Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Sport Chrono on 981S- deal breaker??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Lexz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my PDK without it since I am not planning on tracking it, actually did not like the look of the clock on the dash, and did not want my twenty something boys to be tempted to use launch feature. while it has only been three weeks, certainly don't miss it. The lack of it may impact eventual resale value but I tend to keep my cars for so long that resale is not of importance to me.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

My 08 Cayman S (with 6-speed manual) came with Sport Chrono. I used the sport mode once or twice but it made the car too hard to drive smoothly. Might be ok for the track but that's not my bag.

I used the chrono to time my time spent in fast food drive through lines.

But you should try to drive an example of a car with it. While your wife may not ever use it, you might find it worth the effort to find a car with it.
Agreed. Sport plus bumps throttle response if I'm not mistaken. I know it does a few other things. Bit to use Porsches words, it "sharpens throttle response." What does that mean exactly? Well to me it means if I press the throttle 50% the car will respond as if I pressed it 100%. Does that matter on the street? Not at all. Just press the throttle more, is it that important? Not to me. :-)
Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quicker throttle curve just feels better
Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Personally, I think diligent early oil changes (3500 miles for me) and being very careful not to over rev the engine are likely more crucial. I don't know P-lap, what I do know is I love the car and hope it runs just like it does now for a good many years..
I'd love to see an oil analysis of a car that was driven very often in Sport Plus and one without it that generally stayed below 3K RPM. A night and day comparison if you will.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I just drove a new boxster and cayman. They both had sport plus , but only the cayman had pasm. Both PDK. I enjoyed the cayman a lot more. I think the boxster needs pasm for better handling. I liked the PDK but it seemed to have smoother changes in the Cayman. I did not like sport plus. It just made the car sound broken ! Regular exhaust was on the cars. ?PSE/sports+ would have sounded much better
Honestly , it was laughably bad. The brake pedal seemed softer on the boxster , and went
Right down to the floor under heavy braking. Just sharing my first impressions.

Last edited by Turbo Jonny; 04-04-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
I just drove a new boxster and cayman. They both had sport plus , but only the cayman had pasm. Both PDK. I enjoyed the cayman a lot more. I think the boxster needs pasm for better handling. I liked the PDK but it seemed to have smoother changes in the Cayman. I did not like sport plus. It just made the car sound broken ! Regular exhaust was on the cars.
Honestly , it was laughably bad. The brake pedal seemed softer on the boxster , and went
Right down to the floor under heavy braking. Just sharing my first impressions.
Were these S models?? I agree that PASM is a must, especially with 19 and esp 20 inch wheels. Its also nice being able to stiff the shocks in sport mode but have a better ride in regular mode. I am suprised how many dealer ordered Box S are full of multiple options including PDK, Sport Chrono, etc but no PASM.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Yes they were S and i was surprised the Boxster did not have PASM. I had asked to try
Cars with the same options fitted. I expected the difference between them to be less pronounced. Need to try PASM Boxster , sports exhaust. Also want to try 987 Spyder
And Cayman R.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 662 Posts

[QUOTE=Turbo Jonny;10355606 Regular exhaust was on the cars.
Honestly , it was laughably bad....Just sharing my first impressions.[/QUOTE]

I must be too old or missing something here. The first day I went to drive one, the salesman started up an S and I asked "Is that the sport exhaust?" Nope.
Seemed fine to me, especially at minus $3K. I just don't get that.
Of course, my last 993 had a Fabspeed exhaust on it when i bought it. The first time I started it up with my wife in it, she said "why is it so loud?". I told her about the exhaust and was told "get rid of it". I agreed; it wasnt doing much for me, so I guess I'm not the best person to have an opinion here.
However, $3K? Really?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide not to get PSE, and want it louder later, you will spend about 2k for an aftermarket, plus install, so not that different
Old 04-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

I liked the sound with standard exhaust on these cars. But with sports plus engaged
The engine/ exhaust racket was awful. Worst at high rev gear changes-not even fit for a sporty skoda.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered my 2013 S w/o it but have PSE. Love it !
Old 04-05-2013, 03:11 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally wanted Sport Plus on my car, but really don't care about the chrono itself.

If you track the car, and have the full PCM upgrade, the Chrono will also allow split time options and other stuff via the touch screen. I've never used it, but some might.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I ordered it on mine with a 6 speed, since I was already pretty optioned out and it was "only" $1850 for the transmission mounts ("Eduardo made me do it").
Originally Posted by Keadog
I must be too old or missing something here.
Keith, the answer to the last question is obvious - yes, you are indeed getting too old! By the way, PCNA just sent me an added bonus for all of those options 'we' were able to get on your 981 order! It was a frozen 'Turducken' (deboned chicken, into a duck, into a turkey) which arrived yesterday via UPS! And all the sutures holding the 'Turducken' together were carefully done in a 'Guards Red' deviating stitching, which I thought was a nice touch by my pal Detlev von Platen with the help of 'Porsche Exclusive'!

Finally, have you given any more thought on that possible PTS 991 gt3 custom order we previously talked about? Next quarter incentives at PCNA are even more generous...and I get double bonus 'S&H' Green stamps too!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: No Sport Chrono on 981S- deal breaker??