Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981, best service reset/diag tool?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 02:26 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts
Default 981, best service reset/diag tool?

I have a 981 S and do all my own maintenance since I track it a lot of change fluids often, etc. What's the best tool for resetting service intervals and general reading of diagnostic data? Also is there anything that can cycle the ABS pump for bleeding brakes?

Is a Durometric what i'm after? iCarSoft?

Last edited by txbdan; 11-02-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:17 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Durametric Enthusiast version should handle it:
Owen at Durametric says:
"That capability is supported. Look under Activations for the Stability Management system."
Old 11-02-2020, 04:19 PM
txbdan
Pro

Originally Posted by NewArt
Durametric Enthusiast version should handle it:
Owen at Durametric says:
"That capability is supported. Look under Activations for the Stability Management system."
I actually just got a response to me email to Duratech and they confirm that it doesn't support the ABS bleed functions on the 981. Bummer.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:22 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 364 Posts

I am a big DIYer and have a Foxwell NT520Pro with the Porsche firmware..

I have used it to reset the service reminder/light on my 981 Cayman as well as disable the rear spoiler on a friends 997 turbo.. It can read real-time data as well although I have not really used it for that... For realtime data I use a Durametric enthusiast; log the data to a file and then import into a graphing tool my my laptop (e.g. datazap.me)

The Torque app (with a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle) will also read real-time data with some pretty cool graphs..
Old 11-02-2020, 10:05 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
I actually just got a response to me email to Duratech and they confirm that it doesn't support the ABS bleed functions on the 981. Bummer.
Curious, when is the ABS bleed function necessary? Not needed for a routine bleed or total brake fluid flush.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:21 PM
txbdan
Pro

Not normally needed, but it'd be nice to have when you do. I'm basically trying to figure out what tool offers the most functions. Seems like the Durametric is pretty lacking for the 981 compared to the 987, but maybe it'd be the same for iCarSoft too. Can't quite tell.

PDK fill mode tool would also be nice.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:59 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

PDK fill mode would definitely be nice to have.

Maybe the reason ABS bleed mode would be needed is if the ABS unit was removed and replaced and the replaced unit has no oil at all in the pump portion of its circuits. Typical brake bleeding and flushing just flows air bubbles right by the closed ABS solenoid valves that only open in ABS activation. Meanwhile, behind those solenoid valves internally the ABS pump and fluid circuits stay full of fluid with no air introduced.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:43 PM
txbdan
Pro

Originally Posted by okie981
PDK fill mode would definitely be nice to have.

Maybe the reason ABS bleed mode would be needed is if the ABS unit was removed and replaced and the replaced unit has no oil at all in the pump portion of its circuits. Typical brake bleeding and flushing just flows air bubbles right by the closed ABS solenoid valves that only open in ABS activation. Meanwhile, behind those solenoid valves internally the ABS pump and fluid circuits stay full of fluid with no air introduced.
Yeh, over the years i've run brake fluid reservoirs run dry and and had fluid drain out when calipers were off, etc. No ideal, but it happens.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
I have a 981 S and do all my own maintenance since I track it a lot of change fluids often, etc. What's the best tool for resetting service intervals and general reading of diagnostic data? Also is there anything that can cycle the ABS pump for bleeding brakes?

Is a Durometric what i'm after? iCarSoft?
The earlier iCarsoft POR II does not have the ABS bleeding function but the newer iCarsoft POR V2.0 has the ABS bleeding function as well as the battery initializing function. I have initialized my battery when I upgraded to a 95ah battery from the original 70ah on my 981 CS. I have not tried the ABS bleeding function yet but will on my next brake fluid flush. Although I have never experienced an ABS problem I saw a show where they claimed that the ABS could be gunked up with old contaminated fluid if not occasionally flushed using an ABS bleeder.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
edmaverik (05-19-2022)
Old 11-03-2020, 05:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,155 Likes on 764 Posts

Curious, when is the ABS bleed function necessary? Not needed for a routine bleed or total brake fluid flush.
I would argue it's needed every time the brakes are flushed. It's the only way to get entrapped air and old fluid out of the ABS/PMS modulator. Each wheel has it's own hydraulic circuit in the modulator - and each should be activated while flushing (or bleeding.) My Boxster was maintained by a Porsche mechanic (the owners son) - and when I flushed the brakes about 3 months ago with my mechanic - he was quite surprised at the amount of air that came out of the modulator. I was quite happy on how much firmer and easier to modulate the brakes were. Not bleeding the modulator would be like changing the oil but leaving the old filter in place. It makes you feel good - but it's not the right way to do the job.

BTW - used an iCarScan X431 (different from iCarSoft) which has the ABS/PSM bleed function. It also has battery registration for my Cayenne (not needed on a 987.2) - but it doesn't seem to write it correctly.

Last edited by deilenberger; 11-03-2020 at 05:32 PM.
edmaverik (05-19-2022)
Old 11-03-2020, 08:41 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I would argue it's needed every time the brakes are flushed. It's the only way to get entrapped air and old fluid out of the ABS/PMS modulator. Each wheel has it's own hydraulic circuit in the modulator - and each should be activated while flushing (or bleeding.) My Boxster was maintained by a Porsche mechanic (the owners son) - and when I flushed the brakes about 3 months ago with my mechanic - he was quite surprised at the amount of air that came out of the modulator. I was quite happy on how much firmer and easier to modulate the brakes were. Not bleeding the modulator would be like changing the oil but leaving the old filter in place. It makes you feel good - but it's not the right way to do the job.

BTW - used an iCarScan X431 (different from iCarSoft) which has the ABS/PSM bleed function. It also has battery registration for my Cayenne (not needed on a 987.2) - but it doesn't seem to write it correctly.
Would be nice to have ability to open the solenoid valves in the ABS unit when flushing and activate the ABS pump to try and purge the old fluid, although there isn't much in there.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:59 AM
Paul Quilter
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

It is important to get old fluid flushed out of the ABS units as it absorbs moisture and that causes corrosion internally. I have seen inside dead ABS units and it is not pretty. Do a full flush at least every 2 years to ensure longest life of your brake systems.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:25 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,155 Likes on 764 Posts

Would be nice to have ability to open the solenoid valves in the ABS unit when flushing and activate the ABS pump to try and purge the old fluid, although there isn't much in there.
iCarScan can do that on my 987.2 if someone with a 981 wants to come by we could see if it does it for that model also..
Old 11-08-2020, 12:21 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My Autel Maxdiag Elite MD802 can open the solenoid valves in the ABS unit and can also lock and release the EPB to assist with changing the rear rotors/pads.
I've used it to reset my maintenance and oil intervals.
CaymanCarver (11-09-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 09:35 PM
txbdan
Pro

I confirmed with Duratec that it cannot activate ABS for flushing or do PDK fill mode.

The iCarSoft claims it can do ABS activation, electic parking brake, and battery registration. I bought the unit, but haven't tried any of that.

Quick Reply: 981, best service reset/diag tool?