Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981, best service reset/diag tool?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 10:57 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by algiorda
My Autel Maxdiag Elite MD802 can open the solenoid valves in the ABS unit and can also lock and release the EPB to assist with changing the rear rotors/pads.
I've used it to reset my maintenance and oil intervals.
That's the one I got. Seemed to provide the most features for the 981.

However, recently went looking for a firmware update for the device and it now appears its no longer supported by Autel.
Hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:59 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

My Autel Maxdiag Elite MD802 can open the solenoid valves in the ABS unit and can also lock and release the EPB to assist with changing the rear rotors/pads.
I don't recommend messing with the EPB. You don't need it to change the rear pads, only the rear EPB pads, which are extremely rare. My EPB controller had a firmware issue and I had to have it replaced because it wouldn't go back into position.

How to you open the ABS solenoid valves? I have the MD802 and don't see an option for that unless it is buried down in the menus somewhere. There is very little documentation on vehicle-specific functions.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:44 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

I will say that if you ever do replace the electric parking brake pads, you had better be ready for a challenge to get the ECU happy again (or whatever computer manages the EPB). This is an area where a tech with experience and the right software tools is needed. Don't know if any tool other than PIWIS can get it straight, but trust me, if you get lucky and get it right without an experienced tech and a software tool, thank your lucky stars and DON'T TOUCH IT, instead tip-toe away softly but quickly. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by okie981; 11-10-2020 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
McGary911 (05-25-2022)
Old 11-09-2020, 08:47 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
I confirmed with Duratec that it cannot activate ABS for flushing or do PDK fill mode.

The iCarSoft claims it can do ABS activation, electic parking brake, and battery registration. I bought the unit, but haven't tried any of that.
If I could do PDK fill mode with one of these, I'd sell my Durametric and buy it.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:18 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,130 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
If I could do PDK fill mode with one of these, I'd sell my Durametric and buy it.
I think the PIWIS clones can. Just not sure how comfortable I feel with using cloned software on my car. Compared to a fully supported tool.

Have yet to buy a scan tool, but I want one that can read DME’s (in case I’m looking at a car for someone), read and clear codes and do basic programming. Durametric can do that, at least on 997’s, so I’ll probably end up with the professional version of that.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:58 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 583 Posts

I have the pro Durametric and have done basic stuff up to my '14 turbo S and 981 Spyder... from what I've heard, all the newer dot 2's have basically locked us out of doing sh*t on our own cars. I think I'll take good care of my "older" cars as the new ones won't let the average guy do anything, especially old "computer illiterates" like myself.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:51 PM
ledbette
Racer

Originally Posted by okie981
I will say that if you ever do replace the electric parking brake pads, you had better be ready for a challenge to get the ECU happy again (or whatever computer manages the EBP). This is an area where a tech with experience and the right software tools is needed. Don't know if any tool other than PIWIS can get it straight, but trust me, if you get lucky and get it right without an experienced tech and a software tool, thank your lucky stars and DON'T TOUCH IT, instead tip-toe away softly but quickly. Ask me how I know.
Agree absolutely. I'll never mess with the EPB again. It got stuck in service mode and wouldn't come out. It took a handful of Porsche techs and a bunch of replaced controller parts to get it working again. Luckily it was still under warranty.

That was my first rear brake job on this car, and thought it was something that I needed to do. Lesson learned. I'll never do that again, and I warn people whenever I get the chance.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:00 PM
ledbette
Racer

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
That's the one I got. Seemed to provide the most features for the 981.

However, recently went looking for a firmware update for the device and it now appears its no longer supported by Autel.
Hope I'm wrong.
It's still supported. Use the Maxi PC suite, and put the SD card into your PC. It'll find it and update.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:52 AM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I just received the Autel MD 806 Pro (which is the successor to the MD 802) and works with both our 981 CS and our 2016 Macan S.
I first tried the iCarsoft PORII which was NOT compatible with either vehicle.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:23 PM
ledbette
Racer

BTW - I don't recommend messing with the EPB. This function is NOT needed to change the rear rotors/pads. The only time you would ever need this is if you somehow managed to wear out your parking brake pads, which should last a lifetime. I made the mistake of doing this on my 981. There is a firmware glitch in the brake controller that caused it to not be able to recalibrate. They ended up having to replace the brake controller.

I'm not sure how to activate the solenoid valves on the MD802. The documentation for the tool is lousy. You really have to dig for things.

Interesting on the iCarsoft PORII. A lot of people have recommended that for use with the 981.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:40 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Originally Posted by ledbette
BTW - I don't recommend messing with the EPB. This function is NOT needed to change the rear rotors/pads. The only time you would ever need this is if you somehow managed to wear out your parking brake pads, which should last a lifetime. I made the mistake of doing this on my 981. There is a firmware glitch in the brake controller that caused it to not be able to recalibrate. They ended up having to replace the brake controller.

I'm not sure how to activate the solenoid valves on the MD802. The documentation for the tool is lousy. You really have to dig for things.

Interesting on the iCarsoft PORII. A lot of people have recommended that for use with the 981.

It’s quite possible I received a bad one. It would not power up unless it was connected to a power source with the USB cable. It also only came up with 911 Carrera when reading the car. At any rate, the Autel worked just fine.

So you’re saying the 981 has separate pads for the parking brake VS. the wheel brakes? My car only has 13K so I haven’t had to mess with that yet.
It looks like the Macan is different in that regard.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:11 PM
ledbette
Racer

Originally Posted by NoSubstitute981
So you’re saying the 981 has separate pads for the parking brake VS. the wheel brakes?
Yes. They look just like old-school drum brakes with an electro-mechanical actuator that presses them against the inside of the rotor. You should never need to replace them. As long as you release the parking brake normally when doing rear rotors, you should not need to actuate anything with an electronic tool. The parking brakes self-adjust.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:13 PM
ledbette
Racer

Old 05-19-2022, 05:34 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Good to know, thanks a bunch! Too bad the Macan isn’t that way but then again, it’s more Audi than Porsche.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:24 PM
McGary911
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I got the iCarsoft when I bought my car in January. It works well. If reset some service reminders after doing the service. I’ve played with a bunch of the switch tests, watched some real time data and a few other things. For less than $150 it seems like a bargain. It should work with most modern Porsches. I’ve helped a friend with his. What I didn’t know, for another hundred bucks, there’s a version that will have all the bells and whistles for most makes. I would have gone with that. Heck I still may and sell this one. Even the Pcar only version does more than many phone app based tools on other cars (fixed a couple of Subarus with it) but go with the universal one. Feels like a quality device. Some guy did an intense write up on it in another post on this forum.

oh, and it has the ABS wiggle functionality, although I haven’t used it.

Quick Reply: 981, best service reset/diag tool?