Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to carry a snowboard on a 981?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 02:47 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Best way to carry a snowboard on a 981?

Yes. I will be taking this car snowboarding
winter tires already installed.

what are our solutions? Seasucker mount on the rear window? Will it hold well at Highway speeds?

thanks!!
The following users liked this post:
qwe (11-06-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 03:33 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,289 Likes on 806 Posts

Maybe?

Old 11-04-2021, 07:39 PM
ncster
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

I got a seasucker bike mount for my 981 but I've just not been brave enough to use it. Tested the suction cups though. They are as strong as they claim to be.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:44 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,456 Likes on 520 Posts

Consider buying a good daily driver that can accommodate your hobbies. Taking a mid engine sports car to the ski hill makes about as much sense a taking a 4Runner to a high performance driving school. It can be done but why would you.

Last edited by remington; 11-04-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:55 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ncster
I got a seasucker bike mount for my 981 but I've just not been brave enough to use it. Tested the suction cups though. They are as strong as they claim to be.
I've transported my road bike using my Seasucker from NY to FL (and back), hitting triple digits, and it never had a problem. I checked that the cups weren't losing any suction at every fuel / food stop and they never had any issues. As long as your mating surface is clean when the suction cups go on, you won't have anything to worry about. The product really is as good as they advertise.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:37 AM
ncster
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by burnergt4
I've transported my road bike using my Seasucker from NY to FL (and back), hitting triple digits, and it never had a problem. I checked that the cups weren't losing any suction at every fuel / food stop and they never had any issues. As long as your mating surface is clean when the suction cups go on, you won't have anything to worry about. The product really is as good as they advertise.
I don't doubt that the seasucker cups will hold just fine. I'm more worried about the damage I might do to my car or my bike while mounting the bike on the hatch. I'll just have to get used to it. Getting someone to help me the first time will probably get rid of the anxiety. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2021, 08:06 AM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by remington
Consider buying a good daily driver that can accommodate your hobbies. Taking a mid engine sports car to the ski hill makes about as much sense a taking a 4Runner to a high performance driving school. It can be done but why would you.
I have a daily. But life is too short to drive boring cars
I love the feeling of driving an exciting car year round.

I found this photo from a few months ago of a 718 I spotted on the highway. This guy is doing it right!!

This is my daily which has also been used all seasons

Old 11-05-2021, 10:19 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by remington

My GT4 is my daily...accommodates my cycling when needed. For a snowboard, I'd make sure the pointy/bendy edge is front facing, and pointed down, so air-flow does not induce any "lift".

Old 11-05-2021, 10:20 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ncster
I don't doubt that the seasucker cups will hold just fine. I'm more worried about the damage I might do to my car or my bike while mounting the bike on the hatch. I'll just have to get used to it. Getting someone to help me the first time will probably get rid of the anxiety. Thanks!

Just be careful with the amount of suction used when mounting on any glass section.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:44 AM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Speaking from experience, a word of caution.

With good tires, your traction and safety will be fine. Keeping the car in pristine condition, and whether or not you care about salt and potholes is totally your own business, so you're fine there, too.

But...
Having lived and played in winter sports all my life, there's one major downside to sports cars in the snow - clearance. Sometimes you have no choice but to clear or force your way through mounds of snow that are higher than your bumpers or undertray. This may not even be because it dumped multiple feet of snow, but is instead caused by the mounds the snowplows put in places where you need to drive through. Sometimes those mounds are hard to avoid.

I'm not saying don't do this, but just be aware that clearance hazards are a real thing. I've had to spend more than a few dollars fixing things that got torn up on my low-slung cars for this very reason.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:00 AM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nb1234
Speaking from experience, a word of caution.

With good tires, your traction and safety will be fine. Keeping the car in pristine condition, and whether or not you care about salt and potholes is totally your own business, so you're fine there, too.

But...
Having lived and played in winter sports all my life, there's one major downside to sports cars in the snow - clearance. Sometimes you have no choice but to clear or force your way through mounds of snow that are higher than your bumpers or undertray. This may not even be because it dumped multiple feet of snow, but is instead caused by the mounds the snowplows put in places where you need to drive through. Sometimes those mounds are hard to avoid.

I'm not saying don't do this, but just be aware that clearance hazards are a real thing. I've had to spend more than a few dollars fixing things that got torn up on my low-slung cars for this very reason.
good point and very much appreciated.

If I’m being honest driving to a ski lodge usually includes highway driving that is fully cleared and once I get to a parking lot those are fully plowed and flat, they just have packed snow on it. So that’s really it.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:30 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
My GT4 is my daily...accommodates my cycling when needed. For a snowboard, I'd make sure the pointy/bendy edge is front facing, and pointed down, so air-flow does not induce any "lift".

The unsung benefit of a GT4: the wing is a perfect mounting surface for the rear suction cup 👍🏼

Last edited by burnergt4; 11-05-2021 at 06:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
colnagoG60 (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 08:11 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

Maybe a stupid question, but is your board longer than the trunk is wide or deep? I guess your not going solo, but I carry a canopy in the passenger side going to the track. Seems a snow board would fit.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:55 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Maybe a stupid question, but is your board longer than the trunk is wide or deep? I guess your not going solo, but I carry a canopy in the passenger side going to the track. Seems a snow board would fit.
not a chance. My board is 158 cm long.
I may try the front seat
Old 11-06-2021, 11:19 AM
AngeloGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage

This is my daily which has also been used all seasons
Nice to see these cars being used year round.

ps I think I’ve seen your m3 at Sunday Motor Co

Quick Reply: Best way to carry a snowboard on a 981?