt Porsche will change what they do with the non GT lineup. It would be too confusing for their legions of non-enthusiast buyers who are used to the pattern found in the vast majority of passenger cars. It's a shame, because a company like Mitsubishi can get it right with the DCT shifter in the Evo. At least they got it right in the GT3...
Old 03-09-2014, 01:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by perretar
I have a new Cayman and agree that the PDK shift action is intuitive. I use to drive a BMW 530i and it was the other way around. I much prefer the way the PDK shifts.
No, your BMW had it RIGHT....
Old 03-09-2014, 01:25 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
+1000. Exactly. However, I highly doubt Porsche will change what they do with the non GT lineup. It would be too confusing for their legions of non-enthusiast buyers who are used to the pattern found in the vast majority of passenger cars. It's a shame, because a company like Mitsubishi can get it right with the DCT shifter in the Evo. At least they got it right in the GT3...
I think having differing pdk shift patterns across the model range is much more confusing. Many GT3 owners also own other Porsche models. If I had a GT3 and a Boxster, both with pdk, it would be extremely inconvenient to have to re-program my brain depending on which car I'm driving.

I still strongly prefer MT for my sports cars (and have no interest in pdk) but after reading so many glowing reviews I could entertain the idea of a pdk in a Cayman S which would see decent track time. If they don't fix the pdk direction, getting one with pdk would be completely out of the question for me.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
I think having differing pdk shift patterns across the model range is much more confusing. Many GT3 owners also own other Porsche models. If I had a GT3 and a Boxster, both with pdk, it would be extremely inconvenient to have to re-program my brain depending on which car I'm driving.
You do have a good point there, and I would agree with the reasoning. I just don't see it happening, IMO. You have to remember, the company has to cater to customers that need help with stuff like this:

I still strongly prefer MT for my sports cars (and have no interest in pdk) but after reading so many glowing reviews I could entertain the idea of a pdk in a Cayman S which would see decent track time. If they don't fix the pdk direction, getting one with pdk would be completely out of the question for me.
The good thing is, there's really no good reason to use the lever selector on track, so I guess it's not a big deal. Paddles or full auto are the way to go anyway. Make sure to get a wheel with the paddles. Those buttons on the wheel are even less intuitive and HORRIBLE. Even station wagons and SUVs comes with paddles that make sense and not those convoluted buttons...
Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 PM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Eh... Joe was saying that he does NOT like the way PDK shifts.

Sequential shifter (e.g. Cup) = opposite of PDK.
991 GT3 = sequential way.
All other PDKs = opposite of sequential.

BTW, that exhaust sounds very good. I used to have FVD Sound on my Spyder and thought mine had sounded much quieter. 987.2 vs. 981 though.
Eh... I understood that Joe does not like it, I was agreeing with mtmilam who said he does, and I also like the buttons on the Multi Function wheel.

Last edited by perretar; 03-09-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: FVD muffler sound Vid on my 981 Boxster