Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 is in for recall, got a 981 6-sp loaner: impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Orthojoe has it right. Coxster = Coupe-Boxster. That is simply what it is. I personally have been calling this model a "Coxster" since it came out and have years of posts on these forums where I've referred to them as such. Nothing new here.
If one wishes to combine the names, wouldn't "Coupster" be more appropriate as a mashed up Coupe/Roadster term, rather than Coxster?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
If one wishes to combine the names, wouldn't "Coupster" be more appropriate as a mashed up Coupe/Roadster term, rather than Coxster?
Then it wouldn't have been funny. Relax, man. No reason to get offended. Don't watch top gear if this gets you upset. All JC does is hate on the boxsters/caymans. He called the spyder "a car that only a complete idiot would buy". It's entertainment.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

You must have seen these?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Then it wouldn't have been funny. Relax, man. No reason to get offended. Don't watch top gear if this gets you upset. All JC does is hate on the boxsters/caymans. He called the spyder "a car that only a complete idiot would buy". It's entertainment.
I wasn't offended, and I enjoy Top Gear/JC as much as anyone. Unfortunately, I don't have cable service so I don't get a chance to catch the show.

Notwithstanding that, it's still my opinion that "Coxster" isn't funny. It's not a big deal, and that's just my sense of humor, which is a bit different than his, I guess.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You must have seen these?
Thanks for sending the clips...I hadn't seen either one. Reminds me that my next car purchase will be a difficult one as I like both the Cayman and the 911. Decisions, decisions!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I agree - I've heard the same. It was even told to me as a 'selling point' - you have more freedom with 981 shifter whereas 991 shifter you have to go through each gear (no 6th to 4th, for example).

Afshin, I believe your salesman may be wrong on this.
on the 7MT in the 991, you cannot go to 7th without going to 5th or 6th, but you can go from 7th down to any other gear.

Originally Posted by MarkG123
The auto start is terrible and I predict it will be removed shortly.
stop/start can be turned off using the button, or by activating Sport or Sport Plus
Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
you can go from 7th down to any other gear.
Ah, I did not know this, though it makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

VM, If one follows through history how Porsche developed cars, they would a) produce a coupe and b) then produce a cabriolet. Up until recently, (b) was always more expensive than (a). Only Porsche could reverse the development (Cayman) and charge more for (a)!

So I am just trying to get them back in line with history :-)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
stop/start can be turned off using the button, or by activating Sport or Sport Plus
SFO, I understand that feature, my concern is if I let someone else drive the car and they are not aware they will receive the same wake-up call I did, a stalled engine while trying to cross an intersection of on coming traffic. This auto restart is a dumb energy saving feature, like ethanol and the chevy volt. This feature also creates more air pollution and more engine wear.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Stop/start is not going away...

But as has been pointed out, there is a button to turn it off.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Stop/start is not going away...

But as has been pointed out, there is a button to turn it off.
I know what the stop/start system is, but I haven't a clue about the percentage increase in gas mileage we can attribute to it. Can you share what you've heard? Thanks.

Last edited by VGM911; 02-04-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

My understanding is stop/start systems decrease fuel consumption in the EU testing cycle; without the need for significant investment in alternative materials and drivetrains, it was quickly and widely adopted by European manufacturers over the past few years, as they have government mandated standards to meet just as US manufacturers do here.

However, and again this is my understanding, because stop/start systems do NOT decrease fuel consumption measurably in EPA testing, the systems are slowly being offered here on vehicles with ICEs more as a green marketing tool, and are easily (and permanently) defeated by one button push.

I have had Panamera and new 3-series loaners with stop/start, and personally don't mind it, as it doesn't make sense to sit there burning fuel when sitting for long periods of time. I have had Prius company cars in the past (hybrids have had stop/start all along), so it was not foreign to me. What I didn't like on both vehicles was the inconsistency of when they would turn off; sometimes quickly after stopping, and sometimes not.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

5th gear did a nice segment on the benefits of start/stop in the city. It does save gas.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MarkG123
SFO, I understand that feature, my concern is if I let someone else drive the car and they are not aware they will receive the same wake-up call I did, a stalled engine while trying to cross an intersection of on coming traffic. This auto restart is a dumb energy saving feature, like ethanol and the chevy volt. This feature also creates more air pollution and more engine wear.
I am not a fan of the stop-start. I just don't like the stuttering and its need in a Porsche, i.e. not a Toyota! However, I do not get your post. How does it create more air pollution? More engine wear? Uhh, no. Someone else commented about the starter. They have much beefier starters and your (general) concerns have already been accounted and engineered for.

If you're concerned about someone else driving your car and having a close call, maybe you should warn them before you give 'em the key? As for 'almost getting into an accident because the engine semi-stalled', I'm sorry... but it sounds like you pulled out onto a highway when you should not have.

If an accident-waiting-to-happen depended on a split-second stutter, you actually pulled out and probably cut someone off. I've driven 3 or 4 Porsches with stop-start (2 or more Panameras, one 981S). Trust me. You tried to gun it and ended up cutting someone off (which I hate, may I add). If there had been an accident, whose fault do you think it would've been (whether or not that's how an insurance sees it)?

Last edited by the_vetman; 02-05-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Oh, and the fuel savings are "up to" 12%. And I'd just like to reiterate that it's a feature that can be turned off.

Quick Reply: GT3 is in for recall, got a 981 6-sp loaner: impressions