Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE retrofitting: Is Sport Tailpipe mandatory??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:43 PM
maplefrm
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for posting the results of adding PSE, it's nice to get the whole report.
The following users liked this post:
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:23 PM
nwhit
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just received my retro kit today! Scheduled for install in about a week. Doing the switch. Took the plunge based on this excellent thread, so thanks to the OP! Can’t wait to hear it!
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-07-2018, 10:09 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by nwhit
Just received my retro kit today! Scheduled for install in about a week. Doing the switch. Took the plunge based on this excellent thread, so thanks to the OP! Can’t wait to hear it!
You are very welcome! You will love your PSE. Just a friendly reminder that the PSE may alter your driving habit. After I got my PSE, I started staying at a lower gear longer and accelerate harder to enjoy the intoxicating exhaust note. As the result, my MPG is suffering. 😁
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-07-2018, 08:42 PM
nwhit
8th Gear

Originally Posted by storii

You are very welcome! You will love your PSE. Just a friendly reminder that the PSE may alter your driving habit. After I got my PSE, I started staying at a lower gear longer and accelerate harder to enjoy the intoxicating exhaust note. As the result, my MPG is suffering. 😁
Yes, I’ve had that problem since acquiring the 981. Just plain drive it too much and too far just to listen to it sing. I used to have a 930 and loved the sound of that, but have to say I’m enjoying the 981 even more. No doubt the PSE add-on will make it even more addictive! Had wished the car came with that option but it didn’t, so was glad to see how a retrofit would work.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 PM
nwhit
8th Gear

Just got it back from the dealer install. Wow! Very pleased. A couple observations:

1) It is definitely louder than the stock system (2013 Base) even at idle.

2) It does have a drone at about 2-2300 rpm in 6th or 7th, but not too bad. Hopefully won’t be annoying on long trips. And it doesn’t appear to go away by switching the PSE off.

3) Really pops with shifts in lower gears (PDK).

Now I need to plan a trip! It is already addictive!

PS - For reference, I also reused my black twin tailpipe.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:07 PM
rob_
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is everyone doing with their stock systems? Dealer should be finished installing the PSE on my 981CS today and they're asking if I want to keep the stock set up assembled. nwhit, what did you end up doing with yours?
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:34 PM
nwhit
8th Gear

I kept the button kit just in case I ever might need a spare part. But I have absolutely no space to store the actual mufflers for selling on eBay etc, so left those. Not sure how easily they might sell but not even an option for me.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:49 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Just got it back from the dealer install. Wow! Very pleased. A couple observations:

1) It is definitely louder than the stock system (2013 Base) even at idle.

2) It does have a drone at about 2-2300 rpm in 6th or 7th, but not too bad. Hopefully won’t be annoying on long trips. And it doesn’t appear to go away by switching the PSE off.

3) Really pops with shifts in lower gears (PDK).

Now I need to plan a trip! It is already addictive!

PS - For reference, I also reused my black twin tailpipe.
I'm glad you are happy with your PSE. Surprised that the drone didn't go away by turning the PSE off. It is different from my own experience. Could it be a difference between PDK and manual?
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:54 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rob_
What is everyone doing with their stock systems? Dealer should be finished installing the PSE on my 981CS today and they're asking if I want to keep the stock set up assembled. nwhit, what did you end up doing with yours?
I kept my stock exhaust and sold it here in the classified. It took over a month but it did sell eventually. Sold it for $300 shipped and netted about $140 after the shipping cost. I told the dealer to put the stock exhaust in the box that the PSE kit came in and shipped it as is. I might not have taken the trouble if I had to do the packaging by myself.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 PM
rob_
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept the button kit just in case I ever might need a spare part. But I have absolutely no space to store the actual mufflers for selling on eBay etc, so left those. Not sure how easily they might sell but not even an option for me.
No plans on selling it, but also don't have any plans on keeping it around. Didn't know if dealer would dispose of it for me.

I kept my stock exhaust and sold it here in the classified. It took over a month but it did sell eventually. Sold it for $300 shipped and netted about $140 after the shipping cost. I told the dealer to put the stock exhaust in the box that the PSE kit came in and shipped it as is. I might not have taken the trouble if I had to do the packaging by myself.
Interesting. Hadn't thought of selling it. Guess if they won't take it, I'll have them box it just in case.

Thanks, y'all!
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:09 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm glad you are happy with your PSE. Surprised that the drone didn't go away by turning the PSE off. It is different from my own experience. Could it be a difference between PDK and manual?
i know there are different sensitivity levels to what people define as “drone” but I have read elsewhere on here that the effect is more pronounced on PDKs for whatever reason. I have a manual and have noted 0 drone (but I may be less observant of it?). PSE is a “must-have” for me (have it on both our P-cars)..
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-19-2018, 01:00 AM
nwhit
8th Gear

Yes, that might be possible. While driving or accelerating,it is overall quieter with the switch off. That said, at idle the low end rumble stays about the same, while the overall volume is louder. In this first day, it seems the different exhaust/mufflers simply have more low frequency whether the switch is on or off. Lots of difference on volume, pops, gurgling, etc. And much stronger under throttle. Overall, love the improvement.

I guess it is possible the pdk makes some difference. At 2-2300 rpm, that’s right around “normal” freeway speed with the pdk, so that’s where I could hear the low end drone. That said, couldn’t really hear it with the radio on or the windows down, so not anticipated to make any real issue for me. It’s minor enough that it can be masked pretty easily.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:31 PM
nwhit
8th Gear

Did my first tunnels today post PSE upgrade. WOW!!!
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 03:07 PM
erahm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to make the same mod on my 2015 "S" model with PDK (daily driver). I do know the existing tip will work but I'm a little confused what this "drone" expression means. Also plan on installing without the electronics or just using one of the wireless systems out there. If not using the Porsche on/off switch, does the dealer still need to do the $200 mod to the vehicle computer for Sport Exhaust?

Last edited by erahm; 09-09-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:13 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erahm
Looking to make the same mod on my 2015 "S" model with PDK (daily driver). I do know the existing tip will work but I'm a little confused what this "drone" expression means. Also plan on installing without the electronics or just using one of the wireless systems out there. If not using the Porsche on/off switch, does the dealer still need to do the $200 mod to the vehicle computer for Sport Exhaust?
Drone is very subjective. A drone to one person is not necessarily a drone to another person. I initially noticed a slight drone at around 2800 rpm (IIRC) but I don't hear it anymore. I probably got used to it.

If you don't have the OEM on/off switch installed, there will be no need to have a dealer to reprogram your car.
erahm (09-09-2020)

Quick Reply: PSE retrofitting: Is Sport Tailpipe mandatory??