968 Forum 1992-1995

Considering 968, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 02:17 PM
CarGuy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 968, any advice?

So, as you can tell I'm new to this place, and to Porsche's in general. I currently own a nice 94 VW Corrado. However, there is a possibility that I may get some nice money for this car, in which case I would be looking for a replacement. The first thing that came to mind was a 968. I love these cars, and in reality, I think this car would be a fantastic upgrade from the VW.

If the current car gets sold, I'd be looking at spending around $16k for a 968, which from my preliminary search seems to get me a pretty decent car. I read the FAQ and a couple of threads mentioning the timing and cam belt issues. The faq mentioned that it would cost $500 or so to get the timing belts replaced. This seems really low. Is it an accurate price?

So, another reason I'm looking at the 968 is great balance and excellent stock performance. However, I know I'm not going to be buying a toyota or honda with regard to reliability. My concern is the cost of upkeep. What would the average cost of ownership of a decent 968 be in a given year. Aside from the aforementioned timing issues and hatch and sunroof seals, what other gremlins lurk in these cars? I recall reading a year ago about some sort of driveline vibration problem.

Contrary to what most people believe, my corrado has been amazingly reliable. In the 3.5 yrs I've owned it just a secondary water pump, abs magnets, steering rack boots, thermostat and cam position sensor have needed replacing. This is the type of experience I expect with a newer, (obviously) well engineered Porsche. Am I smoking crack here?

Any advice or comments for the newb would be great. I love to drive. I don't want a car that is going to sit in my garage because I can't afford repairs or it is broken too often.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-18-2003, 03:50 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

They make excellent daily drivers. Depending on what's been done to the car already, it could cost you around $1k a yr give or take a few. This is taking into consideration that all major services have already been performed.
You should make sure the timing, balance shaft belts are done. Also, if its a 6speed, make sure there is no transmission whine (pinion bearing). Also, some of them have had issues with cam chain tensioner.
The flywheel can also be a problem due to it have a dual mass design. Get a good PPI done and have them check for pinion bearings/flywheel/chain tensioner and check for prior service records. If everything is clean and the previous owner can provide records of all belt work being complete, you might just go another 30-45k without needing anything.
I know a few people that use them as daily drivers so they are quite reliable.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the 968 is a great car, as long as you get a well kept car that has not been abused the cars are pretty reliable. My 60k service visit cost me about $1500, but I went to the dealer so at $90 an hour you do the math. There are places like sunset prosche where you can get parts cheaper and if you use an independant shop labor cost will be down. All in all a 968 is not a money pit as long as you get one that has been well taken care of.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:38 PM
CarGuy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I like to hear. I was on 968.net asking a very similar question and got similar answers. Though perusing the archives, I found that getting a bad 968 will likely turn into a very very pricey purchase.

Another question, how is insurance on these cars. I got quoted a price of $900 or so/yr by my insurance company..full coverage. This is about $300 more than my VW. Is this a good price?
Old 11-22-2003, 04:41 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

The insurance on all three of my P-cars is pretty close... all around $500 each per year. If you are planning on getting any speeding tickets, your results may vary! lol

Regards,
Old 11-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should buy this one: it's pristine

Pristine 968 in Colorado

Quick Reply: Considering 968, any advice?