Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 981, new to the forum, not new to Porsche nor forums. ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 04:53 PM
McGary911
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up New 981, new to the forum, not new to Porsche nor forums. ;)

Hey all. I've always loved German cars and I just picked up Porsche #6. #5 was about 15 years ago so I'm happy to be back.

My first was a '74 914 1.8 when I was 16. I crashed that before I got my license. I've done better since.
Next was a '70 911T Targa with a ratty RSR body kit. Someone crashed into that while it was parked and totaled it...I made a few bucks off insurance.
Next came a '77 911T Targa. I didn't have that for long as I was in college and money was pretty tight. I enjoyed it while I had it for sure.
Then came the '73 914 2.0 that was done up with 5 lug Fuchs wheels and a 916 body kit including a sanded body covered targa top. that was a pretty neat car. Until the frame rotted under the battery.
My fav was a '78 red 911SC with BBS 3 piece wheels, leather Recaros, roll bar, turbo suspension.....you get the idea. I tracked that car a ton with PCA northern New Jersey region and got a bunch of Autocross wins....some of those plaques are on the wall in my mancave as of this day.

Then I got into a BMW kick for a bit after moving to Florida. I picked up a nice 2004 M3 'vert. That's Carbon black over Imola Red interior (very pimpy). I still have that car today and love it, but it'll have to go soon.
Back in 2017 I picked up a brand new Long Beach Blue M2. That car's a scream and is my daily driver today. It's been mildly tweaked with a Fabspeed low restriction cat, some factory carbon fiber bits, a Dinan sport tuner and a few other subtle things. I love that car.

And yesterday, I bought a friends 2013 Boxster S. She finally sold it after being on the fence for about 2 years. She only wanted to sell it to me. It's in great shape...i can only find one paint chip on the whole car. Her husband is super **** about his vehicles and it shows.
This one has a lot of great options including the 20" Carrera S wheels, PDK, white guage faces, chrono pkg, PDK, sport steering wheel, Leather pkg, Sport exhaust, white painted exterior pkg, the comm management and Bose packages and a few other things. The sticker on this thing was about $90k. There's almost no wear on the car...seats, wheels, paint, steering wheel...all seem new. Not even a rock chip on the front. They really babied it.

As I was driving off, of course the top wouldn't go all the way down. I figured that was a microswitch adjustment and they said they'd cover the fix (they're really good people). Now I see that these switches go after a while and there's a ton of labor to replace them. crap. I'll get through it.

I've done a bunch of car, watch and boat forums over the years and like them for the good ideas I find, chasing down problems (It's always happened to someone before me) and just seeing all the cars the other members have and what they do to them.

My days of pulling engines are over but I still like to do a lot of work myself. I did a ton to my M3 (only time it went to the shop was for an SMG issue) and while not as much to do on the M2, I coded a lot, did some interior mods, installed the new cat as well as a after market charge pipe (factory one went boom).

I'm looking forward to keeping my Boxster super nice, working on it when necessary (and when I can pull it off). Oh, and driving it.

I'm sure I'll find a lot of great info here and hopefully be able to offer some up as well. Here are a few pics of the car.

Oh, yeah...I need to get a good avatar pic.

The following 8 users liked this post by McGary911:
6mmamer (01-06-2022), Cayman7 (01-07-2022), Diamond Dave (01-06-2022), Emsworth (01-05-2022), forestial (01-06-2022), jg (atl) (01-06-2022), Kevin CS (01-06-2022), rockhouse66 (01-05-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-2022, 04:59 PM
heartbeat91
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations!! That is an awesome spec and an awesome ride. Please do update us on how the microswitch fix goes. I've been going through the same thing, brought it to my dealer 3 times now and it's still not fixed (they keep saying they cannot reproduce the issue when I bring it in, it happens every 4/5 drives for me).
Luckily My car is still under warranty for another year, so hopefully it becomes more frequent enough to get it fixed by the dealer.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:11 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 239 Posts

Nice looking ride and great spec. Only one thing wrong…it’s a PDK. Should be a 6S manual. Now that won’t start a row will it?…
Old 01-05-2022, 05:43 PM
KB614
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new Porsche! Your list of previously owned Porsche's is really nice!
Old 01-05-2022, 11:45 PM
Emsworth
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on the 981! Looks great
Old 01-06-2022, 09:44 AM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Welcome!
Old 01-06-2022, 05:55 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

There are several YouTubes on microswitches for the top. While there are numerous microswitches, the ones in the latch are the easiest and quickest to check and fix.
The following users liked this post:
McGary911 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 08:21 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats! That's a lot like the one I just bought. Mine's a 2015 but same paint, wheels and many of the same options. Wish I had the sport exhaust but it's got a 6mt which was a must have for me. Exhaust I can always go AM.

