Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIWIS Rear Spoiler Coding

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 11:25 AM
Sekiro
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m wondering has anyone tried this for 992. It seems some tuning shop in China has done it. I saw it from tiktok so take it with a grain of salt. Or maybe it’s market dependent? Like some markets can access the height adjustment while others are no go.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:36 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

thanks very much for this help, I changed my 981 GTS height to 252 (ducktail spoiler looks high enough) and my speeds to up at 80kmph and down at 44 Kmph.

In CH the motorway speed limit is 120 kmph so in standard settings its an admission that you have been speeding!
Old 10-21-2023, 09:39 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Btw on a 991 I think it looks better, set higher than OEM
Old 10-22-2023, 01:45 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

and after following my wife down the highway in the 981 GTS, have now changed the ducktail spoiler height to 222
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard.:
DriverDaily (10-22-2023), nhnguy12 (10-22-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 02:58 PM
ArtWrangler
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Editing PIWIS perameters for Spoiler

I have a ducktail spoiler and I don't want it to come up at all. So I want my mechanic to set the 'raise' speed to an level I'll never reach. He is willing to do this for me but he does not know where to find the 'page' within the PIWIS where those perameters live.

Can anyone provide a screen shot of the PIWIS that includes information showing a page number or section identifier so my mechanic (BR Racing, Los Gatos CA) can locate the correct place make the changes for me?
2015 Cayman 981 GTS
Old 11-25-2023, 02:49 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtWrangler
I have a ducktail spoiler and I don't want it to come up at all. So I want my mechanic to set the 'raise' speed to an level I'll never reach. He is willing to do this for me but he does not know where to find the 'page' within the PIWIS where those perameters live.

Can anyone provide a screen shot of the PIWIS that includes information showing a page number or section identifier so my mechanic (BR Racing, Los Gatos CA) can locate the correct place make the changes for me?
2015 Cayman 981 GTS
The first post of this thread has instructions.

You need to be in Engineering mode (only in German) and then select ‘BCM hinten’. That takes you to the first page screenshot.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 11-25-2023 at 02:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thecajunboy (11-26-2023)
Old 01-11-2024, 10:03 PM
sanher747
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

For this reason I designed a new push rod system that allow me to modify the pitch when increasing the height as my convenience. You can check my project here:
https://www.718forum.com/threads/rea...29059/#replies
For me going at 360 height with the oem version is like going with an aerobrake (I also can go til 430 with this system)

Last edited by sanher747; 01-11-2024 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:49 PM
ArtWrangler
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My independent Porsche Mechanic successfully reprogrammed the spoiler using PIWIS. He just raised the 'trigger' speed and now my duct tail spoiler stays put, where it belongs.
I'm still able to use the manual button on the center console to raise it for servicing.
After two years trying for the result, I'm delighted that it works 'correctly.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:27 PM
Ken718B
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12

Some more coding fun for those of you with PIWIS clones. The settings for the spoiler are much more customizable than what comes from the factory. I'll do my best to describe what has been coded in the picture above.

In Normal & Sports mode:
  • An initial wing height (300 "steps" out of 360 possible height adjustments) that raises at 120kmh and lowers at 80kmh
  • A secondary wing height that raises to 350 "steps" at 160kmh and lowers back to the first height setting at 140kmh
  • Effectively coded out the third height adjustment by setting the activation speeds to unrealistic values (500&400kmh). This can be done to the previous two height settings as well to effectively deactivate the wing at all speeds. Might be useful to those with aftermarket wings without having to pull fuses.
In Sports Plus mode:
  • Wing immediately raises to highest height setting at 100kmh and completely lowers at 50kmh (I set the maximum height to 350 "steps" but you can do 360 if you want to go full air-brake)
I drove to a very out-of-the-way gas station to confirm the coding was working as described. I didn't think to take pictures of how the wing looks at different height settings and I'm now hiding inside because it is +100F outside here in Arizona. I will update this thread with pictures if I can spare some time later this week.
I have a 718 boxster and am using a Launch x431. When I look up Spoiler parameter – GeschwschwEinf1, my car is currently at 120 and you are changing this code to 80.

When I look up the code for GeschwschwAusf1 on my x431, I don't find that but I do find one for Spoiler parameter – Extending 1 speed threshold, which I assume is the same code you are showing for Spoiler parameter – GeschwschwAusf1. If so, my car currently at 80 and you are changing this code to 120.

My car currently has higher codes for the Einf codes than the Ausf codes (extending codes) but you are making the Ausf codes (extending codes) higher than the Einf codes. I have spoken to someone else with a 718 and his codes are set the same as mine. Is this correct? Did the factory set these codes on our car incorrectly? Any assistance would be appreciated?
Old 02-09-2024, 12:47 PM
rr_gts
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverDaily
I've actually tried two different ducktails already, and I'm in the middle of trying a third one.

1. Direct Car Toys
fitment: 1/5

I can't recommend this one. The brackets were handmade out of fiberglass with lots of filler. They were not symetrical and wobbled. The driver's side bracket didn't have enough adjustment. Even after using a dremel to add adjustability, the spoiler rubbed against the trunk.

2. Ebay Spoiler (2-Piece design)
fitment: 3/5

This is a good option for the price. My only complaints are:
  • The gap between the spoiler and the bumper is not right. It's too close in the center and too far away at the edges.
  • The bevel on the top edge is not the same as the OEM spyder ducktail. It makes the spoiler look too angular.

Note the difference in shape, especially the bevel on top.

3. OEM Ducktail + Schnell Autosports Brackets
fitment: unknown

This looks promising. The brackets are machined out of metal and you use the OEM ducktail.
I can't comment on fitment yet. I'm waiting to order the ducktail when I get back from a long trip.

How did option #3 turn out?
Old 02-09-2024, 06:48 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rr_gts
How did option #3 turn out?
doesn’t fit great.

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...hangeable.html
Old 02-10-2024, 01:38 AM
rr_gts
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverDaily
Darn... which option did you go with? Does the OEM GT4 ducktail fit? What's the best option available nowadays?
I can't seem to find many success stories even though I've seen several pics of them installed.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:39 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rr_gts
Darn... which option did you go with? Does the OEM GT4 ducktail fit? What's the best option available nowadays?
I can't seem to find many success stories even though I've seen several pics of them installed.
Here's a new thread comparing all the ducktails. I found one I like the fitment of.
https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...-compared.html
Old 05-30-2024, 01:08 PM
Mechie3
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently changed the spoiler deploy speeds on my 2013 991.1 as I installed a fixed wing. For a week it worked great. I could go over 75mph and it would stay down. Today I went over 75 and it stayed down, then I slowed in traffic, and when I went back up to 75 the wing went up. Has anyone seen the wing values revert back to standard? Are there other parameters that need to change? I changed the two GeschwSchwAusf1 to 250km/h (one for sport, one for sport plus). I was in sport mode when it happened.
Old 05-30-2024, 04:09 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mechie3
I recently changed the spoiler deploy speeds on my 2013 991.1 as I installed a fixed wing. For a week it worked great. I could go over 75mph and it would stay down. Today I went over 75 and it stayed down, then I slowed in traffic, and when I went back up to 75 the wing went up. Has anyone seen the wing values revert back to standard? Are there other parameters that need to change? I changed the two GeschwSchwAusf1 to 250km/h (one for sport, one for sport plus). I was in sport mode when it happened.
Did you do any automatic coding later? Automatic coding will erase any custom coding done in engineering mode.

Quick Reply: PIWIS Rear Spoiler Coding