Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...Anyone order a 2013-981 yet ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

Ordered mine for early September build and October delivery:
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 PM
JackRGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my wife a new Boxster. Mahogany Metallic with light tan hides and a brown top, stick, 19" S wheels,
SportDesign steering wheel, Infotainment Package w/BOSE(R) , and Premium Package.

In country waiting for delivery to dealer. We saw the color combination on a Panamera. Hope it looks just as good on a Boxster.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:33 PM
cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm trying to understand the time lapse between the date i ordered my 981 (first Porsche in the family!) and the date it's delivered. after the order date, there was about a three week window for changes to the order, after which the car is "frozen" for production. the car is not expected for nearly 2 more months. since i remember hearing that it takes about 75 labor hours to build a benz (and 30 for a camry), i can't imagine it taking more than a few days for my car to transit the production line (and perhaps 2 weeks from factory to dealer, by sailboat.) since nothing on the car is non-standard, why is the window for alterations set so far ahead of production?

(none of this is a question about allocations, and backlog orders. I understand that my order has entered a queue in Zuffenhausen, and i will have to wait my turn for production; but why freeze the specs so far in advance?)

Last edited by cabriolet; 07-28-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 PM
shine
Advanced

Originally Posted by Domer911
Ordered mine for early September build and October delivery:
Nice build. I like the two tone interior. Have you driven a car with the Power Steering Plus? I would be sure to drive one before you order it. My dealer was pushing it on me. They did not have a 981 with it so I drove a 991 with and without it. I much preferred the car without it. I can't imagine anyone liking it with a manual.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, make sure you drive a car with Power Steering Plus first. Widely regarded (by magazine reviews) as an option you can/should do without.

BTW, I LOVE Aqua Blue Metallic on 987's. I'm sure 981 will be the same way (I hope anyway).
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yee haa, mine is on this: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shi...mmsi=354504000
Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shine
Nice build. I like the two tone interior. Have you driven a car with the Power Steering Plus? I would be sure to drive one before you order it. My dealer was pushing it on me. They did not have a 981 with it so I drove a 991 with and without it. I much preferred the car without it. I can't imagine anyone liking it with a manual.
I ordered it that way in deference to my wife, who we hope will drive it occasionally. I understood that you could turn the feature off, am I wrong about that?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 PM
shine
Advanced

Originally Posted by Domer911
I ordered it that way in deference to my wife, who we hope will drive it occasionally. I understood that you could turn the feature off, am I wrong about that?
The power steering plus increases the assist at lower speeds. I felt it was over assisted at low speeds and didn't like the feel of the assist increasing as I slowed to turn. I do not think it can be turned off.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

I wish I was still in Germany and I'd order another easy. Drove one while visiting family back in April, nothing beats the roads they were designed to be thrashed on! Owning a P-car in OK is almost useless unless it's just for poking around straight country roads...joy.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shine
The power steering plus increases the assist at lower speeds. I felt it was over assisted at low speeds and didn't like the feel of the assist increasing as I slowed to turn. I do not think it can be turned off.
You are right. Guess I may have to drop the steering, add the ventilated seats. Only comes on at very low speeds, though.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cabriolet
i'm trying to understand the time lapse between the date i ordered my 981 (first Porsche in the family!) and the date it's delivered. after the order date, there was about a three week window for changes to the order, after which the car is "frozen" for production. the car is not expected for nearly 2 more months. since i remember hearing that it takes about 75 labor hours to build a benz (and 30 for a camry), i can't imagine it taking more than a few days for my car to transit the production line (and perhaps 2 weeks from factory to dealer, by sailboat.) since nothing on the car is non-standard, why is the window for alterations set so far ahead of production?

(none of this is a question about allocations, and backlog orders. I understand that my order has entered a queue in Zuffenhausen, and i will have to wait my turn for production; but why freeze the specs so far in advance?)
To answer your specific question, Cabriolet. Besides the approx. month it takes from end of production in Germany to arrival at your dealership in the United States, the build of a Porsche today at Zuffenhausen is a very complex production process! It involves literally hundreds of outside suppliers making parts & fully assembled components for your 981 at their own separate facilities (some outside Germany) and delivering them 'just in time' for your specific built as it rolls along the assembly line. That is why the window for changes is frozen so far ahead of your car's actual production date. The logistics of coordinating all of the individual parts needed for each particular vehicle from so many suppliers & locations and to arrive at the factory only 'as needed' is simply daunting!

This was not always the case. When I first toured the Porsche factory in 1981, most of the major components were already warehoused at Zuffenhausen ahead of production or built/assembled in-house during the process. Over the years, inefficiencies were detected and the Board asked a team of ex-Toyota production consultants to study the build practices at Porsche. The result was a massive overhaul that led to the 'just in time' concept and the massive use of outside contractors to assist in the production process using the latest 'thinking' in the world of efficient automobile assembly line technologies!

So even the most standard cookie cutter spec'ed 981 is impacted by the longer 'lead' times due to out-sourcing. But I will touch on how all of this 'just in time' subcontracting FURTHER impacts 'customization' of your Porsche in a thread I am currently doing in this forum entitled 'Custom Ordering a 981, Porsche Exclusive and You!'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 08-04-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Troy, where does your ship dock? Texas? btw, that is one ugly ship!!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Better pic:

Voyage Related Info (Last Received)
Draught: 8.3 m
Destination: HOUSTON USA
ETA: 2012-08-04 01:00
Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Troy, will this affect your ETA?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphi...5/AL0512W5.gif
Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope, she's in the US of A! Waiting for delivery ETA. Ugh...

Quick Reply: So...Anyone order a 2013-981 yet ??