Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having second thoughts on my 981 color selection.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 PM
il cattivo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info on colors Eduardo, thanks! Would you happen to have the Boxster MY13 PDF order guide?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by il cattivo
Great info on colors Eduardo, thanks! Would you happen to have the Boxster MY13 PDF order guide?
Sorry, I don't. I am just a one-trick pony today!

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS Ok, perhaps an additional small trick! I do have this little bit of extra info on 'Porsche Exclusive' options for the new 981 which I obtained courtesy of our friends at Teamspeed! Pretty valuable information for those of you planning to custom-order a 981. Frankly a lot more options than I had to work with when I configured my 'unique' '12 Aqua Blue/Carrera Red Spyder last year!

Stitching Z-Offering

Available stitching colors are

Black
Platinum Grey
Yachting Blue
Luxor Beige
Espresso
Pebble Grey
Carrera Red
Agate Grey
Guards Red
Lime Gold

Stitching of Seat in deviating thread
$710

Stitching of door pull handles in deviating thread
$390

Stitching of armrest in deviating thread
$310

Stitching of door center panel in deviating thread
$390

Stitching of door pull handles in deviating thread (individually selected)
$390

Stitching of armrest deviating thread (individually selected)
$310

Stitching of door center panel in deviating thread (individually selected)
$390

Stitching of dashboard in deviating color (without stitching of instrument cover)
$310

Stitching of instrument cover (dashboard) in deviating thread
$310

Stitching of door trim in deviating thread
$390

Stitching of dashboard in deviating thread (individually selected) -stitching of instrument cover not included-
$310

Stitching of dashboard instrument cover in deviating thread (individually selected)
$310

Stitching of door trim in deviating thread (individually selected)
$390

Interior Z-Offering

Available interior colors are

Black
Platinum Grey
Yachting Blue
Luxor Beige
Espresso
Pebble Grey
Carrera Red
Agate Grey

Standard leather Armrest in deviating color
$310

Standard leather side pads center console in deviating color
$310

Standard carpeting in deviating color
$550

Standard leather upper dashboard panel in deviating color
$470

Standard leather door center panel in deviating color
$470

Standard leather door trim with deviating color
$470

Standard leather steering wheel rim in deviating color
$160

Standard leather airbag module steering wheel in deviating color
$160

Seats Z-Offering

Standard leather seat inlays in deviating color
$550

Leather Seat inlays in color to sample
$940

Seat inlays standard Alcantara deviating color
$550
Old 06-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Yachting Blue, Sand Beige Interior and Yachting Blue Stitching would be what I would likely pick if I were ordering a 981.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find, Eduardo (typical!)

Question mark (?) for Gulf blue & orange on Panamera...
Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Nice find, Eduardo (typical!)

Question mark (?) for Gulf blue & orange on Panamera...
Yes, I know, on a Panamera no less!

One of my dealer contacts gave me this PTS list about two weeks ago but asked me not to post it in the forums in case PCNA didn't want it widely publicized. But last week a 6Speed forum member posted the list in that forum, so I felt I could comment on it then!

Regarding 'Gulf Blue' or 'Gulf Orange', I do not believe those feasibility studies are going anywhere - much less on a Panamera! I am surprised they don't tell potential customers 'don't bother' right off the mark. Gulf Oil is increasing more diligent in safeguarding what they believe to be a trade-mark color scheme! If you were at LeMans last year, as I was, you would understand what I am talking about. They are making a fortune on clothing with that color scheme and now even got the estate of Steve McQueen to approved his likeness in many of the items! Not to mention the various race teams being sponsored by Gulf that are currently bathed in those glorious 'Blue' and 'Orange' color schemes!

Here is the full text of what I wrote about this PTS list at 6speed recently:

"Series production folks worry about uniformity of colors on the various surfaces that paint is applied on their cars - steel, aluminum, plastic, carbon fiber, etc. How well do they adhere & cover? What base primer works best with it? What are the fade factors for each surface? It is not a theoretical issue for them - they worried about warranty claims from customers years down the road and to keep up the standards expected of a well painted luxury car that bears the Porsche badge.

There is also some political play in the world of PTS. Certain colors that were introduced in limited production models (e.g. Pure Blue in the recent Speedster or the 'Sport Classic Grey') are not permitted to be ordered via PTS. Popular old colors like 'Gulf Blue' and 'Gulf Orange', vintage production colors that remained popular until recently, are now in jeopardy because Gulf Oil has become very proprietary about its 'colors'. The last 'Gulf Blue' factory painted production car, to my knowledge, was in a PTS Carrera GT. And that was over 5 years ago! I asked for it in a MY2010 gt3 a few years back and it was denied. Regardless of the 'feasibility' study listed in the above report for those 'Gulf' colors, I doubt they will be approved. So you also have to contend with all of these political aspects in the PTS process.

