Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting window on 981

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 01:32 PM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Adjusting window on 981

When I go above 70mph, there is a whistling from the drivers window down towards the sideview mirror. Looking at the window, it appears the window needs to be adjusted up about 1/8-1/4" compared to the passenger side. Is there a way to adjust the window? I've looked on youtube but most of the videos are to replace the window regulator. I had both door panels off and got to the window regulators. It looked like there was a screw on the side which clamped the regulator to the track rail it slides up and down on. I tried loosening that screw but the regulator wouldn't move. I couldn't see anywhere else I could make an adjustment.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:54 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Does the window drop when you first pull the handle and similarly raise after closing? There's a micro switch the handle activates. Try disconnecting the battery and do a reset on the window stops. Open all the way and then hold the button for about 5 secs. Raise and similarly hold for 5 sec.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:43 PM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

It does drop and raise when door opens. When I had pulled the door panel off I had disconnected the battery, to take the door airbag off. I did do a reset on the window stops when I re-connected the battery. It must have adjusted a little because the whistling used to start at 60 now it's around 70-75mph.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:37 AM
CaptainSlowly
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

You need to use a special Porsche tool to adjust the window. Or you can make you own. Here’s a video I followed and I used the details he provided in the comments to make a tool. (It’s made by cutting some aluminum into shape with a slight bend and then putting a rivet on it)

forward to 31:40

(note that he removed the window trim earlier in the video)

Last edited by CaptainSlowly; 03-10-2023 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:49 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Jeff Richardson is my hero. Seems everything I thought about doing (or not doing) he has a YouTube.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:27 PM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Watching the video, if I'm understanding him correctly, I can either make one of those tools or use a 5mm hex bit to loose the center screw. I should then be able to raise the front of the window up slightly to make a tight seal, then re-tighted the hex bolt?
Old 03-10-2023, 06:12 PM
CaptainSlowly
Advanced

Originally Posted by mtregan
Thanks. Watching the video, if I'm understanding him correctly, I can either make one of those tools or use a 5mm hex bit to loose the center screw. I should then be able to raise the front of the window up slightly to make a tight seal, then re-tighted the hex bolt?
you need the tool as far as I know
Old 03-10-2023, 06:21 PM
Kaybat
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Need to do this as well. when the dealer replaced my door cards, they left it sloppy, and my driverside whistles as well.Wish I knew the dimensions of that tool he used.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:28 PM
CaptainSlowly
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kaybat
Need to do this as well. when the dealer replaced my door cards, they left it sloppy, and my driverside whistles as well.Wish I knew the dimensions of that tool he used.
I mentioned above but maybe you missed it. The dimensions for the tool are in the video comments. They worked for me
The following users liked this post:
Kaybat (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 09:15 PM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Around 18:50 he pulls out the tool and mentions the dimensions.
The following users liked this post:
Kaybat (03-10-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 06:22 PM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Just finished adjusting the window. You don't need the tool. You'll need a 5mm hex head allen key or socket. There was enough room on the back side of the window to get a 5mm hex socket and my torque wrench in there. At first I was trying it with a 5mm allen key but couldn't get enough leverage. It was on pretty tight. Then tried it with the torque wrench and socket. If you use both hands to maneuver the wrench in place it makes it easier. Loosened the screw a bit and the window slid right up. Tightened and put everything back together. Didn't get it out on the road yet but definitely looks like it's seating correctly compared to before.

When you start, lower the window a couple of inches before you take the door panel off. You won't get at the screw if the window is all the way up. I then put a piece of tape on the inside of the window so I could see how much it went up when I moved it. Maybe took 30-40 min for the whole thing. Although I've taken the door panel off before so I knew what to expect on that end.

Update: Been a couple of days. Window is still sealed tight but when closing the door I'm feeling a noise/vibration in the window. Was playing with it today. When shut, there is 1/16-1/8" gap between the window and the rear fixed window all the way down the length of the door window. When I open the door and the window drops down, it is tilting back slightly so when I'm closing the door, the upper corner of the window is just rubbing on the edge of the rear fixed window. Once the door is shut and it goes back up the 1/2" or so, it comes off the rear window and the 1/8" gap is back. I looked at the passenger window and there appears to be more like 1/4" gap between the door window and fixed window.
May need to pull it all apart this weekend and slide the whole window forward an 1/8" to stop the rubbing.

Last edited by mtregan; 03-20-2023 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjusting window on 981