Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing your headlamp lenses is EASY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 08:28 AM
DonJuan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

How difficult was is it to remove lenses from car is bumper removal required
Old 01-14-2024, 08:52 AM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts

On the 981... NO bumper removal required!!

All you have to do is open the frunk... pop out the plastic took kit (on your right), and the tire refill kit (upper left).

From the tool kit grab the headlight removal tool (long metal tool with a pivoting handle)... and insert in the little holes left and right behind these kits, after popping the rubber covers.

After engaging rotate the tool, and the headlight moves forwards and out. Pop the connector and that's it.

i will try to add some photos later...
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (07-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 09:11 PM
Boomhauer
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lens source?

Can you share which vendor or a part link? I broke my lenses at the bumper edge while replacing the horn. I was eyeing the $850 or so service, but I've already done the warped door panels, so this seems well within my skill range.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:12 PM
Boomhauer
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pulling the headlights are SUPER easy.
The tools are included in your car kit and they slide out as a whole.
Mike981S (07-22-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 12:26 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

These are the actual lenses I purchased...

I'm happy with them, but no guarantees:

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Can you share which vendor or a part link? I broke my lenses at the bumper edge while replacing the horn. I was eyeing the $850 or so service, but I've already done the warped door panels, so this seems well within my skill range.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:01 PM
Prevail1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up! Has anyone used the light-werkz service that does this? I did some research on wanting to DIY - and decided to have them do it.

After reaching out with a few questions they seemed very helpful. I am currently waiting on the lead time to send them out.

Last edited by Prevail1; 02-05-2024 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Figured out my own question
Old 01-31-2024, 01:40 PM
Chefphil
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have any pictures of the replacement lenses before installation? I got the lenses from the referenced eBay seller and I was hoping to compare them before cutting up my old ones.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:44 AM
Chefphil
AutoX

Here are pictures of the new lenses I got from eBay. Can you confirm the tab looks correct?
Old 02-03-2024, 11:26 AM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

The tabs look a little chipped to me. Almost like someone tried fitting them then changed their mind.

I think they would work, but if it was me I would contact the seller with some close-up photos. As long as things look perfect from the front of the lens they're probably OK because it's the adhesive that does the job of holding them in place... the tabs are there mainly for alignment purposes.

Mine arrived wrapped in what looked like Saran Wrap, then taped in plastic bags, and finally wrapped in bubble-wrap. If your's came in different packaging I would be concerned they may have been returned.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:23 PM
Chefphil
AutoX

Thank you Rob. These lenses came packed identical to your description. The lenses look perfect from the front. On the back, the lip is perfect but the tabs do look iffy. Communication with the seller is not ideal, but I will confirm the appearance of the tabs before proceeding.
Rob's-981S (02-05-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 01:39 PM
Chefphil
AutoX

Thank you so much for this how-to. I will say this was not the easiest project, but the cost/benefit is huge. I am super happy with the outcome. The replacement lenses from eBay was a sketchy route but they look great. The biggest challenge I had was holding the assembly still at all the angles necessary to cut perpendicular to the channel. I would also add using a longer knife than a box cutter was necessary for a few areas. I found a small paring knife to work perfectly. I would not say anyone could/should do this, but if you are fairly handy and your light look like grey hair, go for it. Nobody could guess my car's age now!
Old 03-13-2024, 04:20 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I just had mine professionally done. They look fantastic and brand new! $650.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:54 AM
Chefphil
AutoX

Originally Posted by subshooter
I just had mine professionally done. They look fantastic and brand new! $650.
That is not a bad deal. The lenses were $120 and it took me 3 hours or so to do the work. Having it done by someone that stands behind the work for that price is great. As I said, this was not super easy.
subshooter (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 05:41 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefphil
Does anyone have any pictures of the replacement lenses before installation? I got the lenses from the referenced eBay seller and I was hoping to compare them before cutting up my old ones.

Edit: oops. I am guessing you meant the replacements before installation.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:38 PM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Prices on Amazon range from $50 to hundreds of dollars for lenses. I've taken headlights apart in an oven before, so I'm no stranger to headlight restoration. I'm going to tackle this too on my 981 Cayman. I prefer Amazon for returns, so I'm ordering off there, and I am taking a suggestion from service providers who do this service and using this Butyl sealant they use. This uses heat like other manufactures, so it'll be easier to do this again in the future if necessary without cutting. The closeup of these looks good, so I'll get them, and I'll report on the quality. I also bought the Lamin-X precut clear headlight PPF. I may end up painting the headlights too. I don't want to lose performance by blacking out the headlight reflector housing, but I am not a fan of the vertical turn signals on the medial aspect of the lights, so I will likely smoke that, at minimum. I also bought some new D3S OSRAM 7000k bulbs. From what I understand, these are closer to 5500k.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by IraceRN; 03-28-2024 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing your headlamp lenses is EASY!!!