Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hazing and micro cracks on 981 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 12:52 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Because polycarbonate is lighter, cheaper, and tougher than glass, as well as being easier to manufacture in the complex headlight shapes on modern cars.

The only problem with polycarbonate is it's not very UV resistant at all, so it needs a UV protective coating added when manufactured. If they do start to haze, though, you can pretty easily wet sand off the old coating/haze and recoat them. The only trick is finding a good replacement coating that will provide ongoing UV protection.

The microcracks seem to be unique to the 981 and are probably a manufacturing issue: I haven't seen that on my 987.2 or on any other cars with any frequency.
I don’t need lighter, cheaper, or tougher. I need a lens that will look good for 20 years if some outside violence does not visit. The plastic doesn’t hold up and you can see evidence of that all around you in every parking lot in the United States. It’s all crap.
The following users liked this post:
alvitdk (04-02-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 02:07 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

Time, engineering, and car design have all left you behind, I'm afraid.

If you park indoors plastic headlights will last a very long time. And even if you park outdoors it's not very much work to refresh them every five years or whatever. When mine started going (the Cayman was about seven years old) it took me like two hours total to restore them: it's a pretty easy DIY job if you're at all handy.
Schwinn (04-02-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I don’t need lighter, cheaper, or tougher. I need a lens that will look good for 20 years if some outside violence does not visit. The plastic doesn’t hold up and you can see evidence of that all around you in every parking lot in the United States. It’s all crap.
That's actually rather simple - have PPF installed on the lens (10-mil works well). If it's done right you'll never know it's there except your lens will stay clear and not yellow. If the PPF yellows a bit - replace it (mine on my Boxster is going on 12 years now - and looks like new, my Cayenne 11 years and looks like new..)

WAY cheaper than replacing the lights and much better clarity then even the best repolish of the existing lens can achieve. I wrote an article back about 15+ years ago for the BMW Car Club magazine Rondel on polishing headlight lenses. I think I was one of the first - if not the first - to do it. No kits were available at the time, but I explained how to do it with what was available - successive grits of sandpaper then 3M Mirror Glaze polish. At the time I installed some heavy-duty protective plastic film on the headlights after polishing them, the film was sold as rock protection. It worked like a charm.. headlights continued looking good until I sold the car - '98 M3 convertible.
Schwinn (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 11:41 AM
PBG
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose
If you park indoors plastic headlights will last a very long time. And even if you park outdoors it's not very much work to refresh them every five years or whatever. When mine started going (the Cayman was about seven years old) it took me like two hours total to restore them: it's a pretty easy DIY job if you're at all handy.
Well, I wish this were true. My car gets driven 7-8 months out of the year tops, and only on the nice days. Severe weather days it stays in. And yet, mine started this last year, juuust after warranty expired. You can read more here Micro-cracks on headlights . I went the sand and polish route and will have Xpel applied soon. This is clearly (pardon the pun) a manufacturing defect that Porsche is unwilling to accept.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:48 AM
rk15000
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting to see this on a Porsche, because it also happened to my MINI (apparently a lot of BMW products are prone to this as well). Seems like thousands of micro-cracks that start from inside the plastic itself...I wonder if it has to do with the temperature given off by the bulb within the housing on certain headlight designs, and the constant temperature fluctuations?
Old 04-03-2021, 09:04 AM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, I ordered a new set of lenses and will see how it goes. From the looks of it, baking is not an option due to much higher temperature needed to soften the RV sealant, thinking of using a mwteal wire to cut the sealant. Others used a dremeal and brute force, I will try this method first before heading that route.

Wire cutter Wire cutter
Old 04-05-2021, 12:40 PM
chammond
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

Hi everyone...I just went through this with my '15 Cayman S. The headlights had micro-cracks and hazing very similar to what the OP posted. I had a local detailing shop in the Chicago burbs sand them down, polish them and put a PPF wrap on them (Suntek). They came out really well. It took them almost a day to do both of them, but the $$ was much better spent refurbishing them vs buying new ones. I also didn't want to cut into them and replace the lenses like some have... Here are some before and after shots and side by side comparisons.

Untouched - before passenger side

Driver side - after correction

Passenger side before, driver side after

Close up - before on left and after on right

Before - left, After - right

Passenger - before

Driver - after
The following 13 users liked this post by chammond:
98oneGTS (03-14-2023), alvitdk (04-05-2021), BigBob (04-09-2021), CaymanCarver (04-24-2021), deilenberger (04-05-2021), gearFX (04-09-2021), imaputz (04-24-2021), Kaybat (10-23-2022), Laszlo_Laz (04-05-2021), MrMoose (04-05-2021), mtregan (02-28-2023), Sub (04-07-2021), Z3SpdDmn (09-07-2021) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2021, 01:05 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by chammond
Hi everyone...I just went through this with my '15 Cayman S. The headlights had micro-cracks and hazing very similar to what the OP posted. I had a local detailing shop in the Chicago burbs sand them down, polish them and put a PPF wrap on them (Suntek). They came out really well. It took them almost a day to do both of them, but the $$ was much better spent refurbishing them vs buying new ones. I also didn't want to cut into them and replace the lenses like some have... Here are some before and after shots and side by side comparisons.
Looks great, unfortunately, mine were so severe that even after all that work, at night they still sparkle like a Christmas tree. The shop did not want to sand further down as it seemed the cracks would go almost all the way and it would have gotten too thin. Either way, I will try my luck with new lenses and report back how it goes.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:31 PM
PBG
Advanced

An update after sanding the cracks from the surface of the acrylic. I had Xpel applied today.
There are a few spots on the edges that are still sort of seen, but it’s drastically better than it was. Overall very happy.

The following 4 users liked this post by PBG:
CaymanCarver (04-24-2021), deilenberger (04-24-2021), ElCid86 (10-25-2022), imaputz (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 07:52 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hope that is the thin expel and not the thicker headlight protection they sell. I used to be an expel dealer, had lot of problems with the expel retaining too much heat which causes the lens to develop micro cracks
ElCid86 (11-18-2022)
Old 04-24-2021, 11:29 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Hope that is the thin expel and not the thicker headlight protection they sell. I used to be an expel dealer, had lot of problems with the expel retaining too much heat which causes the lens to develop micro cracks
Which is the entire point of this thread and the hundred others just like it. The factory Porsche lenses and film protection do the exact same thing so you can be screwed either way
PBG (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 11:47 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Great info. in this thread.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2021, 12:15 PM
imaputz
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new to me cayman also has this crazing effect.... This might be region specific, but does any know of a sf bay area shop who has tackled this before?

I've asked some detailers already, and doesn't seem like they want to touch it and just recommend getting new headlights.

Thanks in advance for recommendation

Looks like tiny ants inside

Last edited by imaputz; 04-24-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:26 PM
PBG
Advanced

Originally Posted by imaputz
My new to me cayman also has this crazing effect.... This might be region specific, but does any know of a sf bay area shop who has tackled this before?

I've asked some detailers already, and doesn't seem like they want to touch it and just recommend getting new headlights.

Thanks in advance for recommendation

Looks like tiny ants inside
This is the exact same issue I just dealt with. Three options, Leave it, replace them with new or completely remove enough top cost to remove 98% of the issue and have a UV protection of your choice applied.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:30 PM
PBG
Advanced

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Well the thicker film is not and more than likely never was the cause. This is a manufacturing defect, period. My car had less than 30k miles when I discovered it, had never had anything applied on the lights nor sat outside in the sun. It also has never been on the road more than 8-9 months a year, on only the non-severe weather days.

Last edited by PBG; 04-24-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: hazing and micro cracks on 981 headlights