Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...Anyone order a 2013-981 yet ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Ryan Perrella
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the OP Matt,

The 997 in your avatar is SICK!

Tell me you have more pictures of your car posted somewhere online? I live the ducktail!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:01 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

My apologies for the delayed response. I'm currently in Korea for work.
Originally Posted by Z356
Cayman: Welcome back! Just a thought. GT Silver is $2580 option. PTS is $5500. The $ difference is not great between those two - except that PTS will be many times more desirable in the end & better for resale. Just give it some thought. You still have time to change your order. By the way, your old Riviera Spyder has had three additional owners besides you - and currently resides in Pennsylvania! That might be a record for a MY2012 Porsche!

If you decide to stick with what you have ordered, consider the possibility of adding some 'black' inside to tone-down the lovely 'Carrera Red'. I did it with deviating carpet in 'black' and alcantara door panels & seat inlays. My two cents, for what it's worth!
Hi Eduardo,
Thanks for the welcome back. I appreciate the suggestion around PTS and other interior bits. Honestly I gave it a ton of thought. After my last ordeal with PTS and Porsche, I'm staying far away as possible. I want this to be a good experience this go around. As for the adding black to break up all the red... I was debating adding black carpet, but since it runs up behind the rear seats and is quite visible I decided against it. I am a believer in keeping it visually simple. Currently my order has 4 colors (GT Silver Exterior, Carrera Red Interior, Silver Interior Trim, Minor Black Plastic bits). Of the 4 colors used it is dominated by the GT Silver and Carrera Red and to introduce the black it would create tension with the Carrera red. Please keep in mind this is my personal opinion and I know many will disagree and I respect that. This is my car and based off the press shots, live shots and the 987 RS 60 Spyder I feel this is the right choice for me.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'd love to see GT silver next to platinum silver to see what the actual differences are. I feel like GT silver is some magical color that nobody has ever seen or described.

BTW, cayman, your 981 build looks like a winner. I hope you get to actually enjoy the car this time!
Thanks Joe!

I was wondering how long it was going to take until someone brought up the elephant in the room. LOL.

I've come to terms that automotive ADHD is very common. What I still can't wrap my hands around is how one can honestly say that they have enjoyed a car when they only put a few hundred miles on it, talk about the car like it's the second coming, and then dump it for something else. I haven no beef with cayman, and he should do whatever he wants to do. It's all just very intriguing.
Yes, my Riviera Blue Spyder had a just over a thousand miles, but my original Carrara White Spyder had plenty more! Yes, I think I have automotive ADHD. Longest I have ever kept a ride is for two years. I'm quite fortunate to be able to support my bad habit. I love and enjoy automotive design and with my work I am constantly in check with the latest and greatest.

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I thought about GT silver when I ordered my Spyder. In the end I went with Platinum silver and am happy with it. . GT silver is one of my favorites, but I couldnt justify the price. Like Eduardo said, it is almost the price of PTS. That week back when PTS opened up for the Spyder, mine was just ordered, and I thought about PTS Polar silver. But it wouldnt go well with Carrera Red. I've always thought the press photos of the 981 is Plat silver.

Carrera Red with GT silver
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...981+Test+Drive
Clinton, Thanks for the link! I love the GT silver. Your thinking will be the common for many potential buyers and is very logical... Why buy GT Silver when I can have Platinum at a third of the cost? I'm hoping this thinking will make GT Silver quite rare (could be wrong though). Time will tell.

I wonder if back in March of 2011, when PCNA opened that one week window on PTS for the Spyder, they would have allowed you to order 'GT Silver'. Ever since that color was introduced in the GT Carrera a while back PAG has been very protective of that color. Porsche allowed it to be use on some special models (e.g. gt2 RS/gt3s) but only seems to offer it to all customers beginning with the new 991 & 981.

Looking back, the Spyder's PTS process in March of 2011 was a joke. In the end only one customer (jsf101) got his PTS Spyder (in Speed Yellow). The other two PTS Spyders went to two well connected dealers (one Azure & the other Riviera). Cayman was jerked around for nearly two weeks. It went something like this: "Sorry, we can't do Audi R8 'Suzuka Grey' but we can do Porsche 356 'Dolphin Grey'; Sorry, we can't; Choose something else; sorry too late, you missed the deadline!". And Dave 1 failed to get his 'Minerva Blue' Spyder approved! In all, it was a royal mess which left many with a bitter taste in their mouths. So I am very sympathetic to Donavan's trials & tribulations and I hope he finally gets a Porsche customized to his own personal taste!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Bingo... you hit the nail right on the head!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Perrella
to the OP Matt,

The 997 in your avatar is SICK!

Tell me you have more pictures of your car posted somewhere online? I live the ducktail!
Thank you

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...ucktail-p.html
Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 PM
balakris
Instructor

LOL!!!
Rennlist needs a "Classics" sub-forum for these type of threads.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Llarry
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My spec:
Boxster S in Aqua Blue metallic with blue top, Beige leather.
Premium package
Power steering plus
Light design package
SportDesign wheel
Bose & SiriusXM
Headlight cleaning covers painted
Roll bars painted
Console trim in leather
Deviating (Yachting Blue) carpet

Still awaiting feedback on production date; prediction was for August delivery

So now I see that my Rennlist join date is February 2004. I guess it's about damn time I got a car, huh?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LMC
My spec:
Boxster S in Aqua Blue metallic with blue top, Beige leather.
Premium package
Power steering plus
Light design package
SportDesign wheel
Bose & SiriusXM
Headlight cleaning covers painted
Roll bars painted
Console trim in leather
Deviating (Yachting Blue) carpet

Still awaiting feedback on production date; prediction was for August delivery

So now I see that my Rennlist join date is February 2004. I guess it's about damn time I got a car, huh?
Congrats... Nice to see a fellow Oregonian on here. We'll have to meet up for a drive sometime when I get my 981S. Would love to see your blue beauty!
Which dealer are you going through? Sunset or Carrera?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 AM
shixon
Intermediate

Ordered ours back in February. It finished production on 6/5 and was loaded on a boat on 6/7. Hopefully it will be at the dealer and ready for us on the 30th.

