Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a lot of love for the Boxster.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 10:50 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Not a lot of love for the Boxster.

I've been an owner of my first Boxster for exactly one month. I've owned 13 Porsche's over the years prior, from 914's to 993 Turbos. The Boxster is really a great car and while I don't even have 500 miles yet I've enjoyed every drive. This model is a 987 Spyder and I feel it's really a nice looking car from any angle be it top up or top down. Performance isn't earth shattering but it's quick enough to be a fun car to drive. Sure I'd like to have a little more but not disappointed by any means. This really isn't hedline news as it's been said before by countless owners. The part I wasn't expecting is how the public sees the car. There is little to no interest in it from others. There's been no small talk at gas stations or random parking lot comments. Definitely no cell phone pics and even at our small town Cars & Coffee, only a few people asked about it. One guy asking if his girlfriend could sit in it as they were looking for a car for her and another guy asking what exactly it was a the rear script only reads "Spyder". The words Boxster Spyder had barely escaped my lips when he just said "oh" and turned and walked away. Another person standing not far from me when the car was on the dyno mentioned that it sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

I'm enjoying the car and that's all that matters and I realize it's not a Carrera GT and I didn't buy it looking for anyone's approval, but I'm surprised really based on all the other P cars I've owned how mundane it is in the community.
The following 2 users liked this post by gandalfthegray.:
Gdub (10-08-2020), Larry L (12-14-2020)

Popular Reply

10-08-2020, 12:14 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean L.
What part of the country do you live? I had a 2011 Spyder for a year or so. I literally could not go anywhere without someone commenting or giving a thumbs up. I think that the 987 Spyder is the best looking of the three, but YMMV. Such a great car.
I'm in northern Minnesota which I suppose doesn't help.

Originally Posted by scootr
Maybe they are still expecting a sports car to be an orange 69 dodge charger.
Oh? Is that wrong to say?
There is much truth in this in a rural Minnesota community.

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Why are you worried about what other people think?
I do not care, you should not either.
If this is really the case, and you're not trolling, buy a BMW and give it donk wheels and a gold leaf wrap?
Or, a '69 Charger...
I wouldn't say worried, more surprised. I really do feel it's a great looking car and I guess I just thought others would too.

Originally Posted by hf1
You’re just not a Boxster person, you don’t love the car (“I’d like to have a little bit more”), and it shows — not that there’s anything wrong with that. People are attracted to the bond between car and driver, the aura. Those that love their Boxsters get plenty of thumbs up and compliments, exactly because they don’t care if they get them or not, and it shows. This coming from a long time Boxster addict.

To me the Boxster is the best backroad carver in the world regardless of price, and I’ve driven or owned a lot of other cars. Nothing comes close.

The 718 is the first non-Boxster Spyder. Now there’s an idea...
No, I have to disagree. I did quite a lot of reading and research this particular purchase and am enjoying the car. The little bit more is me looking at a set of aftermarket headers.

Originally Posted by AWay
Could give a hoot about strangers approval of my vehicles, it's all about the way they make me feel. The Spyder is the car I can't help but glance at even walking into the garage let alone the way I feel knowing I'm about to take it for a drive. I'm also thankful it doesn't have more power as it lets me enjoy the rev range and breadth of it's abilities on the road, something that's lacking in most modern cars. Everything is too fast these days, when people say this generation is a sweet spot I completely agree for so many reasons. Size, weight, power, looks, value. It ticks all the boxes for me.
This is well said and I agree.

Originally Posted by TMc993
You may be expecting too much from the general public. Porsche enthusiasts can look at a Porsche and cite line and verse about its lineage and special attributes. We get excited about a certain model or option package and love to discuss and explain them. That's not necessarily the case with the "average Joe."

They look at a row of 911s, 964s, 993s, 987s, 981s etc. and just see Porsches (Or Porches as I often hear in the Deep South). If you get any conversation at all, you may have someone tell you that, "Those cars are made with VW parts."

