Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2016 981 CS driving it home 1800 miles? Sport Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 05:25 PM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Just bought a 2016 981 CS driving it home 1800 miles? Sport Steering Wheel?

Hello All,

I sold my 06 997 C2S Cab in May, and have been lurking for the more nimble 981 CS and finally found what I like in Phoenix AZ on BAT Friday. 2016 Cayman S 6MT thas 40K Miles, a Softronic Tune, Fabspeed Headers and upgraded PCM with Carplay. It just had oil change, had the Belt/Coil Packs/Plugs done in last year when headers went on and it has fresh Conti's on it.

Plan to fly out Friday 10/6, from Raleigh NC and pick it up, and spend 4.5 days driving it to Hunstville AL 1600 Miles, there for work starting Tuesday noon-, then Charlotte NC 3 days for work, and then home to Raleigh NC.

Is there anything I should plan to keep a eye on or plan to have addressed prior? Luckily the day temps next weekend cool off once I get up on I-40. Firgure I will aim Albuquerque, NM, then to OKC, then have some fun back roads Fort Smith and head southeast Hot Springs/Pine Bluff and maybe Tupelo/Oxford As I have never been...

Any wisdom appreciated. I have a Uniden R3, that Used when I bought my 997 in Portland OR and drive to Raleigh NC, but took in National parks over 10 days out west and was not a in a rush

I want to add a Sport Steering Wheel, anyone know where to best find it?

Thanks and super excited.

Tim

Last edited by IrishWhiskey; 10-01-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:40 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

Sounds like a great rode trip and the car was well maintained. Check the age of the battery. Anything older than 6 years should be considered for replacement. . Check brake pads and rotors. Common to put new pads on old rotors. Cabin filter and new wipers are good DIY items. I'd put new batteries (2032) in both remotes. You don't have a spare or jack and the OEM spare in a can has expired. You can buy a replacement can from Walmart. Some people have a tire plug kit. Make sure the OEM air compressor is there and it works. Use the cigarette lighter, not the passenger footwell plug. Under the cover in the frunk. IMO AAA or equivalent is a must. Car should have Sirius capability. Worth considering for the trip. Keep us posted with pics.
The following users liked this post:
IrishWhiskey (10-02-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 10:16 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 230 Posts

The steering wheels pop up for sale on here pretty often. New, any dealer can source one for you w/ the part number.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:06 PM
Darkly-Noon
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a new Sport Design steering wheel to replace the (unattractive) standard one my car came with. Ordered it from Suncoast, including a new retaining bolt and had it in about 3 weeks. Not cheap, but I love it. You might be able to find a used one for sale, but my interior leather is Agate grey, so less common than black.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:37 PM
bldn10
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Huntsville to Charlotte via Chattanooga/Asheville will take you right past the Tail of the Dragon. FWIW Barber Motorsports Park and museum [and Buc-ees] just off I20 east of Birmingham, new Porsche center near Atlanta airport, Road Atlanta just off I85 east of Atlanta.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:40 PM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 38 Posts

Yea Tail of the Dragon is bit too far north for me, as I leave Huntsville 3PM, and will probably head up to Highlands a night...then have just 3-4 hours in morning to Charlotte...need to be there 12 next day...

Barber been to a lot, used to have Vintage Triumphs...

Plan to poke around Hot Springs AR area and the National Forest there on Sunday afternoon/Monday Morning...
Avoiding ATL at all cost...go there monthly for work...

Thanks

Tim
Old 10-02-2023, 09:10 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishWhiskey
Yea Tail of the Dragon is bit too far north for me, as I leave Huntsville 3PM, and will probably head up to Highlands a night...then have just 3-4 hours in morning to Charlotte...need to be there 12 next day...

Barber been to a lot, used to have Vintage Triumphs...

Plan to poke around Hot Springs AR area and the National Forest there on Sunday afternoon/Monday Morning...
Avoiding ATL at all cost...go there monthly for work...

Thanks

Tim
Hot Springs is a cool area. The Bath Houses are worth taking a look at if you haven't seen them yet. Soak in them if you have the time or hit the fountain/spring on the corner. People were filling gallons of h2o when I was there lol. Nice hiking trails. Marked well. Can't get lost.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:31 PM
6mmamer
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Just a suggestion. From Highlands drive down to Rosman and take 178 down the escarpment. No traffic, all twisties and good pavement. Ask me how I know. Don't take 276S out of Brevard, pavement is in poor condition.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2016 981 CS driving it home 1800 miles? Sport Steering Wheel?