Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped Door Panel - DIY Time!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 10:01 PM
PBG
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
Jeeze!! That is the most extreme door panel warping out there. Damm!

An auto upholstery shop local to me has done quite a few of these. The driver side door panel on my 2013 981 had lifted about 3/8 inch in the middle when I removed the panel and took it to the shop. They use a urethane adhesive similar to what is used to install windscreens. They rough up both the plastic base and the foam underside before gluing it down under pressure. So far it is much, much better. Not perfect but "acceptable". This is such a black eye on Porsche. I'm amazed they haven't spoken up about what causes this and what they have (or have not) done to correct it.
They haven't spoken up because the problem doesn't exist. Right? It's only in people's imagination or they have done something to cause it if it's failing.. It's not Porsche's fault. Kinda like the micro cracks in the headlights, "What did you do Mr Customer!? Have you used some kind of product that caused this!? This can't be any fault of ours or of our product material. That just isn't possible, we are Porsche and that simply doesn't happen."

I have the pleasure of having both micro crack headlight assemblies and warping door panels.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Paul Quilter
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Any update on how your panels have held up over the heat of the last few months?
The following users liked this post:
calvin aprildo (11-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 05:48 PM
PRNDL
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

After the fix, mine hasn't gotten any worse. It's not as good as it left the factory but it's not terrible. Replacing the door panel is on my to-do list for.... someday.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:15 PM
Peterstp
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, anyone who has get this fix done at pedrosgarage.com?
would like to get pictures from anyone that has send their doorpanel to get them fixed by pedros garage, I live in Sweden and to send panels to America now is not a option.

regards
Peter
CaymanCarver (12-16-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 08:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by MCPorsche987S
Nice job! If the adhesive ever fails on the tape, you could try this 3M product also. Stickiest stuff made on earth. I used it to hold down some stretched leather over the gauge cluster on a Cayman when it came up one time.

The strongest adhesive I have ever found is 3M-5200 Marine adhesive. People have attached parts to boats using it where the boat had to be destroyed to remove the part. It's very commonly used on keels - usually weighing 600-1,000lbs, with heavy side forces exerted on them whenever a boat is sailed near to the wind. I rather suspect the foam backing of the panel will fail before the adhesives will, and it might be worth looking into how to remove that foam backing and get to a solid surface.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...-Sealant-5200/
kludger (12-15-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 10:34 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Isn't the whole problem that the airbag needs to come up through that gap when it deploys? That's why its not glued there from the factory. The airbag needs to be able to blow the panel out at the top so the side curtain can come up over the window.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:24 PM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

It is glued from the factory - just poorly. The glue is between the soft foam layer and the black plastic shell substrate. That bond is the one that has failed and can be repaired.

As for the airbag, obviously everyone is going to need to make their own decision on what they're comfortable with. Some will only accept factory replacement, others, like myself are perfectly comfortable with rebonding the foam. The airbag does not deploy between the foam and plastic substrate, rather it blows inward the whole assembly - plastic, foam, the whole shebang. Nothing short of stout metal straps and bolts is going to hold the force of an airbag in, really. And even then, my worry would be more about the danger of flying shrapnel rather than actually restraining the bag from deploying. The force in those things is absolutely enormous. The foam and plastic are practically "not there" relative to the forces involved here, in my opinion.

Last edited by nb1234; 12-17-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Viper pilot (12-16-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 09:01 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 171 Posts

Pedro says (in his video) the German govt. implemented rules that require Porsche to use water based glues for the door panels and the headliner ..thus the reason they de-laminate over time.
He also talks plenty about the airbag deployment ..and demos the removal of the door panel exposing the airbag unit.

The only thing missing from his presentation is an example of the final result of his repair process.
It certainly sounds like the next best thing to a replacement panel from Porsche.

Paiceyfan (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 09:15 AM
LeeMarks
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Pedro’s work is first class!
Had both of my doors done by his shop and they have held up fine thru a southern summer.
Turn around time is very quick, and he guarantees his work for as long as you own the car.
i don’t usually recommend services on forum, but I have no qualms about sending folks his way!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:27 AM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeMarks
Had both of my doors done by his shop and they have held up fine thru a southern summer.
Turn around time is very quick, and he guarantees his work for as long as you own the car.
i don’t usually recommend services on forum, but I have no qualms about sending folks his way!
Same here...did a wonderful job on both my doors...look like new now.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:40 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeMarks
Originally Posted by Paiceyfan
Same here...did a wonderful job on both my doors...look like new now.
Sounds like it went well so thanks for the response.
But you know how it goes.. pics or it didn't happen.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:08 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Sounds like it went well so thanks for the response.
But you know how it goes.. pics or it didn't happen.
Well, the doors were unsightly when they were bad, so I didn't take a photo, so no 'proof', really...LOL
Old 03-11-2021, 05:56 PM
Bellazena1
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume that PORSCHE as is usual will not accept any responsibility for this?
Old 03-11-2021, 06:57 PM
PBG
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellazena1
Of course. It’s a feature not a bug.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:57 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellazena1
some have had porsche replace under goodwill or during warranty (as they should) but others have been denied. Pedro's garage will fix them permanently for around $250-300

Quick Reply: Warped Door Panel - DIY Time!