Finally, we know there are paint issues that appear in the course of production which eventually pushes a color into oblivion. 'RS Orange' is case in point. It was a popular & exclusive gt3 RS color in MY2007. But in MY2008, Porsche allowed any other 911 to be ordered in this color. It also used 'RS Orange' for its limited edition Boxsters and Caymans in MY2008. It was last used in PTS MY2011, before it was disallowed sometime last year (early spring of 2011). In its place, PAG recommends a new (somewhat similar) color 'Pastell Orange'. 'Signal Yellow', an old vintage early 911 color, was allowed to be ordered on one gt3 RS that went to England. Something happened (probably warranty issues) and PAG refused to do that color again via PTS. On the other hand, 'RS Green', introduced in the MY2007 gt3 RS, is still listed as doable PTS color to this day. That is not 'Signal Green', my all time favorite, but a color of its own, specially designed for that model and since somewhat popular via PTS in other models.

Still, PAG may play hard ball on any PTS request. They may ask for a color sample on a metal surface to be sent to them at Zuffenhausen for feasibility studies. This will most certainly apply to a color not listed in the Exterior Paint to Sample attached by the OP. So even though my '07 997S was painted by the factory in 2007 in 'Signal Green' via PTS, I don't see it listed in the OP's list. I have their 'colour code' from the inside gas cap, but that might not be enough. So they may ask me to send them a sample of that color before they commit. Perhaps it is also a liability thing. If they have a sample from you and match it, you can't latter claim that the color is not the right one you ordered.

PTS is a game for those with patience. But for willing to put up with the bureaucracy of the Porsche ordering process, the results will be so unique as to be worth the effort!"

So Steve, I am pretty certain that 'Gulf Blue' is a no-no! There is a possibility that 'Gulf Orange' might be still possible, perhaps. It might slip through the cracks at PAG. I know a dealer in Texas that ordered that exact color on a 997 around MY2007/2008 and they were successful in getting it (see attached photo). To my knowledge, this was the last 'Gulf Orange' ever produced for the US market! This hue was originally a 'special color' on early 911's starting circa MY1972. It is absolutely beautiful - much more vibrant than the no longer available 'RS Orange' or the new 'Pastell Orange'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default your spec

I would do one of two things...

option 1 keep original plan except do deviating carpet in black

option 2 switch interior and top to espresso ... I had a similar combo on a special edition Boxster a fews back it was GT Silver with a brown interior very nice ...
Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts

Great list Eduardo. Is this list from Porsche or just us fans that complied it? So all the colors that have been checked on that particular model signify that car being confirmed ordered in that color? If so, I want to see the
riviera and Mexico blue Panamera's!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mile2424
Great list Eduardo. Is this list from Porsche or just us fans that complied it? So all the colors that have been checked on that particular model signify that car being confirmed ordered in that color? If so, I want to see the riviera and Mexico blue Panamera's!
A) List was given to US dealers by Joe West of PCNA. It came from PAG in Zuffenhausen.

B) Apparently all colors with green check mark are ready to go for that particular model. I find interesting that 'Atlas Grey Metallic' is not compatible with the 991 or 891...but Ok for the Panamera! Hard to believe the surfaces of one (the Panamera) are that different from the other two!

C) If you want to see that shocking 'Mexico Blue' Panamera, it is just a quick flight to the United Arab Emirates! And while there, please you check out the abandoned Enzo Ferrari some guy left at a police impound because he couldn't be bothered to collect it!
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/fer...bai-2011-09-29
Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
How bout keeping it just like it is, but with a black top?
I like this option, and it would be my choice. Why? Well, in part, because you need to consider how the top will age with time and use. The inevitable scuff marks, etc. are less visible on a black top. I've had Boxsters with black, light gray, and blue tops, by the way.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, I know, on a Panamera no less!

One of my dealer contacts gave me this PTS list about two weeks ago but asked me not to post it in the forums in case PCNA didn't want it widely publicized. But last week a 6Speed forum member posted the list in that forum, so I felt I could comment on it then!

Regarding 'Gulf Blue' or 'Gulf Orange', I do not believe those feasibility studies are going anywhere - much less on a Panamera! I am surprised they don't tell potential customers 'don't bother' right off the mark. Gulf Oil is increasing more diligent in safeguarding what they believe to be a trade-mark color scheme! If you were at LeMans last year, as I was, you would understand what I am talking about. They are making a fortune on clothing with that color scheme and now even got the estate of Steve McQueen to approved his likeness in many of the items! Not to mention the various race teams being sponsored by Gulf that are currently bathed in those glorious 'Blue' and 'Orange' color schemes!

Here is the full text of what I wrote about this PTS list at 6speed recently:

"Series production folks worry about uniformity of colors on the various surfaces that paint is applied on their cars - steel, aluminum, plastic, carbon fiber, etc. How well do they adhere & cover? What base primer works best with it? What are the fade factors for each surface? It is not a theoretical issue for them - they worried about warranty claims from customers years down the road and to keep up the standards expected of a well painted luxury car that bears the Porsche badge.

