Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 12:22 PM
xenonjh
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rob,

Happy New Year and Very nice to meet you.

I'm in the process of installing the Sports Chrono Package on a Porsche Boxster 981 2014, I'm going to get the activation code later today and then activate it using Piwis2.

One thing I wanted to clarify is that you mention a switch in the forum, do I need to get the complete switch assembly that includes the sport plus option or is just one button any guidance you can give me will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Old 01-07-2021, 05:36 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by xenonjh
Hi Rob,

I'm in the process of installing the Sports Chrono Package on a Porsche Boxster 981 2014, I'm going to get the activation code later today and then activate it using Piwis2.

One thing I wanted to clarify is that you mention a switch in the forum, do I need to get the complete switch assembly that includes the sport plus option or is just one button any guidance you can give me will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Were you able to code it successfully?
Old 01-12-2021, 05:21 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by xenonjh
Hi Rob,

Thank you,

Where do you get the activation code? I have a buddy with a PIWIS that I believe can help me with the coding. I have a manual 981S, will it get me rev-match and more exhaust crackles and pops like my sport chrono brethren?

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 01-12-2021, 05:58 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on where to find these codes...
Old 03-25-2022, 12:18 AM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Activation code

Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet
hey any success getting the activation codes for piwis to enable sports chrono ?

thanks in advance ,
Heiko
Old 06-05-2022, 03:10 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fvazgarcia
hi, can you share how to obtain the code? Also, is this something a newbie can do?
Originally Posted by RGS
Where do you get the activation code? I have a buddy with a PIWIS that I believe can help me with the coding. I have a manual 981S, will it get me rev-match and more exhaust crackles and pops like my sport chrono brethren?
Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet
Originally Posted by Pinkawa
hey any success getting the activation codes for piwis to enable sports chrono ?

thanks in advance ,
Heiko
For those looking for a Sport Chrono activation code, I had some luck using this site - https://codefastbuy.com/shop.php

MAJOR CAVEAT - I already had Sport Chrono installed and I used the code generated by this site to re-activate it after changing my center console switch panel in order to add a PSE button. This is part of the steps outlined in the official Porsche install instructions and service manual. I cannot guarantee that their codes will work for a Chrono retrofit, but the price was reasonable enough that I took a swing to see if it would work for my purposes. Since the dealer was going to charge me $300/hr to code my PSE button (a 10 minute job if they know what they're doing) in order to use the OFFICIAL chrono enabling code I was given (but only via the PCSS system at dealerships) when I bought the switch panel, I saved $250 doing it myself. YMMV, of course.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:15 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Sport Plus - PCM / CDR Plus / CDR

I have a 2014 Cayman S, and have been playing around with my PIWIS 2.

I already added a Sports Chrono and have the additional menus activated in the Instrument Panel; however I've been unable to activate Sport Plus. I am wondering if it's because my car has the basic CDR31. Does anyone have a 981 with Sport Plus active with just the CDR31?

I am starting to wonder if Sport Plus can only be activated with the PCM ('NAV') radio... or perhaps with the rather rare CDR +

Can anyone verify this supposition?

Old 06-07-2022, 11:10 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob's-981S
I have a 2014 Cayman S, and have been playing around with my PIWIS 2.

I already added a Sports Chrono and have the additional menus activated in the Instrument Panel; however I've been unable to activate Sport Plus. I am wondering if it's because my car has the basic CDR31. Does anyone have a 981 with Sport Plus active with just the CDR31?

I am starting to wonder if Sport Plus can only be activated with the PCM ('NAV') radio... or perhaps with the rather rare CDR +

Can anyone verify this supposition?
I have not activated the sports plus myself but have been following several threads and IMO the most detailed is by @Visual “981 Sport Chrono Retrofit part 2:software side”. I know that the sport chrono package for the CDR is option 639 and the sport chrono package plus is for the PCM and is option 640. To activate the full function Sport Plus, less the dynamic engine mounts, for a 981 you will need to purchase a hacked code tied to your vin.
Jim
Old 06-08-2022, 12:10 AM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jim... I think you just hit the nail on the head!

I purchased a hacked code but was trying to activate Package 640, not 639. That's probably why I couldn't get it t activate...

I also just researched 639 and see that it is indeed for the non-PCM vehicles, and definitely DOES support the Sport Plus button. So assuming my code is a good one; it should work.

Can't wait to pull the PIWIS out tomorrow night and try again!

BTW... next 'hack' on my agenda is to see if coding the ECU as 'GTS' actually unlocks the extra 15 ponies over the 'S'. I note from researching used ECUs on eBay etc., both the S and the GTS use precisely the same Part Number / Software Version etc.... so I gotta think its just a map selection rather than a different 'fixed' program.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rob's-981S:
Jim981CS (06-08-2022), RGS (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 09:14 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks Jim... I think you just hit the nail on the head!

I purchased a hacked code but was trying to activate Package 640, not 639. That's probably why I couldn't get it t activate...

