Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...Anyone order a 2013-981 yet ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012 | 02:04 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

I just added PASM and PTV to my order. Figured I might regret that I didn't later and they aren't something easily addable later after the fact.
Old 06-17-2012 | 08:15 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Originally Posted by Z356
Cayman: Welcome back! Just a thought. GT Silver is $2580 option. PTS is $5500. The $ difference is not great between those two - except that PTS will be many times more desirable in the end & better for resale. Just give it some thought. You still have time to change your order. By the way, your old Riviera Spyder has had three additional owners besides you - and currently resides in Pennsylvania! That might be a record for a MY2012 Porsche!

If you decide to stick with what you have ordered, consider the possibility of adding some 'black' inside to tone-down the lovely 'Carrera Red'. I did it with deviating carpet in 'black' and alcantara door panels & seat inlays. My two cents, for what it's worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
As a general rule you get no where near what you pay for expensive options. If you want a special paint because you like it, and can afford it, great, but you will not get extra for it when you sell.
Old 06-18-2012 | 12:44 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
As a general rule you get no where near what you pay for expensive options. If you want a special paint because you like it, and can afford it, great, but you will not get extra for it when you sell.
Jim, you are missing out on the story behind Cayman's unique 'Riviera Blue' PTS Spyder! Frankly, it was a pretty basic spec'ced car that he bought out of inventory at Walter's in Riverside, California (he didn't custom-ordered it from factory). However, the PTS color made it unique (the only 'Riviera Blue' Spyder in US, one of three USA PTS Spyders in MY2012). Cayman sold it a few months later (at a token loss from his purchase amount). This car has since sold twice - so it's now on its fourth owner! Its PTS color is the major (perhaps only?) factor in its desirability. In retrospect, in the case of this 'Rivera Blue' Spyder, PTS could have been a money making option for the original owner if he would have taken his time in marketing 'far & wide', instead of selling it on short notice by only posting it for a few days at the Rennlist classifieds (e.g. never posted for sale on this forum or any other)!

I strongly believe that if you order the right PTS color on the right Porsche, you will have a very desirable/rare vehicle that will attract a premium from the right buyer. Same for even a non-PTS car with the right 'Porsche Exclusive' options in attractive color combinations. I am talking here from experience...not theory!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 06-18-2012 | 09:34 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree the right PTS on the right limited production Porsche can result in increased value.

Having said that I wanted PTS on my Spyder because I wanted a different color than their standard offer. I didn't care about resale and honestly I probably would have picked a color that wouldn't have added value.
Old 06-18-2012 | 01:38 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
+1

Generally, a premium price for paint such as GT Silver, or PTS isn't going to increase the value of a car. .

As for the Spyder and PTS, it might be a more important option on that car because so few colors were offered, and it seems like a huge majority of the cars are white.

Its possible to get a premium for the right PTS color, but I think its probably very difficult to get enough of a premium to recover the initial cost of PTS. The real question would be how much of a premium can one really obtain for a PTS car? If 2 cars have all the same options, the same mileage and condition, but one has PTS, the PTS car has to get at least $5,500 over the non PTS car or technically the PTS car is not holding its value as well as the non PTS car (which carried a lower MSRP).

Color is a very subjective thing. If someone loves a color and they want to get PTS then they should go for it. But they shouldn't do it thinking they will definitely get a premium when they go to sell/trade it years from now.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 06-21-2012 | 12:06 AM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dino944
+1

Generally, a premium price for paint such as GT Silver, or PTS isn't going to increase the value of a car. .

As for the Spyder and PTS, it might be a more important option on that car because so few colors were offered, and it seems like a huge majority of the cars are white.

Its possible to get a premium for the right PTS color, but I think its probably very difficult to get enough of a premium to recover the initial cost of PTS. The real question would be how much of a premium can one really obtain for a PTS car? If 2 cars have all the same options, the same mileage and condition, but one has PTS, the PTS car has to get at least $5,500 over the non PTS car or technically the PTS car is not holding its value as well as the non PTS car (which carried a lower MSRP).

Color is a very subjective thing. If someone loves a color and they want to get PTS then they should go for it. But they shouldn't do it thinking they will definitely get a premium when they go to sell/trade it years from now.