I wasn't a fan of the color or the wheels at first but they are really growing on me. I think the black wheels compliment the white nicely.

Enjoy
Old 01-07-2022, 07:20 AM
DonJuan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats, I bought my 13 two weeks ago and love it
Old 01-07-2022, 09:39 AM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Congrats and welcome! PDK is a blast
Old 01-07-2022, 11:17 AM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a keeper. FWIW, I ran across this thread the other day. 14 pages worth and it was a long and informative read. Bcuz you like to work on your car as I do you might put this one in your favorites. https://www.planet-9.com/threads/ignition-coil-failure-981-cs.100212/page-3I have a 14 Base and noticed a slightly rough idle on startup and discovered the thread. It smooths out after it warms up but, just sayin. Long and short of it is that the coil packs on these puppies tend to crash and it sounds like it is the result of high heat. I ordered 6 from autohausaz.com for $275ish (and the part # ends in 07 which are Beru oem part) to have on hand and replace when I do the plugs and oil change this spring. Some said in the thread that Borg Warner is the brand to go with.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:12 PM
Cayman7
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Beautiful car and spec, congrats! In terms of exterior mods, I highly recommend the GTS tinted taillights. They'll look great against the white paint and with the black wheels. Enjoy!
Old 01-07-2022, 01:30 PM
McGary911
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the welcome everybody. I'm still learning about the car. The entertainment system is a little complicated but I have it mostly going now. I filled the hard drive with tunes for the jukebox although i can only get like 1100 songs on there before it shuts down and halts the copy. I may have to do a couple smaller copies. The entertainment \ nav system has actually aged pretty well. My friend has a 2013 Challenger SRT (yeah, a little different)...and his system looks like first generation Nintendo compared to this.

The roof is still doing it's thing. It'll go down, but it's a fight. I'll have a chance to do the youtube research this weekend. When I saw the latch microswitch reference, I didn't think that would be my issue because the problem is way after it's unlatched....until I looked closer. the latch retracts while passing over the passenger compartment (so no one gets skulled, i guess)....the place where the roof stalls is EXACTLY where the latch extends and extracts before the roof starts to really fold into the hole. I hope it's that easy one and not another buried deep in the hole. That would be great. I found a video from this site about the latch switch but haven't had a chance to watch it. Fingers are crossed.

I wouldn't have minded a 6 speed as this isn't going to be my everyday car but I do really like the PDK. It really shifts nice. I have a similar DCT on the M2 and really like the technology (til it breaks).

You know, I typically haven't like smoked tails on most cars. On a lot of them it looks like too much....but after thinking what Cayman7 said....this might just be one of the cars where it looks good with teh black interior and black wheels. Now you've got me thinking.

I have a little crazing on the inside of the passenger headlight. I'll have to see what can be done about that. If it's the whole unit that could get costly I assume. I have the biXenons with the dynamic light system.

Thanks for the tips I've gotten already. There's a monthly cars and coffee tomorrow morning. Even if it's a bit chilly, I may drop the top and head over. A friend is bringing his new CaymanT as well which I haven't seen yet.

The fun's just starting.....................

Last edited by McGary911; 01-07-2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: forgot something
The following users liked this post:
lottadot (02-25-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 08:24 PM
EvilTuna7
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the car! I had to have the microswitches replaced on my 2013 BS. The top would stop opening about halfway through the sequence, I'd let go of the switch button, and then reengage it to bring it down all the way. I got it replaced under the CarMax warranty by Porsche and I think it cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:57 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats. I think you did well, beautiful car that is very nicely equipped. Good luck on the top and enjoy!

Quick Reply: New 981, new to the forum, not new to Porsche nor forums. ;)