Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 11:49 PM
Old Phart
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Track Insurance

Just curious. How many people that track their cars actually get the insurance? I've tracked an Aston DB9, Audi R8, BMW Z4 and never gotten it. Went off track a few times but never any damage. Getting ready to take the 981 to Laguna Seca and not planning on purchasing. Even if you were to get it would it cover things like a blown engine? I've got a rainy day fund that would cover cosmetic (bumper, fender, windshield) damage.
Old 07-02-2024, 06:25 AM
davecramer
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

None that I know of cover a blown engine.
I have written one car off at the track. I blew the engine and the resulting connection with the wall totaled the car.
**** happens fast ...
The following users liked this post:
RobC4sX51 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 09:27 AM
dps214
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I do every time, though "every time" is usually only 1-3 events per year. I think frequency of events is a big factor in what the right choice is. At my event frequency the payback period on the insurance cost is several decades so it makes the most sense (to me) to just get insurance. But if you're doing like 20+ events per year then the payback period is only a few years and it probably makes more sense to just "self insure" by putting the money you would have spent on insurance into a repairs fund.
Old 07-02-2024, 09:50 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 668 Posts

There are annual policies that cover unlimited numbers of track days. I’ve done it when my season is in excess of 9 events (which is breakeven for me). The deductible also goes down to 5% rather than the customary 10% or 15%. If my season has fewer than 9 events, I’ll buy track insurance either for a single event, or preferably buy in multiples which brings a discount of usually 5-10% depending on whether buying 3, 6, or more.

I track insure every time because I don’t want the financial burden of worst-case-scenario. I find I am able to enjoy track days more with insurance. It’s peace-of-mind and somewhat “freeing”. But there are plenty of people who don’’t ever insure.

A friend who bought my previous GT4 buys insurance, and only tracks a few times each year. He took a curb and didn’t see the extremely harsh transition. It ruptured the shock tower. He had insurance and of course had to pay the 10% deductible, but the insurance covered the remaining $25,000 in repairs. He was very glad he had insurance.

There are threads discussing the insurance topic here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...sive-cars.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...s-typical.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...selective.html

Last edited by needmoregarage; 07-02-2024 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:34 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

I did not know track insurance would repair a ruptured shock tower. In my mind that's a mechanical. For me track insurance is "write off" insurance so I take the 15% deductible. Its a risk tolerance issue. I've seen too many accidents from people driving through fluids.
The following users liked this post:
FINZ (07-03-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 12:12 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I track my 992 GT3. I never get insurance. It's a risk that I am willing to accept. It's paid for and if I lose it, oh well.

I actually don't even carry any collision insurance on it at all.
Old 07-02-2024, 05:49 PM
foshjowler
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always seen it as a simple equation. Am I willing/able to write off the car and replace it with something similar the next day should something go wrong? If the answer is no, then get the insurance
Old 07-02-2024, 07:08 PM
Ziggmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been getting the package deals. 3rd year of HPDE, the math for annual policies might start to make sense if I do more track days. I use OnTrack which costs the same for a weekend or single day, and so far I'm at around 8 planned events this year, so right on the edge.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:48 AM
AngeloGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I see on average at least one totaled car per 2-3 day event that I attend. Often due to unavoidable circumstances (e.g. car in front dropping liquid).

I just get the track insurance for the piece of mind. Yes, its expensive (and my car is paid off/ not a daily), but its just one less thing to worry about so I can be comfortable pushing a bit more on track.
Old 07-04-2024, 09:37 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 320 Posts

Since my car is a daily driver, and the cash flow is an issue should my car be wrecked at the track, I do buy the insurance. Since I have never seen a serious incident at the track I go to, when I have a track specific car it is unlikely I will do so.

Quick Reply: Track Insurance