968 Forum 1992-1995

White M030 on eBay...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:58 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Definitely a fine example. Before you consider a boxster, I would strongly recommend you test drive one. I found that car to reek cheapness everywhere. The materials used everywhere are not one would expect from Porsche. You could see a strong attempt of cost cutting going from a 968 to a boxster. Add to that, the hundreds of thousands sold. There is a reason why 968's are selling for more. No m96 issues, better build quality, exclusivity etc.
Back to the m030 discussion..
As long as the buyer knows what they are getting into, I feel I have done my service to the community. I went there to check it for the same reason, the potential of what this car can be. Having wrenched on so many, I cannot see how anyone can put this car back together in pristine condition for under $20k. When said and done, you have a 2 owner 100k mile m030 for around $35-38k.
I think for most it's a hard pill to swallow. I, on the other hand know what it takes to bring a car up to a restored standard. I did this on my cab, spent well over $20k, not taking labor into account. It made sense to me because I love the color and it has a one of one status. I paid for the color and would do it all over again. People have paid as much as a $100k extra on a used 911 just for Riviera blue color. Crazy, yes but I can see the lure
I agree re: the Boxster. That is what is keeping me away from 996's. However with the Boxster the price of entry is so low that I can forgive it. I would probably go a different direction with the Boxster and modify the suspension and so forth to make it into a real handler. The 968 I would want absolutely stock. The Boxsters, like you have alluded to with the productions numbers are almost disposable at the moment.

To be honest, even the 997 that I had for a week didn't blow me away from an interior perspective. The 991's and newer Caymans are a big step up in my opinion. My father had a 997.1 S that I have fond memories of, but now, with a lot more context it had a whiff of "never meet your heroes." I really like the clean, simple, high-quality feel of the pre-996 cars.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:11 PM
LTDzak
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know what became of this well worn white M030 968? I had come close to scheduling a test drive some weeks back, but it has apparently sold.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:38 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LTDzak
Anyone know what became of this well worn white M030 968? I had come close to scheduling a test drive some weeks back, but it has apparently sold.
Consider yourself fortunate it sold. Unless you were planning to spend a good $20k on top and tons of your time, it doesn't add up.

Last edited by RajDatta; 05-01-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:16 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

For any SERIOUS m030 buyers out there, I plan to put the black m030 up for sale within the next day. I will be listing it for $29,900. Details will be added to the for sale thread.

Quick Reply: White M030 on eBay...