Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a lot of love for the Boxster.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 09:21 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me give you some inspiration...

That's what I'm talkin' about. Very nicely integrated into the roll hoops.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:34 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by destroid
Hmm ... I get compliments on the Spyder from women of all ages and plenty of thumbs up from Porsche enthusiasts who know it is special.
Also have deleted the Boxster badge but plenty of Porsche branding remains. Maybe add some pop with stripes/paint/wrap/wheels.
I've never seen the mirrors not body color? Was that an option on your car?

Originally Posted by MattUF
I've had a lot of people comment on my '11 Spyder (including a guy at a grocery store telling another "Look at that Ferrari!" when I have the PORSCHE side stripes ). I did a track day with the Maverick (Dallas/Ft worth) region and must've had 15 or more people walk by and tell me some variation of "that's a special car" and "don't ever sell it". Driving it back from CA to TX when I bought it, I got pulled over for going 7 over outside of Marfa and when I stopped the trooper said, "man, when I saw your car I thought you were going to punch it and leave me behind!", luckily we chatted for a bit and he let me off with a warning.

All that being said, if no one said a word to me about it I still wouldn't mind. It's a car that I always stop and linger a little longer to look at it when I'm coming/going in the garage, and I've owned it over a year now. I added fabspeed catless headers and a softronic tune, and the sound is intoxicating while the extra power is a nice plus. I find myself making up reasons to go drive it, or taking the long way when I could just as easily take the interstate and get to my destination faster. I absolutely love the car and the plan is to keep it forever.
My plans are to keep the car as well. Have to ask, isn't it pretty loud with no cats? I'm looking at getting a set of catted headers but have been hesitant as I worry about it being to loud.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:38 PM
oachs83
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m in South central Minnesota and my 987.2 (Cayman) gets a fair amount of looks and thumbs up and everything in between here. I’m in a town of about 60k people.

By far the three most questions I get always are

What do you do for a living?
How much did that cost?
How fast does it go?

One of the funnier comments I didn’t even get to hear is when I pulled up to a local watering hole and went inside. The bartender came from outside and said to me a couple sitting out there just asked her about me. They asked if the guy that got out of that Porsche was house watching and did he take their car out? She said no it was mine and they were surprised(I’m in my mid 30’s) I had a car like that.

You can pull up between two $80k one ton pickups around here and be the one that gets gawked at. However I find myself always hitting the scenic byways and looking for open roads to cruise and search to be alone on the road. I will stay up too late and then go drive my car through the city when it’s quiet and peaceful to hear the car work.

Last weekend I took a six hour loop to Stillwater down along the Mississippi (Between MN and WI) back through Rochester and then home because I can’t stop driving this thing. I bought it to drive and hate that I have to store it in Winter
The following 2 users liked this post by oachs83:
Quix (10-09-2020), SeanPatrick31 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 11:57 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oachs83
I’m in South central Minnesota and my 987.2 (Cayman) gets a fair amount of looks and thumbs up and everything in between here. I’m in a town of about 60k people.

By far the three most questions I get always are

What do you do for a living?
How much did that cost?
How fast does it go?

One of the funnier comments I didn’t even get to hear is when I pulled up to a local watering hole and went inside. The bartender came from outside and said to me a couple sitting out there just asked her about me. They asked if the guy that got out of that Porsche was house watching and did he take their car out? She said no it was mine and they were surprised(I’m in my mid 30’s) I had a car like that.

You can pull up between two $80k one ton pickups around here and be the one that gets gawked at. However I find myself always hitting the scenic byways and looking for open roads to cruise and search to be alone on the road. I will stay up too late and then go drive my car through the city when it’s quiet and peaceful to hear the car work.

Last weekend I took a six hour loop to Stillwater down along the Mississippi (Between MN and WI) back through Rochester and then home because I can’t stop driving this thing. I bought it to drive and hate that I have to store it in Winter
So great to hear that perspective from a “younger” Pcar aficionado—awesome! I live in the PNW and am fortunate to be able to drive my 981 BS year round—except those days it’s pouring down rain. I don’t know if I COULD put it away for the winter! My wife and I took an 8 hour round trip run from SW WA where I live this past weekend to wine country in Walla Walla WA and ripping around on the back roads outside Walla Walla was awesome. Top was down the entire ride. Quite a few compliments on that trip. I can’t see myself selling this car for quite some time, if ever. Adding to the “stable” yes, but hanging on to the 981.

And that’s so true about being surrounded by $80k one ton pickups—tons of them out here—and yet people don’t bat an eye!

The following users liked this post:
oachs83 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:39 AM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Well if you’re used to driving a yellow Lamborghini...yeah I guess a white Spyder flies under the radar by comparison.

