Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 boxster base purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 01:55 PM
xelu01
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2014 boxster base purchase

I'm new to the Porsche purchasing world and was hoping to get some guidance. I would like to buy a 2014 Porsche boxster with 46k miles with pdk. Cost is 35k and is about Mileage is 47k. It's in new jersey city and wanted to know if anyone knew a good prepurchase inspection area to have it looked at? What are common things to look for and what is the maintenance cost like? I've saved money on the side for expenses but this dealer is offering extended warranty. Do you suggest extended warranty? I will talk with them on Saturday about what it all covers, driving 200 miles to go test drive it and talk to them about it. Any other info i should put down? Are these cars able to be upgraded carplay, or the seats or however i buy it is how it shall be?

Edit: Found a porsche in delaware that is a 2015 boxster cpo with 35k miles for 43k but carfax has a accident on it.

Last edited by xelu01; 04-15-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:28 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by xelu01
I'm new to the Porsche purchasing world and was hoping to get some guidance. I would like to buy a 2014 Porsche boxster with 46k miles with pdk. Cost is 35k and is about Mileage is 47k. It's in new jersey city and wanted to know if anyone knew a good prepurchase inspection area to have it looked at? What are common things to look for and what is the maintenance cost like? I've saved money on the side for expenses but this dealer is offering extended warranty. Do you suggest extended warranty? I will talk with them on Saturday about what it all covers, driving 200 miles to go test drive it, and talk to them about it. Any other info i should put down? Are these cars able to be upgraded carplay, or the seats or however i buy it is how it shall be?
The 2.7L base engine is a solid engine and not prone to break easily, with no scoring issues either. I did purchase an extended warranty for it, given the replacement costs for the PDK and Engine, but have not had to use it. Bought mine with 29k miles on it, put another 30k miles on it in 3 years, and never had any issue thus far. I had the base radio (CDR) and upgraded to a Panasonic with wireless car play, replaced the door speaker, and added a subwoofer, not a big deal, and costs wise not bad either. Having a good service record is important, the 40k service calls for some additional items like brake fluid change and spark plugs. I did get the plugs replaced and at the same time the coils.

Last edited by alvitdk; 04-15-2021 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xelu01 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 02:36 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

If the Boxster you're looking at is the black-on-black Boxster at Axis, CarGurus states that it is listed at $1765 below average and therefore is a "Fair Deal." I doubt the seller will come off that price much at all as Internet pricing has proven to be the great equalizer among car dealers. What they post is generally very close to what they expect to get.

I think a PPI by a reputable Porsche shop would be essential before making a decision to purchase a car from a non-Porsche dealer. An experienced Porsche shop will know what to look for. That said, some car dealers are unwilling to allow a PPI so you might want to check with the dealer before you make the trip. Again, I wouldn't purchase a six-year-old Porsche without a PPI.

Some people think extended warranties are a good idea while others don't. Warranties come in a variety of formats ranging from drivetrain-only to bumper-to-bumper. They're generally more expensive when purchased through car dealers than direct from the warranty company, so you may want to wait and purchase the warranty separately. When I priced mine, costs ranged from $3500 to $5500 for bumper-to-bumper coverage on my 2014 Cayman with 47K miles. If you decide to purchase the warranty from the dealer, don't roll the warranty cost into the financing package on the car because the interest you pay by rolling it in effectively triples the cost of the warranty.

EDIT: Like alvitdk stated above, I purchased an extended warranty and haven't used it (Yet).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TMc993; 04-15-2021 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Clarity
xelu01 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 03:30 PM
xelu01
Advanced

Sounds great, all what i want to do to it and it looks to be a great car. I found another Porsche boxster cpo from Porsche dealership and was hoping to stop by and test drive it to see if i should get it. This one has 10k less miles and about 43k.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:31 PM
xelu01
Advanced

Originally Posted by alvitdk
The 2.7L base engine is a solid engine and not prone to break easily, with no scoring issues either. I did purchase an extended warranty for it, given the replacement costs for the PDK and Engine, but have not had to use it. Bought mine with 29k miles on it, put another 30k miles on it in 3 years, and never had any issue thus far. I had the base radio (CDR) and upgraded to a Panasonic with wireless car play, replaced the door speaker, and added a subwoofer, not a big deal, and costs wise not bad either. Having a good service record is important, the 40k service calls for some additional items like brake fluid change and spark plugs. I did get the plugs replaced and at the same time the coils.
Sounds great, all what i want to do to it and it looks to be a great car. I found another Porsche boxster cpo from Porsche dealership and was hoping to stop by and test drive it to see if i should get it. This one has 10k less miles and about 43k.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:37 PM
xelu01
Advanced

Originally Posted by TMc993
If the Boxster you're looking at is the black-on-black Boxster at Axis, CarGurus states that it is listed at $1765 below average and therefore is a "Fair Deal." I doubt the seller will come off that price much at all as Internet pricing has proven to be the great equalizer among car dealers. What they post is generally very close to what they expect to get.