2013 Boxster S

Agate Grey Metallic
20" Carrera Classic wheel
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche crest
Convertible top in black
Sport seats, electrical (14-way) with memory package
Leather interior package in natural leather Carrera Red
Infotainment package with BOSE
Premium package
Sports tailpipe
Porsche crest embossed on headrests
PDK transmission
PDK gear selector in aluminum
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
Standard carpeting deviating color - black
Rain sensor
Automatically dimming mirrors
Seat heating
Steering wheel heating
Porsche carbon ceramic brakes (PCCB)
Porsche active suspension management (PASM)
Seat ventilation
Supplemental safety roll bar exterior color
Wind deflector
2-zone automatic air conditioning
Bi-Xenon headlamps with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Light design package
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Sport Chrono package
Sport Chrono clock dial in racing yellow
Power steering plus
Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
Extended navigation module
Voice control
SiriusXM satellite radio
Electric folding exterior mirrors
Multi-function steering wheel
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Llarry
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cayman
Which dealer are you going through? Sunset or Carrera?
Sunset.

And yesterday, after some discussion and pondering, added several painted exterior options: roll bars, side inlets and mirror lowers.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LMC
Sunset.

And yesterday, after some discussion and pondering, added several painted exterior options: roll bars, side inlets and mirror lowers.
Cool.
That's where I'm purchasing to. Who you going through? Gregg Rennord is assisting me. Super great guy. He was outstanding when I purchased my Spyder through him.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:08 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

glad to see everyone so excited about the car... here are a group of pictures I took when driving in the canary islands a few months ago!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...boxsterlaunch/
Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I wanted to ensure PSE availability, but mine is set for late August / Early Sept. build..Will know more in July. Nice build shixon! Here is mine..

2013 Boxster S
Guards Red
Convertible Top in Black
Leather interior in Luxor Beige
Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System
Premium Package
Rear apron painted
Side air intakes painted
Supplemental safety roll-bar painted in Aluminum look
Electrically folding exterior mirrors
Wing mirror (lower part) painted
Bi-Xenon(TM) headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Sports exhaust system
Sport Chrono Package i.c.w. PCM
Power Steering Plus
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20-inch Carrera S wheel
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
Seat ventilation
Light design package
Sports seats, electrical (14-way) with memory package
SportDesign steering wheel
PDK gear selector in Aluminum
Old 06-09-2012, 02:36 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cparkin
glad to see everyone so excited about the car... here are a group of pictures I took when driving in the canary islands a few months ago!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...boxsterlaunch/
Nice junket!

Thanks for the pics. Do you happen to know the color of the car in your Pic 17?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Llarry
Advanced

I'm going through Gregg as well. I've only a few contacts to judge him by, but agree he is great guy and great to work with.

Originally Posted by Cayman
That's where I'm purchasing to. Who you going through? Gregg Rennord is assisting me. Super great guy. He was outstanding when I purchased my Spyder through him.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:03 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Steve,

looks like Anthracite Brown Metallic, but could be Agate Grey

cheers,
Steve

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Nice junket!

Thanks for the pics. Do you happen to know the color of the car in your Pic 17?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd love to see GT silver next to platinum silver to see what the actual differences are. I feel like GT silver is some magical color that nobody has ever seen or described.
Below are 2 photos of my GT Silver RS60. Unfortnately, my car isn't close enough to the 964 to see how different it is in color to some other silvers. That's Len's Polar Silver 964. Polar Silver has some blue in it, GT Silver has some hint of taupe/beige, maybe some flecks of brown. In cloudy weather it has kind a a smokey hue.

Ever since that color was introduced in the GT Carrera a while back PAG has been very protective of that color. Porsche allowed it to be use on some special models (e.g. gt2 RS/gt3s) but only seems to offer it to all customers beginning with the new 991 & 981.
GT Silver was also the color used on all Boxster RS60s. In addition, it was a premium or special color available on all 987.2 Boxsters and Caymans, except on the 987.2 Spyder (where maybe for a few days it would have been available as PTS). I think most people and dealers didn't order it on 987.2 because the cost was something like $3,300 and many buyers would rather have $3,300 in tangible options rather than a special color.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Dino has GT Silver on his RS60 and it is a beautiful shade of silver. It has a bit more sparkle (brighter) than a standard silver but at the same time it has some darker flakes that give it a deep look. If I was ordering a silver, this or meteor grey would be it. Porsche offered the RS60 with Red or Black Interiors only, and both look great with the Silver.

Getting back on topic, I can't wait to see the cars you guys have on order. They will be stunning!
Thanks Afshin for the kind words. Like you I look forward to seeing what these cars look like in person.

Best regards,
Dino

Quick Reply: So...Anyone order a 2013-981 yet ??