Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 981 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Test drove a 981 Cayman

Manual Transmission (no-PDK)
- Sound even without the optional sports exhaust is absolutely intoxicating. You hit the gas even When you do not need to just to hear the exhaust.
- The longer wheelbase makes the car feel like a 997 911. Very mature in it's composure over bumps where the old Cayman felt like a Skipping stone across water.
- Breaking is decidedly better. Feel is improved.
-The shifter is much higher due to the rising center console and would take some getting used to. Felt like a Civic SI.
- The cabin is much much larger and makes you feel as if you're in a larger car than you really are.
- Regrettably the rear trunk has gotten smaller.
- I had a hard time breaking the rear end loose when the traction control was on. This car really is the perfect tool for twisty roads that you're not familiar with because it's so hard to make a bad mistake.
- Engine rev'd smooth as butter.
- I don't care what Porsche says about how much better their electric steering is over everyone else's and how they only got rid of the "noise", this is not an improvement or comparable to hydraulic. There's enough feedback for spirited street driving, but on the track you are going to miss hydraulic. And I was on 19" wheels, so I imagine the numbness would be worse on 18's.
- The longer wheelbase is going to make this car much more capable on the track, you can feel the increased stability in fast sweepers.

Overall I loved the car. It does feel a bit more like a product than the previous car, but there's tons of appeal and its stunning in person. To borrow a line from the pundits: "The car feels like it grew up."
Old 05-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 582 Posts

Tx for posting. I think we're all real curious about this car. Any pics?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Ajjra
Pro

No photos worth sharing. I also forgot to mention that I missed the handbrake. It has this parking brake button now under the dash on the left side. Also the keys are now the shape of a car (odd)
Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was this a base or S? :-)
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Ajjra
Pro

This was a base, that's why I didn't comment on power - wanted to be fair. It felt noticeably slower on acceleration than my 987.1
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The electric steering, is it standard or an option ?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perretar
The electric steering, is it standard or an option ?
Standard as is start/stop technology to boost mileage, I'm so glad I was fortunate enough to find my dream car with neither.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice thing about start-stop is that when you turn it off it stays off even after a restart. So you push the button once and it's gone forever
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Ajjra
Pro

I suppose I failed to mention in my original post that if given the choice between keeping my 987.1 or trading it for a 981 (putting aside money factors) I would take the 981. It is a better car.
That said, I didn't feel much was missing from the 987.1 before the test drive. Both are enormously satisfying cars to drive.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

I totally agree with you comments on the electronic steering. Having come from the GT3, the best way I could describe it is "numb". Absolutely no road feel. Other than that, I agree with your review as I also drove a Cayman over the weekend.

Great car!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
I totally agree with you comments on the electronic steering. Having come from the GT3, the best way I could describe it is "numb". Absolutely no road feel. Other than that, I agree with your review as I also drove a Cayman over the weekend.

Great car!
Do you track your cars with any regularity? Would love to hear your impressions of the 981S vs the GT3 on track.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

I tracked the GT3 "often". Haven't tracked the 981 yet, but, to be honest, I am sure that there's no comparison. The 981S is a terrific car for what it is, but, it is not the track monster the GT3 is. In capable hands, I am sure that lap times are awesome.

BUT, put the same driver in both cars for lap time comparisons, and the GT3 will win all day, every day. A better "pure" comparison, IMHO, is that between a 991S and a 981S - the 991 will win every time

Bottom line, if you want a track car get a track car, if you want an amazingly fun DD that is more than capable around the track, get a 981S.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajjra
-The shifter is much higher due to the rising center console and would take some getting used to. Felt like a Civic SI.
I can't imagine many Porsche owners have ever driven one of these kiddie cars.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
I was young once...
Old 05-16-2013, 11:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
...... because... we can't all be big like Mike?

I got a chance to drive the new Cayman S last weekend at Sonoma Raceway. By in large, the cayman S was the the 'star' of the day. It felt much more balanced and fun to drive than it's C4 and C4S counterparts we were allowed to drive. The C4S had more power, but it didn't feel like 75hp more. The extra power in a 991S wasn't a selling point, IMO. As far as steering feel goes, I really don't notice any differences. I don't have a problem with the new electric steering system. If I didn't have a boxster spyder, I'd buy a new Cayman S right now.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 981 Cayman