Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 West Coast Gathering 2016!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:57 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Nope, not moving it, just signing you up for next year's event coordinator :-)
Old 02-17-2016, 01:57 AM
4kix66
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many cars are you expecting for this event? Do you have any idea the max that has ever attended an independent 968 event not tied to something else?

Do you have an agenda?

I'm trying to decide when, where, why, what if I want to do in 2017. My possible venues if anybody wants to comment and comments invited and encouraged, please.

Santa Fe (yes New Mexico) One great City. Don't die without seeing it.
Yosemite area
Monterey/Carmel
Gold Country (somewhere Placerville to Jametown on Hwy 49)
Wine country 1. Napa.
Wine country 2. Coastal California. Santa Barbara ish.
Oakland (just kidding, GEEZ, lighten up)
Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay
Bodega Bay
Old 02-26-2016, 06:25 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Great to see you wanting to start planning the next event. There have been prior 968 gatherings, although Tahoe will be the first I’ve attended – others should be able to share their experiences and desires. Since these seem to be fairly casual and short events, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of an agenda, certainly not a formalized PCA-like agenda, so you are free to set your own. In Tahoe the event will consist of an informal get-together Friday evening in the hotel bar and later in the hospitality room (the suite I have reserved with outdoor patio and living area) as people arrive from their drives in. The Hotel will serve hors d'oeuvres early evening during our private use of the bar, later the bar is open to the public and there will be live music until closing. No formal dinner planned, we’ll play it by ear based on how many people are there; I have a list of places we can eat nearby. In the hospitality room people will be able continue to visit till I kick them out so I can get some sleep – bring your favorite wine or scotch or ?? Sat morning after breakfast we’ll take off on a scenic drive that will take till mid to late-afternoon with a stop for lunch. Saturday night is a group dinner. And more visiting in the hospitality room afterwards. Sunday mid-morning will be another drive, this one to the west so those that want to head home can be part way there (if from CA). Probably wine tasting, lunch. Those that don’t need to head back will return to Tahoe for more time together at dinner and hospitality room. Monday morning departure. Trying to work in a “tech session” in somewhere, it may consist of “show and tells” in the parking lot Sat and Sun morning. I have another idea I am percolating.

As far as possible locations, I believe it needs to be reasonably close to where people don’t have to drive too far. I think Santa Fe, while a great place to visit, is too far from the west coast to be practical, although it seems that there was a 968 gathering in Albuquerque some years back. I have gotten some push-back for selecting Tahoe rather than somewhere closer to the coast. But those of us from farther east don’t mind the drive to Tahoe. My advice would be to pick a place with easy driving access and fun drives available. After Tahoe we’ll have some conversation about what people liked/didn’t like and you’ll get some more ideas for 2017.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:34 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Have a hotel update for everyone. The rates at the 968 Park have gone up for those that have not made reservations yet. Our rate was pegged to a discount from rack, and the hotel just raised the rack rate, a couple months earlier that they thought they would. I guess this summer season is looking good for the S. Lake Tahoe area.

So, the new rate is 20% off of rack rate, rather than the 15% we had before. Normal discounts, like for AAA, are 10%, so our rate is still best offer at that hotel. They will also continue to waive the "resort fee", further saving some money. The rest of the package (covered parking, reception drink coupons, etc) are still in place.

They are down to only 20 vacant rooms in the hotel.

So, those of us that jumped on early have a heck of a rate, since those are fixed, and can there-by afford to bring better wines. Those that haven't made up their minds, and not yet made reservations, better do so soon before they sell out or bump the rates again.

The adjacent hotel, the Park Tahoe, which offered lower amenities and rates, is closed for remolding and may not be re-opened in time for us. I have checked around the very close hotels and not found better rates without room guarantees, which I can't do, but I did see some properties on Kayak that have lower rates. So, if you plan to go but want to spend less, i recommend searching for the hotel and rate you want and book it soon!

Sorry for the changes, but it happens..
Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Working on the Sunday drive route and think I've found a nice drive that will take us past some wineries where we could stop for a while. Need some guidance from the more knowledgeable of you on these wineries. Please take a look at http://fairplaywine.com/wineries/

Let me know if you think any of them would be worth setting up tastings for the group and which ones.