I think a PPI by a reputable Porsche shop would be essential before making a decision to purchase a car from a non-Porsche dealer. An experienced Porsche shop will know what to look for. That said, some car dealers are unwilling to allow a PPI so you might want to check with the dealer before you make the trip. Again, I wouldn't purchase a six-year-old Porsche without a PPI.

Some people think extended warranties are a good idea while others don't. Warranties come in a variety of formats ranging from drivetrain-only to bumper-to-bumper. They're generally more expensive when purchased through car dealers than direct from the warranty company, so you may want to wait and purchase the warranty separately. When I priced mine, costs ranged from $3500 to $5500 for bumper-to-bumper coverage on my 2014 Cayman with 47K miles. If you decide to purchase the warranty from the dealer, don't roll the warranty cost into the financing package on the car because the interest you pay by rolling it in effectively triples the cost of the warranty.

EDIT: Like alvitdk stated above, I purchased an extended warranty and haven't used it (Yet).

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much, I found a boxster in Delaware from the Porsche dealership for 43k and 35k miles. I think that is a much better deal and i would trust this car more than the black on black one. They said they will not allow me to take it to a shop, they have to come here. It may take me some time to do that and i'd rather not drive all the way there to not get anything out of the drive. This one in Delaware is an hour away and looks like a solid deal.

Edit: It had a accident according to the carfax. What do you think of that? It has an accident but it's cpo.

Last edited by xelu01; 04-15-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:58 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

Thank you very much, I found a boxster in Delaware from the Porsche dealership for 43k and 35k miles. I think that is a much better deal and i would trust this car more than the black on black one. They said they will not allow me to take it to a shop, they have to come here. It may take me some time to do that and i'd rather not drive all the way there to not get anything out of the drive. This one in Delaware is an hour away and looks like a solid deal.

Edit: It had a accident according to the carfax. What do you think of that? It has an accident but it's cpo.
Complete nonstarter for me. I've had Porsche dealerships (and lots of other dealerships) allow for an offsite PPI. Absurd that they won't. Raises red flags in my mind.
xelu01 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 04:12 PM
xelu01
Advanced

Originally Posted by JamesBaxter
Complete nonstarter for me. I've had Porsche dealerships (and lots of other dealerships) allow for an offsite PPI. Absurd that they won't. Raises red flags in my mind.
Yea, that put a red flag up because they want the ppi tech to come there but won't allow me to take it somewhere else for a ppi.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:13 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

It had a accident according to the carfax. What do you think of that? It has an accident but it's cpo.
This is just my opinion, but I would attempt to determine the nature of the accident. If it was a "fender bender" and was properly repaired with a good paint match, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it's a CPO car. Also, in my opinion, a CPO warranty negates the need for a PPI because it is essentially a factory warranty and the dealer is on the hook for warranty-based repairs. CPO is also transferrable (With limitations), so having one adds value to you car should you decide to sell it before the CPO warranty expires.

Last edited by TMc993; 04-15-2021 at 05:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TMc993:
BigBob (04-19-2021), Diamond Dave (04-16-2021), xelu01 (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 05:23 PM
xelu01
Advanced

Originally Posted by TMc993
This is just my opinion, but I would attempt to determine the nature of the accident. If it was a "fender bender" and was properly repaired with a good paint match, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it a CPO car. Also, in my opinion, a CPO warranty negates the need for a PPI because it is essentially a factory warranty and the dealer is on the hook for warranty-based repairs. CPO is also transferrable (With limitations), so having one adds value to you car should you decide to sell it before the CPO warranty expires.
2016 accident and the nature of the accident was a head on collision with no airbags deployed. It says two owners the original one who bought it from 2015 until 2019 then the current owner has it from 2019 now which is the dealer, right? PPI won't be needed on this one but if i got the other one from axis dealer then i would want one but they won't let me take it to another shop for a ppi just have someone come there.

Quick Reply: 2014 boxster base purchase