Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE retrofitting: Is Sport Tailpipe mandatory??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 03:22 PM
erahm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks regarding the dealer programming. I still am not sure what this term Drone is referring to! What I would really like would be for any of you guys who purchased the PSE and still have the Instructions, to post that on this site. I may do the install myself with my son (ex motorcycle tech) and a very savvy friend who also has a lift.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:42 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by erahm
Thanks regarding the dealer programming. I still am not sure what this term Drone is referring to! What I would really like would be for any of you guys who purchased the PSE and still have the Instructions, to post that on this site. I may do the install myself with my son (ex motorcycle tech) and a very savvy friend who also has a lift.
"Drone" is a term used for this annoying, constant resonance of exhaust noise that tends to happen at a certain RPM range. Usually happens between mid to high 2000's and goes away at a higher range.

For the PSE installation instructions, see the very first post of this thread. You'll find a link there. The job shouldn't be too difficult without the electronics. A lift will be a huge help.
The following users liked this post:
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 03:44 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by erahm
Drone is a low base like tone that can cause an uncomfortable deafening, pulsating pressure like sensation in the ears. As stated, it can be very subjective and certain people can be more sensitive to certain tone frequencies than others. Its more noticeable typically cruising in high gear at lower RPM levels so the fix is to just drop down a gear and change the frequency. All I can tell you is I have had a few different aftermarket exhaust on a few different P cars over the years which all suffered from this to some extent, one much more than others but my PSE has zero drone according to my ears. But I also dont ever use the engine lugging 7th gear overdrive on my PDK car either, and rarely even get to 6th in most cases.

Last edited by ICNU; 09-09-2020 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:01 AM
Uwe999
7th Gear

I installed the PSE yesterday on my 2014 Cayman S - what a great sound.
I ordered 981-044-200-03 Sports Exhaust System Without Sport Tailpipes $1,807.82
from Sunsetporscheparts - took about 4 weeks to show up due to "some customs issues" ...
A previous post mentioned that you need to order the 981.111.280.00 clamp separately but it was included.
However, it didn't include 928.573.727.05 3-way distributing piece (Y-pipe) which is required to splice in the vacuum
line (for PDK it's 928.573.729.05 4-way distributing piece). They contacted Porsche and said it's normal for those
parts to not be included .... $13 for a little plastic part ...
Anyway, it was a good price without the extra button
and I'm glad I skipped that.
The PSE isn't too loud to drive through my residential neighborhood.
I'm wondering if I can turn off the PSE with an ODB2 tool for those few times I need it quiet?
Old 03-22-2021, 10:02 AM
ICNU
Pro

Originally Posted by Uwe999
I installed the PSE yesterday on my 2014 Cayman S - what a great sound.
I ordered 981-044-200-03 Sports Exhaust System Without Sport Tailpipes $1,807.82
from Sunsetporscheparts - took about 4 weeks to show up due to "some customs issues" ...
A previous post mentioned that you need to order the 981.111.280.00 clamp separately but it was included.
However, it didn't include 928.573.727.05 3-way distributing piece (Y-pipe) which is required to splice in the vacuum
line (for PDK it's 928.573.729.05 4-way distributing piece). They contacted Porsche and said it's normal for those
parts to not be included .... $13 for a little plastic part ...

Anyway, it was a good price without the extra button and I'm glad I skipped that.
The PSE isn't too loud to drive through my residential neighborhood.
I'm wondering if I can turn off the PSE with an ODB2 tool for those few times I need it quiet?
The PSE valves are mechanical vacuum valves and can only be switched from quiet to sport mode by having either the factory switch setup, or some sort of aftermarket remote switch activation installed. Your post seems to indicate you didn't install the switch, so yours will be in "always on" mode if this is the case. The OBD port has nothing to do with any of this, and has no control of the exhaust
Old 03-22-2021, 01:27 PM
Uwe999
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ICNU
The PSE valves are mechanical vacuum valves and can only be switched from quiet to sport mode by having either the factory switch setup, or some sort of aftermarket remote switch activation installed. Your post seems to indicate you didn't install the switch, so yours will be in "always on" mode if this is the case. The OBD port has nothing to do with any of this, and has no control of the exhaust
Correct. I was thinking about the "track nanny" that can override the PSE setting based on GPS location
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ontroller.html

I was under the false impression that the track nanny plugs into the ODB port and overrides the setting that way.
After rereading the thread it seems like an additional switch is installed in the engine bay to override the vacuum valve controller.
This one shows more detail
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post15644179

If I really need a "button" to turn off the PSE I'll probably just go with the remote control option.
Thanks for the clarification, that helped me clear up my confusion ;-)

Old 03-22-2021, 02:03 PM
ICNU
Pro

Originally Posted by Uwe999
Correct. I was thinking about the "track nanny" that can override the PSE setting based on GPS location
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ontroller.html

