Sponsored by:

Track Nanny gps PSE Controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 02:22 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Track Nanny gps PSE Controller

Most of the relevant info is on this thread, but it is closed: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ontroller.html

If you want to make 90 to 92 dB sound at Laguna Seca, or any other sound restricted track for that matter, you need one of these track-nanny-gps-pse-controller. The cost is $475 within CONUS US. You will also receive all the parts needed for the install. They work.....there is also another unit from "alexshop" in Fremont, CA. Alexshop sells their units ($395) as "shop installed", which means a 600 mile round trip for me, to Fremont, CA, roughly 6 hours.

I have recently been to Laguna Seca for DE and TT with 90dB sound restrictions. Both of the above units were represented, both worked. Track Nanny was on a 2014 GT3 with a consolidate turn out pipe with a baffle, the alexshop unit was in a GT4, no turnouts.

Budget 3 hours for the labor....lots of interior panels need to come off in the installation process.
The following users liked this post:
JlewGt3 (03-11-2021)
Old 03-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Sad to say...

With this damn COVID Virus, I don't know if I'll be getting back to Laguna Seca in 2020, maybe September. No way I am sitting in a driver's meeting.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:40 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Update: Track Nanny @ Laguna Seca 20 June

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Most of the relevant info is on this thread, but it is closed: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ontroller.html

If you want to make 90 to 92 dB sound at Laguna Seca, or any other sound restricted track for that matter, you need one of these track-nanny-gps-pse-controller. The cost is $475 within CONUS US. You will also receive all the parts needed for the install. They work.....there is also another unit from "alexshop" in Fremont, CA. Alexshop sells their units ($395) as "shop installed", which means a 600 mile round trip for me, to Fremont, CA, roughly 6 hours.

I have recently been to Laguna Seca for DE and TT with 90dB sound restrictions. Both of the above units were represented, both worked. Track Nanny was on a 2014 GT3 with a consolidate turn out pipe with a baffle, the alexshop unit was in a GT4, no turnouts.

Budget 3 hours for the labor....lots of interior panels need to come off in the installation process.
UPDATE: Just back from a 1 day 92 dB event at Laguna Seca with CA Central Coast Region PCA. The organizers of the event made certain that it was fully compliant with State of CA and County of Monterey regulations re. COVID-19.

This was the first opportunity for me and my pal Steve to check out our recently installed Track Nanny units. Those who have run Laguna Seca in the past know, the Sound Shack is midway between Turn 5 and Turn 6. On a 92 dB day, when your car exceeds 94 dB (They give you a 2 dB cushion), you get a "Meatball" flag and must exit the track and report to start finish for a consultation. When you fail sound, that specific session is over for you. Fail 3X over the course of a day, or a weekend, and they (Track Management) will send you home. Considering that typical entry fees are $350 to $450 a day, getting a DQ is ominous. Get DQ'd on day 1 of a 3-day event, you are gone...no refunds. As a result, compliance with sound limits is imperative. In the past, in order to ensure I would pass sound on a 92 dB day, I'd get off the gas between Turn 5 and Turn 6, and as a consequence, I'd lose my momentum going up the hill, and close to 2 seconds a lap. I have run Laguna Seca on 105 dB weekends, and tested this hypothesis: I ran full tilt past the sound shack and was 2 seconds quicker. Being able to stay on the gas, and not have to worry about sound is a blessed relief.

Kudos to Track Nanny. Steve and I both drove full speed past the Sound Shack in our respective 2015 Cayman GTS cars, with Sport Exhaust, in the Sport + mode. We saw nary a "meatball" flag all day. When Track Nanny kicks in, based on the GPS coordinates of the sound shack, the Sport Exhaust baffles are closed. Neither one of us noticed any appreciable drop in performance. Once at a safe distance from the Sound Shack, the exhaust baffles are opened up....that lovely noise, to include the snap, "crack"*** and pop when decelerating is back. ***The sound is like "crack" to me, it's addicting.

So if you are considering running at any track**** where there is a sound limitation, consider Track Nanny.....Note:
Track Nanny only works on late model Porsche cars with Sport Exhaust, such as the GT3, GT4, 3.4 L Boxster S with Sport Exhaust, and the Cayman S, and GTS with Sport Exhaust. If you need to know if Track Nanny can be adopted fot your specific model, shoot Tom an e-mail.

****My Track Nanny was pre-programmed for Laguna Seca. No need for me to feed in GPS coordinates. It can be programmed for any track, anywhere.

Last edited by Martin S.; 06-22-2020 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JlewGt3 (03-10-2021)
Old 06-23-2020, 07:35 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Interesting. I guess it is overriding the Porsche programming and forcing the exhaust valve closed. Normally, even with sports exhaust turned off, it will open above 3500 rpm. Surprised it makes that much of a difference.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking It works!!!

Laguna Seca is 2 hours from my home...I consider it my home track. Many days of the year there is a 93 dB limit....the only way to make sound is to pedal up the hill past the sound shack, in Street Mode, RPMs below 5,000. That's how I passed sound before I had the Track Nanny installed.

With Track Nanny implemented, I can go full tilt past the Sound Shack, in Sport + and stay within the sound limits. As mentioned earlier Track Nanny only works on Porsche Sport Exhaust on later model cars.

I am headed back to Laguna Seca on August 22/23 with SPEEDSF. Knowing I will pass sound, I can't stay away. And finally, Track Nanny has worked for me personally, as well as two (2) track buddies having late model Porsche cars with Sport Exhaust.

It's 3:46 AM here on the West Coast...I had better get back to bed.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:08 AM
flipmeraz
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Where did you purchase the Track Nanny?
Old 08-09-2020, 02:28 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Purchase Track Nanny

From the designer and builder, Tom....tomatlarge@yahoo.com He is in the SF Bay Area.

I'll be trying it again on August 26th at Laguna Seca with the Checkered Flag Racing Association.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:45 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 129 Posts

From the designer and builder, Tom....tomatlarge@yahoo.com He is in the SF Bay Area.

I'll be trying it again on August 26th at Laguna Seca with the Checkered Flag Racing Association.
Completely agree. I installed it after switching to race headers and can easily make sound limit while at LRP (which can be quite restrictive) and used it to pass at Palmer Motorsports as well.

Tom was able to set the default programming to Lime Rock for me (instead of Laguna Seca).

I installed it myself in my track cayman and it is straightforward but as others have mentioned, it requires access to the top of the engine (easier in a stripped down car).

If you’re having trouble making sound (and have PSE) don’t hesitate!
Old 08-09-2020, 03:59 PM
flipmeraz
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you!
Old 06-29-2021, 04:00 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts

Know how to reach Tom?
I sent him an email a few days ago, no response.
Tried to send him a message but got;
Tom M'Guinn has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:12 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

PM sent.....
Old 07-01-2021, 04:26 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts

Thanks Martin, Tom's ok and responded today from his yahoo address listed above.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Good to hear

He is a super bright guy, very helpful if the need arises!!!
Old 07-01-2021, 09:18 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Martin, sorry to nitpick, but that org is not Checkered Flag Racing Association (which has been around for 27 years, and has both DE and race groups). You are referring to Checked Flag Driving Events.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:09 PM
casey151
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if any GPS valve controllers work for Thunderhill? I have a GMG center muffler delete on my 991.1 GT3 and I'm worried about passing sound even there.

Quick Reply: Track Nanny gps PSE Controller