I also just researched 639 and see that it is indeed for the non-PCM vehicles, and definitely DOES support the Sport Plus button. So assuming my code is a good one; it should work.

Can't wait to pull the PIWIS out tomorrow night and try again!

BTW... next 'hack' on my agenda is to see if coding the ECU as 'GTS' actually unlocks the extra 15 ponies over the 'S'. I note from researching used ECUs on eBay etc., both the S and the GTS use precisely the same Part Number / Software Version etc.... so I gotta think its just a map selection rather than a different 'fixed' program.
I installed the Sport Chrono clock on my 2014CS and installed the sport plus switch when I installed my Suncoast PSE so I only need to purchase a hacked SC activation code. So far I have been unsuccessful finding an Indy or member with PIWIS in central Ohio that could code the sport plus. My age and lack of computer skills and indecisiveness have kept me from purchasing a PIWIS system. I would still be using Windows 95 if they still supported it. 😆

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF AN INDY OR MEMBER IN THE CENTRAL OHIO AREA THAT HAS A PIWIS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW,

I already have headers and Cobb with PDK flash so I already have most of the sport plus benefits so SC activation is not a priority but would still like to do it. Your theory on the GTS activation is interesting and am sure others would like to know the outcome.
Jim
Old 06-08-2022, 11:26 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

It appears you are only missing the ability for SC to dumb down PSM which IMO is almost as important as the Sport+ PDK shift points which you get with Cobb.
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 02:00 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 216 Posts

I am following this thread as well, but I have a base CDR stereo, I think I am out of luck or would the 639 code work for me?
Old 06-08-2022, 02:12 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

I'm planning on checking things tonight and will let you know. The only question in my mind is whether of not I have a 'good' code...

I may just buy one from another source if the trick of changing to 639 fails again
Old 06-10-2022, 12:16 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

So... I tried changing between 640 and 639 and attempted to activate Sport Chrono / Sport Plus with my code in both 'After Sales' and 'Developer' modes.

NO luck. Every attempt to input and save the code ends with this option shown as 'OFF': and I cannot change status.

I then tried some random codes to see what happens, and I got exactly the same result. This suggests the code I had might not be good.

I decided the shell out some more money and buy another code from a well-known vendor advertising on eBay and Facebook... they came back with the SAME code. So now I am wondering if:
  1. Their decoding tool might be wrong
  2. I have somehow screwed up the activation process (although I have reset things and tried several times
  3. Perhaps Porsche simply locked-out this option via some kind of hard-coding

I need to say however that I have NO problems with the Sport Chrono I added or the extra menus that now come up in the third gauge... it's just that I seem unable to active the Sport Plus button.

I'm a bit frustrated and pretty much out of ideas at this point... other that buying a PCM3.1 and trying to force it that way. But that's a bunch of dollars, especially if it doesn't work.

Can anyone offer other suggestions? Thank you
Old 06-11-2022, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

So... I tried changing between 640 and 639 and attempted to activate Sport Chrono / Sport Plus with my code in both 'After Sales' and 'Developer' modes.

NO luck. Every attempt to input and save the code ends with this option shown as 'OFF': and I cannot change status.

I then tried some random codes to see what happens, and I got exactly the same result. This suggests the code I had might not be good.

I decided the shell out some more money and buy another code from a well-known vendor advertising on eBay and Facebook... they came back with the SAME code. So now I am wondering if:
  1. Their decoding tool might be wrong
  2. I have somehow screwed up the activation process (although I have reset things and tried several times
  3. Perhaps Porsche simply locked-out this option via some kind of hard-coding

I need to say however that I have NO problems with the Sport Chrono I added or the extra menus that now come up in the third gauge... it's just that I seem unable to active the Sport Plus button.

I'm a bit frustrated and pretty much out of ideas at this point... other that buying a PCM3.1 and trying to force it that way. But that's a bunch of dollars, especially if it doesn't work.

Can anyone offer other suggestions? Thank you
Some additional data that may or may not be helpful...I decided to try purchasing a code to enable Sport Plus on my car, which has PCM3.1. I enabled 640 under the maintenance of vehicle data menu and tried entering the code in the PCM and A/C units. However, it seems to only have worked with the PCM. I had the same result with the option showing "off" every time I tired to use in the A/C unit. (Along with the same result when with trying a random code).

So I don't think your issue is CDR vs. PCM or 640 vs. 639 since the same thing happens to me. I'm hesitant to try buying a code from a different vendor given your experience of getting the same code from multiple vendors.

I'm wondering as far as your #3 speculation, could it be related to the PIWIS version used? Maybe they locked it out in newer versions? I have two versions, 38.400 and 40.900. 38.400 is the one that behaved exactly as you described. I also tried with 40.900, and while it didn't work either, it came back with “function expired” with the code I purchased, and with random code, returned an error (something like value out of range). So I'm wondering if getting ahold of an older version of PIWIS 3 (37.xxx) might be different? What version are you using?

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package