I was under the false impression that the track nanny plugs into the ODB port and overrides the setting that way.
After rereading the thread it seems like an additional switch is installed in the engine bay to override the vacuum valve controller.
This one shows more detail
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post15644179

If I really need a "button" to turn off the PSE I'll probably just go with the remote control option.
Thanks for the clarification, that helped me clear up my confusion ;-)
Yep, that is just a track hack device that will open the main vacuum solenoid in the engine bay when in certain GPS locations, typically used for tracks with certain sound limitations. I'm assuming you dont even have the vacuum solenoid or any of the vacuum plumbing connected up at this point? If so then your only option would be to physically wire the two valves shut temporarily if needed. Just an FYI though, as there was a member here who did some testing doing this and there was a heat and performance change that could be detected on the dyno, so it appears that there is a reason Porsche has designed the ECU to open the valves automatically when the engine is within a certain RPM and engine load threshold, even if the driver has the PSE disabled by the switch at the time

Last edited by ICNU; 03-22-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:28 PM
sfrt
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Just want to thank you for this thread! This is something I’m considering for my base cayman (currently I have the unfortunate oval/USB-c style tailpipe!).

I too am not a big fan of drone and am also interested in having the button hooked up despite the increased cost.

Suncoast currently has this for $2,050 plus $525 for the tip. I may actually opt for the Soul X-Pipe tip on this and would be curious if anyone else has this combo especially on the base 2.7L engine.

It’s on my wish list ... hopefully I can make it happen this season.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:32 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sfrt
Just want to thank you for this thread! This is something I’m considering for my base cayman (currently I have the unfortunate oval/USB-c style tailpipe!).

I too am not a big fan of drone and am also interested in having the button hooked up despite the increased cost.

Suncoast currently has this for $2,050 plus $525 for the tip. I may actually opt for the Soul X-Pipe tip on this and would be curious if anyone else has this combo especially on the base 2.7L engine.

Not really the same I guess, but I installed the Soul valved exhaust recently on my base 2.7L, and the sound open and closed is just outstanding.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:45 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

You may be able to save some $ by finding someone who upgraded to an x pipe that wants to get rid of their stock dual tips. I bought the PSE from Suncoast sans tip and bought ICNU's tips for $200.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:55 PM
Uwe999
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ICNU
Yep, that is just a track hack device that will open the main vacuum solenoid in the engine bay when in certain GPS locations, typically used for tracks with certain sound limitations. I'm assuming you dont even have the vacuum solenoid or any of the vacuum plumbing connected up at this point? If so then your only option would be to physically wire the two valves shut temporarily if needed. Just an FYI though, as there was a member here who did some testing doing this and there was a heat and performance change that could be detected on the dyno, so it appears that there is a reason Porsche has designed the ECU to open the valves automatically when the engine is within a certain RPM and engine load threshold, even if the driver has the PSE disabled by the switch at the time
No, I haven't open up the engine bay yet, I'm still waiting for that missing Y-adapter piece to arrive.
Thanks for the tip about the potential heat issue, I didn't think about that. It could be a problem if I track the car at Laguna Seca and shut the PSE off completely. But usually it doesn't get too hot there
Old 03-22-2021, 07:32 PM
sfrt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sectachrome
You may be able to save some $ by finding someone who upgraded to an x pipe that wants to get rid of their stock dual tips. I bought the PSE from Suncoast sans tip and bought ICNU's tips for $200.
Yep, if the right set of pipes is available I’d consider that option!
Old 03-22-2021, 07:35 PM
sfrt
Intermediate

I’d be interested in hearing from others about their labour cost on installing PSE whether or not the switch was hooked up, or other similar installs like the Soul. I just had a dealer quote me $2,700 for labour (full install with the switch) which seemed higher than I was expecting. Any idea if any programming or anything is required that only a dealer can do?
Also curious - is this something that could be mostly home installed and then taken to a pro for anything remaining (e.g. dealer
programming?).
Old 03-22-2021, 10:40 PM
Visual
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts

I’d be interested in hearing from others about their labour cost on installing PSE whether or not the switch was hooked up, or other similar installs like the Soul. I just had a dealer quote me $2,700 for labour (full install with the switch) which seemed higher than I was expecting. Any idea if any programming or anything is required that only a dealer can do?
Also curious - is this something that could be mostly home installed and then taken to a pro for anything remaining (e.g. dealer
programming?).
Big part of that labor is going to be them running the wiring into the cabin (lots of disassembly of trim, removal of seats, etc.) and running the vacuum lines to the engine. If you do all that yourself, I imagine they shouldn't charge you more than an hour of labor for programming.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:58 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

programming?).
Labor from the dealer for a full PSE install including button on my 987 was about $1500. I can’t imagine a 981 is much different.

Quick Reply: PSE retrofitting: Is Sport Tailpipe mandatory??