Best regards,
Dino
Yes, but you have to factor in depreciation of the paint price as well If the car lost 20% he only needs to regain about $4,000... not likely, at least not for many years. Given two identical cars, I would expect to pay a "couple" thousand more for an amazing color that nobody has.
Old 06-21-2012 | 12:34 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Let me just state when the dealer I purchased from found out I was selling my Riviera Spyder, they offered to buy it back at full MSRP! Keep in mind it was 1 of 4 PTS only offered stateside for the entire production of the Spyder. Now to do the same with a normal production boxster would be a different story.
Old 06-21-2012 | 09:41 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dealer just invited me to a launch party occurring next Tuesday. Can't wait to see this car in the metal!
Old 06-21-2012 | 09:44 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cparkin
glad to see everyone so excited about the car... here are a group of pictures I took when driving in the canary islands a few months ago!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...boxsterlaunch/
This is a great post!

It allows us to see the various color combinations in context of the other colors.

Great stuff!

Thanks
Old 06-21-2012 | 09:49 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TroyN
Dealer just invited me to a launch party occurring next Tuesday. Can't wait to see this car in the metal!
Same here! Ours is this Saturday morning. I'll take a bunch of pics. Can't wait to finally see this car in person!
Old 06-21-2012 | 12:49 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Yes, but you have to factor in depreciation of the paint price as well If the car lost 20% he only needs to regain about $4,000... not likely, at least not for many years. Given two identical cars, I would expect to pay a "couple" thousand more for an amazing color that nobody has.
I've yet to see a PTS colored car that I'd pay a premium for, but then again color is very subjective.

Originally Posted by Cayman
Let me just state when the dealer I purchased from found out I was selling my Riviera Spyder, they offered to buy it back at full MSRP! Keep in mind it was 1 of 4 PTS only offered stateside for the entire production of the Spyder. Now to do the same with a normal production boxster would be a different story.
All Spyders are holding their values well. I think the price you got was really because it was a low mileage Spyder. Being 1 of 4 PTS cars in the States does make it interesting for some people, and that the dealer offered you MSRP for it, thats fantastic!!!

With so few PTS cars available on the Spyder I wonder what it will be in 20 years. Will people pay more for one than a Spyder in a standard color or will it be the same price as Spyders in standard colors with similar condition and mileage. I've seen PTS 930s and other Pcars of the past and their prices are generally driven by condition and mileage.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 07-13-2012 | 12:06 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxjim
My order:

Boxster S 981 330 Price

BASE Boxster S 60,900.00

D2 Aqua Blue Metallic 710.00

2V Convertible Top in Blue 0.00

NG Carrera Red natural leathr int 3,535.00

CAC Side air intakes painted 675.00

250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) 3,200.00

345 Steering wheel heating 270.00

XLF Sports exhaust system 2,825.00

636 ParkAssist (front and rear) 860.00

998 Leather interior in natural le 0.00

603 Bi-Xenon(TM) headlights with P 0.00

475 PASM 1,790.00

XSX Seat belts in Guards Red 340.00

P07 Adaptive sports seats Plus, el 0.00

323 Adaptive Sport seats Plus (lef 0.00

324 Adaptive Sport seats Plus (rig 0.00

P91 Infotainment Package w/BOSE(R) 3,860.00

665 PCM 3 0.00

672 Extend Navigation Mod-PCM 3.0 0.00

680 BOSE(R) Surround Sound System 0.00

690 SiriusXM(R) Satellite Radio Re 0.00

P96 Prem Pkg Adaptive Sport Seats 5,265.00

268 Rain Sensor 0.00

276 Automatically dimming mirrors 0.00

342 Seat heating 0.00

551 Wind deflector 0.00

573 2-zone automatic air condition 0.00

220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) 1,320.00
Hey Jim,

Do you happen to have photos of that Aqua Blue (which looks great on the website, but I would love to see it "live" first).

P.S. Congrats on the new car
Old 07-13-2012 | 10:39 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Enigma, here is my old color and NEW color! BTW, got notice Tuesday of my new VIN. Now the waiting begins and I will sell my old one.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2012 | 12:57 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Jim. This is very helpful. Last thing, the top on this one is black or dark blue?
Old 07-14-2012 | 11:22 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

This one is black, new one coming is in blue.

Quick Reply: So...Anyone order a 2013-981 yet ??