Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster top

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 02:23 PM
markjay
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster top

I have a 2013 Boxster S. My top is not operating properly. On the first opening periodically the top stops while partially open. I must reengage the button to complete opening the top. My Porsche mechanic is unable to determine the cause. Any ideas would be appreciated. Technicians familiar with Boxster top electric issues also appreciated? Thanks. Mark
Old 02-24-2024, 03:25 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 288 Posts

Do a search on the word microswitch -- lots of discussion including some helpful DIY videos.
The following users liked this post:
Titanium5150 (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 07:31 PM
Titanium5150
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Doubt he's unable, I would guess he doesn't want to bother spending the time to diagnose which microswitch is bad.

Maybe find another Indy.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:13 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts

Bring it to the dealership and ask them to reset the low voltage codes. I assume your car was sitting for a long time without being used? If they reset the codes and you either replace or recharge your battery most likely you should be good to go.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:59 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

my porsche dealer tried to tell my my top issues were due to "low voltage" and reset everything, it did not fix the problem. If the top opens 3/4 of the way and stops and may stop in the same spot on the way up it's the microswitches on the sides of the top. To replace it requires removal of the top and a lot of interior pieces, so while doing it just replace both switches on either side. For more info, my switches when checked with a scan tool came back as operational without any issues which is why my porsche dealer would not replace them. Over time the switches stick and don't send the signal to the front latch to retract/extend at the right time which is why the top stops in the same spot each time. when the top is stationary and not moving the microswitches don't appear to have an issue and since it is a small time frame for the signal there is no code stored until they fail completely, at which point the top would need to be put into manual mode to close from wherever it's stuck.

Find an Indy familiar with the tops and the microswitches to do the work, for me the switches were special ordered from Suncoast at about $130 each (iirc) and the labor to replace them from a very good shop was roughly $1,100 which was the fairest quote I received. Top removal/install by the book is an 8hr job minimum so don't be surprised if you get prices over $2k for parts and Labor (depending on hourly rates).

I'd say to let us know where you're located and get some suggestions on the right place to go to.

Last edited by dav9515; 02-24-2024 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:03 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts

As long as you can open and close the top, why do you bother? I mean you just pull the button twice, so what? I would spend all that money as long as you can open and close the top.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:36 AM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
As long as you can open and close the top, why do you bother? I mean you just pull the button twice, so what? I would spend all that money as long as you can open and close the top.
I had many ask me the same question and here is my response to that:

1. I have a problem with knowing there's a functionality issue with my car and just ignoring it haha
2. The issue will get worse over time and it will be more complicated than just "release and repull the button" it will require multiple attempts to pull and release the lever to open and close the top
3. Its a very nice car with extremely low mileage and a porsche, kinda takes away from the experience when you're sitting at a light trying to put your top down and it's not working properly with everyone looking at you.
4. This issue basically means you can't use the top while moving because if it gets stuck open while driving that could be a big problem for multiple reasons
5. I wanted to install a smart top module for remote and one touch top functions, with the micro switch issue I couldn't do this as the functionality wouldn't work if the top stops every time. The Smart Top was one of the best mods I did on my Boxster and well worth the convenience so i was much happier with my car after a properly working top.

to each his own, however for me and the reasons above I knew it was necessary to bite the bullet and have it fixed permanently and correctly.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:35 PM
Old Phart
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm waiting on my - new to me - 2013 to be delivered. When I purchased it I went for a test drive and the first thing I did was cycle the roof. Roof fault. Anyway it's been two weeks now. I searched the forums and told them it was 90% the microswitches. So they immediately tried to repair the hook latch. They've finally ordered the switches and I should be getting the car early this week. No big complaints as they've been very accommodating. Right now I'm driving a 2014 718 S 'loaner'. Told them I felt bad putting miles on it and they said no worries. They just sell them as "Certified Preowned" after X miles.
But getting back on topic. Seriously you'd think shops would search the forums. Real owners with real problems and solutions.
Hope your issue gets resolved.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:09 AM
FishingForFishes
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

edit

Last edited by FishingForFishes; 02-27-2024 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Boxster top