Just Tuesday, I was at my indy shop and there was a 930 Slant Nose Twin Turbo Cabriolet, one of only 600 imported, with 400,000 miles on it. I got all excited, pulled out my phone and was taking photos when this couple pulled up in a Audi. They got out, looked at the 911 as if it were a pile of dog crap not to step in and as they walked away, the woman sniffed, "What an ugly little car!"

In the end it doesn't really matter what others think...You have to take your pleasure where you find it and let others do the same.

Oh, here's the slant nose...

Love the slant nose cars! Used to have an 82 SC Coupe with full slant nose turbo body work.

Guys I didn't mean to come across as trolling which I realize now I probably did. lol I guess I've always thought that I had a pretty good taste in cars and maybe (unjustly) feel like others should agree. I bought the Spyder to keep. I love that it's rare, mid engine, 3 pedal and a convertible that looks great top up or down. I'm not disappointed in the car in anyway. Think of it as if you had all your friends over to watch your favorite and when the movie was over none of them really cared for it. It's still your favorite movie but you kind of thought they would like it too.

Originally Posted by ekam
Should've bought a Lambo!
Got one!

Old 10-07-2020, 10:54 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

What part of the country do you live? I had a 2011 Spyder for a year or so. I literally could not go anywhere without someone commenting or giving a thumbs up. I think that the 987 Spyder is the best looking of the three, but YMMV. Such a great car.

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
I've been an owner of my first Boxster for exactly one month. I've owned 13 Porsche's over the years prior, from 914's to 993 Turbos. The Boxster is really a great car and while I don't even have 500 miles yet I've enjoyed every drive. This model is a 987 Spyder and I feel it's really a nice looking car from any angle be it top up or top down. Performance isn't earth shattering but it's quick enough to be a fun car to drive. Sure I'd like to have a little more but not disappointed by any means. This really isn't hedline news as it's been said before by countless owners. The part I wasn't expecting is how the public sees the car. There is little to no interest in it from others. There's been no small talk at gas stations or random parking lot comments. Definitely no cell phone pics and even at our small town Cars & Coffee, only a few people asked about it. One guy asking if his girlfriend could sit in it as they were looking for a car for her and another guy asking what exactly it was a the rear script only reads "Spyder". The words Boxster Spyder had barely escaped my lips when he just said "oh" and turned and walked away. Another person standing not far from me when the car was on the dyno mentioned that it sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

I'm enjoying the car and that's all that matters and I realize it's not a Carrera GT and I didn't buy it looking for anyone's approval, but I'm surprised really based on all the other P cars I've owned how mundane it is in the community.
The following users liked this post:
MattUF (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 12:22 AM
Mansu944
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I’ve got a 987.1, I’ve only owned a 951 before this and I love it. It’s no rocket but it’s able to get you in trouble no problem. I love everything about it.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:26 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

It must be the Spyder - my base model gets a lot of attention. It's rare that I'm out in it when I don't get a compliment... but mine is white, and I think that's really the best color for a Boxster.
CaymanCarver (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 12:33 AM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts

Last edited by scootr; 10-08-2020 at 12:53 AM.
Larry L (12-14-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 05:53 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,708 Likes on 650 Posts

Why are you worried about what other people think?
I do not care, you should not either.
If this is really the case, and you're not trolling, buy a BMW and give it donk wheels and a gold leaf wrap?
Or, a '69 Charger...
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
hacker-pschorr (10-14-2020), MattUF (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 05:54 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Should've bought a Lambo!

Last edited by ekam; 10-08-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:15 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

My experience has been the opposite. I've had several Boxsters alongside other Porsches over the years (911's and Panamera's), and I have to say that the Boxsters always seemed to get more than their share of attention. The current car is a base 981, but people stare at it, point to it, and when I happen to be stopped, often walk up and comment on it. And I live in an area where Porsches are fairly common.
Matador1 (11-17-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 08:17 AM
Zero SPF
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr
Yes, it is wrong.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:39 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.

