968 Forum 1992-1995

968s in the wild - Fort Lauderdale FL

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 03:01 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 968s in the wild - Fort Lauderdale FL

So, last week the wife and I escaped New England for 5 days and visited Fort Lauderdale Florida for the first time. Beautiful place and great weather but it was also a car lover's dream with a constant rolling car show on A1A. We would sit at cafe's along this road and enjoy the coastline and I would also watch the cars (okay, the girls as well ). Anyway, all kinds of cars, Ferraris, Lambos, many R8s, C7s, a few Rolls, muscle cars, and hot rods. The most interesting was an indescribable DONK made out of of an 86 Dodge K-car convertible!!! But my favorite, and what got me most excited was a 968! (of course). I'm sitting enjoying breakfast and I catch it out of the corner of my eye, a beautiful red 968 cab. I stormed up from my seat and tried to flag down the owner but it was too late, he had already passed. Still, of all those fantastic cars I saw, the 968 was my favorite!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the simple things in life....LOL. Had the same feeling when I finally ran into another s2 cab, unfortunately hasn't happened again.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:26 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good timing ( weatherwise ) Jeff, when I started reading your post I thought you'd taken Minty down there with you, that would've been amazing...

Donn
Old 01-09-2015, 01:02 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Ft Lauderdale has lots of nice cars crusin A1A. Most of Florida can still have some great weather this time of year, especially down south. But its can fluctuate wildly in short time frames. Last week we hit 82* two days in a row here in Jax, setting a record one of the days.

But today wouldn't have been a good time to be in the northern half of the state. High temp here today was supposed to hit 42* at the airport on the north end of the city. We are at the southern end of the city, within a half mile of the St Johns River(which usually helps keep temps a few degrees warmer than the official temps); Yet on our back screened patio today at 3pm, the thermometer was at 35*! Winds chill was in the teens all day. Good news is temps will be back around 70* by Monday!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 AM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last Saturday it was 43 in Gainesville FL. Our temps can be highly variable. Wife and I drove south to Ocala and had lunch at The Schnitzel Factory. Between Gainesville and Ocala is what is known locally as "horse country". Why? Rolling hills (somewhat), and high monied horse ranches as in the attached image. Great drive, and good food.

Looking forward to seeing a few 968 on the Ritz Carlton, Porsche fairway zone, at Amelia Island, Saturday March 14, immediately preceding Amelia Island Concours d' Elegance.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2015, 10:19 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Gotta go to Amelia one of these yrs. Seen it on TV, highly intrigued.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:19 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Grant I believe you are putting your 968 in the Cars & Coffee event at Amelia Island on Sat 14th; I'll have my cab there too. I'm assisting with the Porsche group so I'm sure we'll have them parked next to each other. Look forward to meeting you & seeing your great 968. Mel

Quick Reply: 968s in the wild - Fort Lauderdale FL