Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1433 FRONT Cooling Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 12:55 PM
Kernel Klink
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default P1433 FRONT Cooling Fault

I've searched the elusive P1433 fault ad nauseum, however I cannot seem to locate this specific fault scenario. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I was attending an event in the NC mountains last week/weekend, and spent most of the time in Sport/Sport + mode, driving quite spiritedly. My oil temps held between 200-235, however I kept receiving P1433 Front Cooling system faults. This was a concern in itself, as I have never seen it past 204 previously...typically holding around 182. I checked for leaks (there were none) and constantly monitored temps, but other than the fault, no issues. I cleared, and it would return, though at different durations, likely due to mixed in normal mode between fun spots.

Has anyone encountered this issue? The car does not have PSE, nor did it ever. That seems to be the standard place to start diagnosing, however no one has mentioned the FRONT cooling fault, only a cooling fault. I was hoping this specific designation may help dial down to the plausible cause, to begin troubleshooting from there. That said, will a PIWIS, iCarsoft, or Foxwell be able to better diagnose the fault? I've read horror stories about the COV's and trying to locate the correct one...

Thanks for whatever help that could be offered!

PFA

Old 04-15-2021, 02:49 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Kernel Klink
I've searched the elusive P1433 fault ad nauseum, however I cannot seem to locate this specific fault scenario. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I was attending an event in the NC mountains last week/weekend, and spent most of the time in Sport/Sport + mode, driving quite spiritedly. My oil temps held between 200-235, however I kept receiving P1433 Front Cooling system faults. This was a concern in itself, as I have never seen it past 204 previously...typically holding around 182. I checked for leaks (there were none) and constantly monitored temps, but other than the fault, no issues. I cleared, and it would return, though at different durations, likely due to mixed in normal mode between fun spots.

Has anyone encountered this issue? The car does not have PSE, nor did it ever. That seems to be the standard place to start diagnosing, however no one has mentioned the FRONT cooling fault, only a cooling fault. I was hoping this specific designation may help dial down to the plausible cause, to begin troubleshooting from there. That said, will a PIWIS, iCarsoft, or Foxwell be able to better diagnose the fault? I've read horror stories about the COV's and trying to locate the correct one...

Thanks for whatever help that could be offered!

PFA
Without researching the fault code I would guess it's an issue with one of the fans. Do they both work?
Old 04-15-2021, 03:00 PM
Kernel Klink
Instructor

I can have a look. That is not something that has been noted with this code that I have found, but worth checking for sure. Thanks
Old 04-15-2021, 03:57 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

You may have already read this and I know you don't have PSE, but from what I read, all of the vacuum lines in the car are plumbed into the cooling system vacuum lines, so if there's a vacuum leak anywhere, it will show up as a P1433 cooling system fault. Also, there were several references on several of different boards, both Boxster/Cayman and Carrera, to faulty sensors and crossover valves (COVs) in the engine cooling and cabin heating system. If both of your fans are running properly (They are multi-speed fans I believe), then you might want to look for a vacuum leak and/or sensors and valves.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TMc993; 04-15-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

A question or two:

1. Year/engine? That makes a difference especially in extended manufacturer specific trouble codes. I tried looking up P1433 in my AllDataDIY subscription (for my '09 Boxster Base PDK) and it has no reference to that code.
2. What did you use to read that code? Is the tool telling you what module it's faulting out in?

More info when asking this sort of question really makes the answers possibly much more accurate.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:01 PM
Kernel Klink
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
A question or two:

1. Year/engine? That makes a difference especially in extended manufacturer specific trouble codes. I tried looking up P1433 in my AllDataDIY subscription (for my '09 Boxster Base PDK) and it has no reference to that code.
2. What did you use to read that code? Is the tool telling you what module it's faulting out in?

More info when asking this sort of question really makes the answers possibly much more accurate.
Thanks! It's a 13 BS 3.5L. I used the Cobb AcessPort, which is not ideal. It only list the P1433 code. A P1802 was initially triggered as well, but upon clearing it did not return. There was no description other than the fault code. Both the heat and AC both work fine.

As was mentioned above, this usually is associated with the vacuum system however no one has ever noted a Front Cooling System Fault, just a cooling system fault. I figured that would be worth mentioning, as perhaps that would better help identify where to begin looking for issues, be it COV's or what have you.

Last edited by Kernel Klink; 04-15-2021 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: P1433 FRONT Cooling Fault