You’re just not a Boxster person, you don’t love the car (“I’d like to have a little bit more”), and it shows — not that there’s anything wrong with that. People are attracted to the bond between car and driver, the aura. Those that love their Boxsters get plenty of thumbs up and compliments, exactly because they don’t care if they get them or not, and it shows. This coming from a long time Boxster addict.

To me the Boxster is the best backroad carver in the world regardless of price, and I’ve driven or owned a lot of other cars. Nothing comes close.

Last edited by hf1; 10-08-2020 at 08:43 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by hf1:
derevis (10-24-2020), manifold danger (10-08-2020), Matador1 (11-17-2020), swag (12-14-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:19 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

I live in the DC metro area and there are a ton of nice cars around- and still my Carrara White 981 BGTS got a TON of attention, almost every time I backed it out of the driveway.
swag (12-14-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:22 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

I have to agree. Part of what inspires people's reactions is the general sense of joy they see reflected in the car's driver. I loved every second of ownership of that car, and I'm sure it was written all over my face every time I drove it.
The following 3 users liked this post by manifold danger:
CaymanCarver (10-08-2020), scootr (10-08-2020), swag (12-14-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:19 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Could give a hoot about strangers approval of my vehicles, it's all about the way they make me feel. The Spyder is the car I can't help but glance at even walking into the garage let alone the way I feel knowing I'm about to take it for a drive. I'm also thankful it doesn't have more power as it lets me enjoy the rev range and breadth of it's abilities on the road, something that's lacking in most modern cars. Everything is too fast these days, when people say this generation is a sweet spot I completely agree for so many reasons. Size, weight, power, looks, value. It ticks all the boxes for me.

Last edited by AWay; 10-08-2020 at 10:42 AM.
swag (12-14-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:20 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

You may be expecting too much from the general public. Porsche enthusiasts can look at a Porsche and cite line and verse about its lineage and special attributes. We get excited about a certain model or option package and love to discuss and explain them. That's not necessarily the case with the "average Joe."

They look at a row of 911s, 964s, 993s, 987s, 981s etc. and just see Porsches (Or Porches as I often hear in the Deep South). If you get any conversation at all, you may have someone tell you that, "Those cars are made with VW parts."

Just Tuesday, I was at my indy shop and there was a 930 Slant Nose Twin Turbo Cabriolet, one of only 600 imported, with 400,000 miles on it. I got all excited, pulled out my phone and was taking photos when this couple pulled up in a Audi. They got out, looked at the 911 as if it were a pile of dog crap not to step in and as they walked away, the woman sniffed, "What an ugly little car!"

In the end it doesn't really matter what others think...You have to take your pleasure where you find it and let others do the same.

Oh, here's the slant nose...

The following 2 users liked this post by TMc993:
manifold danger (10-08-2020), Matador1 (11-17-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:56 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

As response posts to the OP have shown, there's quite a variation in response.

My personal experiences, as a previous owner of a 981 BGTS and now a 981 Spyder:

Went to a local "cars and coffee" event when I got the Spyder. Guess who was the most interested in the Spyder? A guy with an F430. And the dude with the most disdain for it? He had a GT3. The 911 guys I've chatted with locally seem way into their cars and it's almost like they need to put down anything that's not a 911 as inferior. Doesn't take a psychiatrist to see a lot of insecurity bubbling over. Have two colleagues that a P-car guys and both really liked my Spyder (one with a GT4 and the other with a Panamera). Unfortunately, my local experiences have mostly soured me on other Porsche guys in the area.

As for the general public, the Spyder gets plenty of (mostly positive) attention. Had a gal come up to me at a gas station and ask if my car was a lot of fun and, in one of the very few instances in my life where I was able to come up with a witty retort on the spot, told her that the only place you can have more fun is in the bedroom. Had a VW GTI pull up at a stoplight and a 20-something called over "You know it's a VW, right?" to which I replied "VW makes a flat 6???"

I'm getting old enough now that I just don't care one way or the other. Just want to get out and carve up the twisties near where I live and get that goofy grin on my face that happens every time I get it up above 5K rpm.....
Morbo (11-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Not a lot of love for the Boxster.