There is also some political play in the world of PTS. Certain colors that were introduced in limited production models (e.g. Pure Blue in the recent Speedster or the 'Sport Classic Grey') are not permitted to be ordered via PTS. Popular old colors like 'Gulf Blue' and 'Gulf Orange', vintage production colors that remained popular until recently, are now in jeopardy because Gulf Oil has become very proprietary about its 'colors'. The last 'Gulf Blue' factory painted production car, to my knowledge, was in a PTS Carrera GT. And that was over 5 years ago! I asked for it in a MY2010 gt3 a few years back and it was denied. Regardless of the 'feasibility' study listed in the above report for those 'Gulf' colors, I doubt they will be approved. So you also have to contend with all of these political aspects in the PTS process.

Finally, we know there are paint issues that appear in the course of production which eventually pushes a color into oblivion. 'RS Orange' is case in point. It was a popular & exclusive gt3 RS color in MY2007. But in MY2008, Porsche allowed any other 911 to be ordered in this color. It also used 'RS Orange' for its limited edition Boxsters and Caymans in MY2008. It was last used in PTS MY2011, before it was disallowed sometime last year (early spring of 2011). In its place, PAG recommends a new (somewhat similar) color 'Pastell Orange'. 'Signal Yellow', an old vintage early 911 color, was allowed to be ordered on one gt3 RS that went to England. Something happened (probably warranty issues) and PAG refused to do that color again via PTS. On the other hand, 'RS Green', introduced in the MY2007 gt3 RS, is still listed as doable PTS color to this day. That is not 'Signal Green', my all time favorite, but a color of its own, specially designed for that model and since somewhat popular via PTS in other models.

Still, PAG may play hard ball on any PTS request. They may ask for a color sample on a metal surface to be sent to them at Zuffenhausen for feasibility studies. This will most certainly apply to a color not listed in the Exterior Paint to Sample attached by the OP. So even though my '07 997S was painted by the factory in 2007 in 'Signal Green' via PTS, I don't see it listed in the OP's list. I have their 'colour code' from the inside gas cap, but that might not be enough. So they may ask me to send them a sample of that color before they commit. Perhaps it is also a liability thing. If they have a sample from you and match it, you can't latter claim that the color is not the right one you ordered.

PTS is a game for those with patience. But for willing to put up with the bureaucracy of the Porsche ordering process, the results will be so unique as to be worth the effort!"

So Steve, I am pretty certain that 'Gulf Blue' is a no-no! There is a possibility that 'Gulf Orange' might be still possible, perhaps. It might slip through the cracks at PAG. I know a dealer in Texas that ordered that exact color on a 997 around MY2007/2008 and they were successful in getting it (see attached photo). To my knowledge, this was the last 'Gulf Orange' ever produced for the US market! This hue was originally a 'special color' on early 911's starting circa MY1972. It is absolutely beautiful - much more vibrant than the no longer available 'RS Orange' or the new 'Pastell Orange'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Wow! That's a lot of Gulf orange. I don't think it's the same without the Gulf blue.

McKenna has a customer that has always ordered his cars in Gulf blue (w/ and w/o Gulf orange accents). I wonder what he's doing now? That seems like a lot of cars Porsche would be giving up. Why not just charge a small royalty fee to use it? People....
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your original combination is the best Porsche combination available - bar none!! Stick with it!!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts

The closest color I have seen ordered to Gulf Blue is the old 356 color Meissan Blue. It is much lighter than Gulf or a pale blue, but still a color from the light blue family

Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mile2424
The closest color I have seen ordered to Gulf Blue is the old 356 color Meissan Blue. It is much lighter than Gulf or a pale blue, but still a color from the light blue family
'Meissen Blue' is an interesting color. Dates from MY1957 to 1959 on the 356A. Sometimes referred by the old timers as 'Robin Egg Blue'. Quite popular in its day, it had a resurgence in the 1990's in 356 restoration circles (as you know Aaron). It is being done less today in the 356 world.

http://www.356-911.com/shop/carforsa...rtibleD500.jpg

I am also surprised the PTS list includes a color they called 'Etna Blue'. It is in fact correctly spelled 'Aetna Blue' and it was a MY1960/1961 356B color! This hue has apparently become popular in newer 911's - I saw a .2 997 in this color at a Laguna Seca 'Porsche Corral' last year and PAG has it again on its 'approved' list of colors!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1256538740.jpg

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

1st - I love all of the blues. Eduardo you are a wealth of knowledge.

2nd- If I was going with that color combo I would do black carpets and a upper black dash. I love silver with red, but I don't like all of the red dash.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:43 AM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a Spyder with the Carrera Red interior. While color is ALWAYS a personal choice, I have to say that after 18 months, I love the red interior and think it really makes the car (in terms of color). Saw a 981 over the weekend - Black with the red interior and I thought it looked great. My advice is to stick with the original plan - the only possible deviation would be a black top - other wise I think you've chosen wisely.

Quick Reply: Having second thoughts on my 981 color selection.