Thanks,
Old 06-21-2016, 09:49 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Here's the latest on the 968 West Coast Gathering Agenda - July 8-10. Still time to sign up but don't wait too long!

Friday, July 8: Arrivals, car wash area at hotel available if needed, late afternoon/early evening no host reception in 968 Park Hotel bar/lobby, casual dinner at nearby restaurants (I'm thinking about a German restaurant, let me know if you are interested). BYO hospitality room at 968 Park Hotel for after-dinner get-together.

Saturday, July 9: Morning gathering at 968 Park Hotel, mid-morning departure for loop drive east on some great roads (departure time TBA), lunch in Virginia City, group dinner at J. T. Basque restaurant in Gardnerville, NV, photo ops, car wash area at hotel, after-hours get-together at hospitality room (BYO or some donated wine and scotch tastings, etc.)

Sunday, July 10: mid-Morning departure for loop drive southwest over great driving route for lunch and wine tasting at Vino Noceto. Those that want to depart Sunday afternoon depart can depart from there while the rest return to SLT, group dinner in SLT for those staying.

Monday, July 11: Final depart for home.

Let me know if you have any thoughts/questions.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:12 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished all of my winter maint (its summer, I know) and would like to make it but seems doubtful at this point.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:17 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

I'm finishing up my winter maintenance this week so I can make it. Hope things change so you can join us.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by az968gpw
Sunday, July 10: mid-Morning departure for loop drive southwest over great driving route for lunch and wine tasting at Vino Noceto. Those that want to depart Sunday afternoon depart can depart from there while the rest return to SLT, group dinner in SLT for those staying.
Thinking about meeting up with you guys Sun morning for a drive through the countryside, lunch, wine tasting, and maybe dinner in SLT.

Are you guys open to other enthusiasts?
Old 06-25-2016, 01:06 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

I would say that it's intended to be for 968s. If you hurry you can buy one before then and join us.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:24 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many cars so far?
Old 06-25-2016, 08:29 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Somewhere over 20, still working on some fence sitters.

Are you coming?
Old 06-26-2016, 04:09 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

yes doing hotel call today
Old 07-04-2016, 02:32 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

So here is the latest on the early part of the weekend.

Check in at the 968 Park, even if you are staying someplace else, and ask at the front desk for the Porsche 968 Gathering material. There will be an envelope with details about the weekend, maps and directions for the Sat and Sun drives, and other tips.

Couple of things to start off the weekend: We will have the bar/lounge available at 4 pm for our early use. I plan to arrive in SLT around 1 pm.on Friday. Come to the lounge at 4 and we'll be there. Feel free to bring snacks, etc, - we can bring in our own treats (sorry, no alcohol, laws, you know, but people staying at the Park will get two drink tickets they can use).

I'm afraid the car wash area isn't going to happen, there is a water use restriction in place now and hoses are verboten. But, there are some nearby car washes listed on the check-in material that you can visit.

Dinner Friday night is not an organized dinner. Not knowing how many would be there in time for dinner, and not being able to find a restaurant flexible enough to work with me, complicated that. Restaurants are very busy right now. We could bring in pizza for the hospitality room if that works for people or break into small groups and hit the town. Or you can make reservation now for your choice of places to eat, just check on Yelp.

Dinner Sat night will be a cash affair, no credit cards. $33/person including wine, taxes and tips.So stock up on US currency.

There is major remodeling going on at their adjacent property, which is why it was closed for us to use, so parking is restricted at the hotel. When you check in, be sure to secure your covered parking space, they are being held for us. We will have to gather off-site to begin our drives, information will be in your package. The Saturday start time is being finalized, expect to be ready to leave at 9 am and I"ll let you know if it is any later..

Got some fun stuff planned for the weekend, come ready to play!

I'll post any last minute changes NLT Thursday evening.

Looking forward to seeing you all in SLT!
Old 07-10-2016, 12:41 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

I have a pic of the event on my desk top but can't move it to the thread. What's up with that?

Quick Reply: 968 West Coast Gathering 2016!