Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Sport Chrono on 981S- deal breaker??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:25 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Sport Chrono on 981S- deal breaker??

As I search for a new or almost new 981 pdk to purchae, I was wondering how important would you guys consider having the sport chrono. This will strickly be a fun convertible that the wife many also drive on occassion. Obviously sport chrono would be nice to have but sometimes when a nice car at a good price comes along, it may not have it.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the Sport Chronos, it's an overpriced stop watch at best.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't have sport chrono, and love my car. Unless you're going to track it a LOT (my car will go to the track), IMHO, you won't miss it.

Sport Chrono is a neat option, though. I just wanted other features that my car had more
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

In the past, I would not buy a PDK car without sport chrono. However, now that the 'sport' button is standard, sport chrono isn't as needed. Although the dynamic transmissions mounts are now bundled with sport chrono, so. . .

For a daily driver, probably not a big deal.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Had it on my 997 S cab and my Boxster S and never used it. I would not order it again.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sport plus makes an enormous difference, for one thing the rpms never drop below 4K.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 677 Posts

I ordered it on mine with a 6 speed, since I was already pretty optioned out and it was "only" $1850 for the transmission mounts ("Eduardo made me do it").
Almost certainly didn't need it and it would not have kept me from buying a car I liked that was otherwise equipped the way I wanted.
It obviously makes more sense to me in a PDK, but I don't drag race any more either.
The thing that makes it more tolerable than in the 991 is that it isn't an ugly pimple on the dashboard. In fact, I think it's pretty well integrated into the car.
BTW, I tried adding heated steering wheel last week and found out those Germans take their build lock dates pretty seriously - I was given a polite "no"...
Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Waste of money on a street car with a manual that does not see the track. If you have to have the more aggessive throttle response and shifting algorithms for the PDK then it might be worth it to you. Had it on two cars and never used it a single time.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not needed. I wouldn't blink a bit if a car you find doesn't have it. You won't miss it.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I wouldn't rule a car out that was missing it but sport plus and pse are pressed almost every trip, so I disagree with not using it. Probably the best way to know is to drive one with it as a test and decide yourself if you like it or want it.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:46 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I wouldn't rule a car out that was missing it but sport plus and pse are pressed almost every trip, so I disagree with not using it. Probably the best way to know is to drive one with it as a test and decide yourself if you like it or want it.
And more importantly, first drive a car without it. And afterward, ask yourself this. Do I really need anything more? Especially on a manual car.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mandatory if you ever plan on driving it at the track or if you are buying a manual!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Sport plus makes an enormous difference, for one thing the rpms never drop below 4K...

sport plus and pse are pressed almost every trip, so I disagree with not using it..
See this makes me wonder if cars are like yours, that aren't perpetually short shifted, get out all the build up, aren't also the healthiest engines one can buy second hand.

In other words the opposite of conventional wisdom which would have one looking at cars that lived below 4K RPM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
As I search for a new or almost new 981 pdk to purchae, I was wondering how important would you guys consider having the sport chrono. This will strickly be a fun convertible that the wife many also drive on occassion. Obviously sport chrono would be nice to have but sometimes when a nice car at a good price comes along, it may not have it.
My 08 Cayman S (with 6-speed manual) came with Sport Chrono. I used the sport mode once or twice but it made the car too hard to drive smoothly. Might be ok for the track but that's not my bag.

I used the chrono to time my time spent in fast food drive through lines.

But you should try to drive an example of a car with it. While your wife may not ever use it, you might find it worth the effort to find a car with it.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Originally Posted by perfectlap
See this makes me wonder if cars are like yours, that aren't perpetually short shifted, get out all the build up, aren't also the healthiest engines one can buy second hand.

In other words the opposite of conventional wisdom which would have one looking at cars that lived below 4K RPM.

Personally, I think diligent early oil changes (3500 miles for me) and being very careful not to over rev the engine are likely more crucial. I don't know P-lap, what I do know is I love the car and hope it runs just like it does now for a good many years. As far as the chrono, I never use that, I think they should have illuminated it too, it looks broken at night as is.

Quick Reply: No Sport Chrono on 981S- deal breaker??