Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Trying to get familiar with my new 968..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Trying to get familiar with my new 968..

Hello everyone, I am still learning new things about my 968 that has taken place of the 944 Turbo S I had for five years, but sold it as part of a house change.

The other day I googled the VIN number, and it came up with one hit - from an italian porsche forum where the car was discussed. My car was originally sold in Italy and was imported to DK last year by the previous owner. Reading the tread, I learned that my car has had the catalyst removed back in '95 and apparently also had been chipped accordingly. My car feels quite healthy and quick with a nice little roar from the exhaust when accelerating. I don't have much to compare with, so I can't tell whether this is due to the car being cat-less and chipped, but it certainly stirred my curiousity.

So I retreived the motronic unit today and opened it up, but to me it looks like the chip is stock.?!? I have attached a pic so if someone here could have a look and tell me what chip is in there.?

I also had a look at the airfilter, but that does not look like a stock paper filter, but it doesnt actually say anywhere what it is then. Does anybody recognise what filter this is.? It has metal mesh on the back side..
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2016, 09:36 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The chip looks stock. Filter looks to be a high flow type. Make sure you don't get too much build up on your maf from the oil in the air filter.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Motosport
Racer

Thanks Raj.. Car runs really well, but maybe I should get some give the maf a good clean just be sure. And maybe re-oil the filter as it appeared quite dry. Or perhaps just replace with stock paper filter, or a K&N, so I know what's in my car..

Alex.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:35 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I always prefer paper/oem filters. For what they are worth, aftermarket filters are not worth it. They could cause issues with your maf.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks like a stock chip to me too, pretty common for folks to pull off the easy to sell expensive bits when they sell a car, as they add very little value and worth more separated than paired with the car.

Now while I have no first hand experience, looking over others dynos, not having the cat shows a loss of HP and TQ. Some others may want to chime int, but the "traditional" old racer tricks from the 70s and 80s don't work on this car.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:03 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

look at your air box lid to see if you are getting a good seal. looks iffy from your picture.

if you are placing an order, the plug for the timing mark is 944 105 131 01

here is the parts diagrams for US spec cars. http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...SA_KATALOG.pdf
Old 06-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Motosport
Racer

Thanks guys.. I thought it was the stock chip, but nice to get confirmation. I might have to order the Promax chip then, as that seems to be the one to have in our 968.

Good spotting on the missing plug, I will get that ordered along with a paperfilter I think. As you also spotted Thomas, the seal on that airfilter looks a bit iffy, and some of the rubber lip has disappeared. It still seals though, as I checked and doubble checked, but for how long.? I certainly don't want rubber bits being sucked into the engine..

And thanks for for link to the parts catalog..! Very handy and I have saved it for future use.

I took the car out for some proper back road scratching last night, and I was so impressed with how well she drove. Diving into the corners and just hugging the choosen line all the way through the turn, Michelins sticking to the tarmac like glue and allowing me to get the power down very early. Not much body roll and the new adjustable koni's doing a great job of absorbing the bumps and undulations while keeping the chassis calm and online. I had a blast and it make me love the 968 even more..

Only one issue though. The previous owner lowered her while having the new koni's installed, and he also set the damping a bit to the comfy side as that was how he liked it. She doesn't feel soft at all but reasonably firm and well damped, but when going full blast through the turns sometimes there is a bit of tire rub on the back wheels. She is wearing 10" rear wheels with 265/35-18 tires so nothing radical. I am not sure what the off set is, but the tires are sitting inside the wheel wells when looking from behind. I kind of like how the suspension is set up now and how she handles, so what is the best way to avoid the tire rubbing.?

- Raise the car again.
- Adjust the damping to harder
- Go to M030 size anti roll bars.?
- drive slower (not really an option is it.?)

Thanks - Alex.
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2016, 06:46 PM
ravenpower
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have problems translating the Italian forum post the link and I will traslate it.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:12 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just because it's a stock chip doesn't mean it hasn't been tuned, there are different methods. Sometimes different cars have rubbing issues, is it just one side or both?
Old 06-03-2016, 04:26 AM
Motosport
Racer

Ah, so its possible to change settings on the stock chip as well.?!? If that is the case, would it be possible to detect in any way.?

Regarding rubbing, it happens on both sides, but only when going really fast with the outside wheel heavily loaded and it hits a dip or the turn has outside camber. I know there is also the option to roll the inner fender, but I don't want to do that.

Thingo, I can see in your signature, that you have a supercharged 968.. What charger are you using.? Is it a kit from a vendor or something you have built yourself. I am looking into supercharging my car as well, and trying to gather as much information as possible on the topic.. Its a shame in you are in Sydney, as my wife is from Melbourne and we spend as much time there as possible when its winter here in Europe, I would love to have a look at your car.. :-)

Alex.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:16 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the car with the supercharger, it's an autorotor, done by some guys locally a number of years ago, it's not the greatest, particularly if you've had any sort of 3litre turbo. I intend to remove it at some time in the future but my other other thing is draining me at the moment. You will find some pics of it on this forum.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Motosport
Racer

I've had some more quality time with my 968 which have raised a couple of more questions..

I noticed that the throttle body is water cooled, or at least that it has coolant hoses going in and out of it. My previous 951 didn't have that, so what is the purpose of this feauture in the 968.?

I replaced the condenser as the old one was leaking, so now I have nice cold aircon again. But I also found out that the temp dial seems out of calibration or just not accurate, because it has to be dialled up 5-6 degrees above the desired temp to actually achieve it. So if I want a comfy 22 degrees C the temp dial has to be turned up to 28 C.

It was exactly the same with my previous 951, so now I am wondering if this is a normal issue on our cars and if others are having the same experience.?

Alex.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Motosport
I've had some more quality time with my 968 which have raised a couple of more questions..

I noticed that the throttle body is water cooled, or at least that it has coolant hoses going in and out of it. My previous 951 didn't have that, so what is the purpose of this feauture in the 968.?

I replaced the condenser as the old one was leaking, so now I have nice cold aircon again. But I also found out that the temp dial seems out of calibration or just not accurate, because it has to be dialled up 5-6 degrees above the desired temp to actually achieve it. So if I want a comfy 22 degrees C the temp dial has to be turned up to 28 C.

It was exactly the same with my previous 951, so now I am wondering if this is a normal issue on our cars and if others are having the same experience.?

Alex.
Warming of the throttle body helps with emissions.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:14 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

PV=nRT....the purpose is to keep the condensate on the throttle body from freezing.

Griffins might have some info on calibrating the dashboard temp sensor.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Did you replace the condenser yourself?

Quick Reply: Trying to get familiar with my new 968..