Today a guy complimented my Cayman and said he had a GT4 but preferred his old 987 and regretted selling it. That’s the kind of attention I like!

Last edited by sectachrome; 10-09-2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:03 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
Exactly the same around here.

That may be so, but it does have a pair of these.
Sweet!!

A black Gallardo was one of two cars that has been able to keep up with my Viper. We were neck and neck!
Exhilarating driving on the edge!!

Old 10-09-2020, 11:23 AM
destroid
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
I've never seen the mirrors not body color? Was that an option on your car?
New mirror caps painted Guards Red by a body shop. I’m sure much cheaper than CXX from Porsche to get that 997 GT3RS look.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The Spyder seems to get the most attention at car shows with car people present. Some still don’t know what it is and inquire about the red hook attachment points. Others immediately know what it is and gravitate to it immediately. While it’s not nearly as eye catchy as a Ferrari or Lambo it does still get plenty of interest when I’m stopped or even on the road. To date my favorite interaction came when I exited a very tight on ramp at speeds well above the posted limit of the highway. As I entered the highway I looked over at the car in the middle lane as I was passing him and he had a huge grin on his face and gave me a big thumbs up.

Enjoy the car, enjoy the drive and the experience it provides. The rest doesn’t really matter.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (10-11-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 04:56 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

A large segment of society still buy certain cars for a status symbol, bragging rights at C&C and for being validated by "enthusiasts". I am quite certain you don't belong to that category. So why do you even care that no one recognizes your spyder. As someone who's had the opportunity to drive some of the very best that Zuffenhausen has to offer from 1970 through 2011 I can tell you that the 987.2 spyder is a milestone model. Something that you already knew.
The following 2 users liked this post by w00tPORSCHE:
scootr (10-10-2020), Turbo Jonny (10-27-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 06:55 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 363 Posts

I never longed for a Boxster back when they first came out. I’d been a lifelong 911 guy. In the intervening years, I’ve now owned 2 Boxster variants and currently a Cayman S. None of them have gotten much attention but I don’t care. The platform is simply sublime. On track it is so catchable right at the limit. Feel the back end come out because you approach a turn a bit too hot? No problem. A little countersteer and all is well. It’s absolutely amazing. I don’t have a desire to track a 911 variant...well ok a GT3RS might be fun, but the Cayman S I have now is such a giant killer car on track, and the 981 Spyder puts such smiles on my face with street driving, that I don’t care if anyone else notices them. What’s surprised me is how many comments this 89 Carrera in mint condition gets. Each time I take it out at least 1 person wants to talk about it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mark Dreyer:
d90spyder (10-11-2020), manifold danger (10-11-2020), MattUF (10-11-2020), Turbo Jonny (10-27-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Budman#1
5th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

When my plain old 2008 987.1 Cayman was new, 13 years ago, and I went to a cars and coffee or other car type event, it drew a lot of looks, positive comments and even picture taking. I still have it BUT, even though it's in excellent condition, now it's barely looked at as the crowd wanders by. The only comments come from some who own a similar year and model because they like to compare. I get it. It's not the newest/latest thing any more. And I'm fine with that. It's still the most fun car I've ever owned and I enjoy it every time I drive it. I don't have car envy and don't aspire to spending my retirement fund on the latest and greatest. I do still love mine though and hope to own it at least another 13 years. I own it for me, not for someone else to oooo and aaaahh over it.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:25 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Colour matters! With my old 986, I got comments because it looked ready to race even on the street! My 987 gets comments 'cuz it's SPEED YELLOW !

The following 3 users liked this post by NewArt:
CaymanCarver (10-11-2020), deilenberger (10-10-2020), kludger (12-15-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 10:11 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

My base Boxster gets more looks and thumbs up than my Cayenne Turbo S lol
Old 10-10-2020, 11:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast
My base Boxster gets more looks and thumbs up than my Cayenne Turbo S lol
Same thing here (but my Cayenne is only the 500HP model..) No one ever really looks at it (which is fine with me 'cause I can go really fast in it and cops never give it a second look..)

Old 10-11-2020, 01:06 AM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 21 Posts

I logged 205 miles today in the Spyder. My brother in his 981 S and nephew in the XJS. Beautiful fall colors and great country roads. Still loving the car.

The following 7 users liked this post by gandalfthegray.:
Bubbabuzz (10-13-2020), CaymanCarver (10-11-2020), d90spyder (10-11-2020), kludger (12-15-2020), manifold danger (10-11-2020), MattUF (10-11-2020), SeanPatrick31 (10-11-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Not a lot of love for the Boxster.