968 Forum 1992-1995

Questions on the 968 Turbo bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 03:46 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Questions on the 968 Turbo bumper

So I am curious, was this actually poured into a mold? Or did Porsche Motorsports just modify existing bumpers with a wider opening plasti-welded in or something and make a new hole with cap for the tow point, and modify the bumper enforcement?

Thanks!

Last edited by touareg; 12-28-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:42 PM
ab54666
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it must have been from a mold, once upon a time you could buy one direct from Porsche.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:07 PM
touareg
Drifting

Thanks, I have heard both in the past, even when they were purchased from Porsche Motorsports, they were just factory modified bumpers. Just out of curiosity, wanted to hear what others know (and from the few on here that own them)
Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was told they are factory modified i.e. not from their own mould.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:45 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a real factory 968 turbo bumper they are just extremely well done modified versions of the standard bumpers. When I got it as you can see the factory filler and taped off primer in modified area is clearly visible. It was almost ready for paint just needed a bit of fine sand work and 2 coats of primer over entire part. Then I let paint sit for a month and get hard. Guide coated it, a bit more sanding and was ready for a seal coat, maritime blue base and final clear. Oh and boy are the lighter non mettalic paints so much easier to match.
Attached Images    
Old 12-30-2016, 10:52 AM
touareg
Drifting

Wow. Thanks Feen! Any chance you can put up some higher resolution photos?

I see to that yours does not have the bung and hole for the tow point on the left? Were their different versions?
Old 12-30-2016, 12:55 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

So the thing you call a bung is actually a 964 part # tow hook bumper cover plug. And it goes in just that, a simple hole you can drill of the correct Diam for this factory plug to fit in. Remember the 968 turbos were parts bin cars and almost every single part they used was something they had already made. They just improvised with whatever they had to make a quick special options designed for top speed and all out performance. There speed shop just had a lot of experience and hands on know how to accomplish a almost perfect machine. The early 90's were a slow period for the masses at Porsche they had just turned out 10's of thousands of 924/944/928 and almost as many 911's. But once the 968 and 964 was midway into production there were no buyers so only a few thousand a year had to be made so they prob had 100 seasoned men working in the speed shop to come up with all sorts of different ways to spice the market up. I think the 964 had over 12 special edition custom low build number models maybe more. They had the time and man power to make anything really a wonderful time for creative porsche ingenuity if you ask me.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2016, 01:11 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

I purchased a larger number of factory turbo S & RS parts from a original turbo RS owner who sold the car and they didn't buy any spares. He held onto them for a short time after then decided to sell most of them that's when I purchased them. The hood and F bumper, front and rear wing, bumper cover were all as new from weissach purchased as spares over the life or career of turbo RS. Interestingly enough all the body parts are turbo S spec and any RS mods were carried out later or bye individual teams.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 PM
touareg
Drifting

Thanks Boost Feen, this is why I love the older cars, so raw and fun to tinker with.

So I am about to start my bumper mod project.

I will drill the hole for the tow point as I use it once in awhile.

I asume after I cut up the crash guard, I can just move the unbolted thread point over. Also was there any sort of oval (_____) like tube that extended the intake to the intercooler?

I liner of sorts?

Any tips on what to instruct my painter to do, or should I just buy a gun, wait for it to get warmer and start spraying in an outdoor tent with ventilation.

Also one of my fenders I want to pull at the same time and get re-painted. Last paint job was not that hot.

Of topic I guess but does anyone have steps on what should be done to re-seal the joints to the body? Don't want water trapped in there.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:01 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by touareg
Thanks Boost Feen, this is why I love the older cars, so raw and fun to tinker with.

So I am about to start my bumper mod project.

I will drill the hole for the tow point as I use it once in awhile.

I asume after I cut up the crash guard, I can just move the unbolted thread point over. Also was there any sort of oval (_____) like tube that extended the intake to the intercooler?

I liner of sorts?

Any tips on what to instruct my painter to do, or should I just buy a gun, wait for it to get warmer and start spraying in an outdoor tent with ventilation.

Also one of my fenders I want to pull at the same time and get re-painted. Last paint job was not that hot.

Of topic I guess but does anyone have steps on what should be done to re-seal the joints to the body? Don't want water trapped in there.
yes you can simply unbolt and move your front toe lug whichever side you please passenger side was where I have seen them the most. On the intercooler duct I used 2 factory 951 units cut one along top section the other one along bottom section then fuse them together with mesh drywall tape and 3M poly bumper repair 2 part glue. This gives you a nice factory style duct into intercooler that shrouds the bumper covers new larger opening as bumper cover slips inside this new duct.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM
touareg
Drifting

Thanks, I assume you mean this part?

Old 02-15-2017, 01:17 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Yes that's the one
Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 PM
touareg
Drifting

Most awesome
Old 02-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

I'll admit I didn't take the easiest approach...in retrospect, wish I'd had the insight from Boost Feen. Would of freed up a few Benjamin's for other parts.
Attached Images    
Old 02-16-2017, 02:37 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

I think mine took 1 hr and maybe $25 for ok used parts
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Questions on the 968 Turbo bumper